Apple says New Year's 'Do Not Disturb' bug will fix itself Jan. 7

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple has posted a support document on its website, informing users that a bug with the "Do Not Disturb" feature in iOS 6 will automatically be resolved after Jan. 7.

The document, published on Wednesday, acknowledges the "symptom" of the problem, in which the Do Not Disturb mode stays on past its scheduled end time. The bug went into effect with the start of the new year on Tuesday.

"Do Not Disturb scheduling feature will resume normal functionality after January 7, 2013," Apple's document reads. "Before this date, you should manually turn the Do Not Disturb feature on or off."

Users can manually switch the automatic feature of Do Not Disturb on or off by opening the iOS Settings application, choosing "Notifications," then "Do Not Disturb," and switching "Scheduled." Until next Monday, Jan. 7, the feature will not auto-enable or disable as it has done since the launch of iOS 6 in September.

The timing of the bug is noteworthy as Apple released an ad on New Years Day to tout the Do Not Disturb function as a key feature of the iPhone 5. The ad features tennis players Venus and Serena Williams playing ping-pong in a dream against a narrator, voiced by actor Jeff Daniels.

The iPhone has a history of New Year's bugs, with another issue arising at the start of 2011 that prevented non-repeating alarms from ringing. When the bug became known, Apple suggested that users set recurring alarms until Jan. 3 of that year, when the alarms automatically began working again properly.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 54
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    "Do Not Disturb" scheduler is probably taking a new years vacation. Give him a break!
  • Reply 2 of 54
    It should be Jeff Goldblum. Remember those ads?
  • Reply 3 of 54
    I wonder what causes this bug.
  • Reply 4 of 54
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    so will it appear next new year's if you don't upgrade?

Sounds like 'DO NOT DISTURB -GATE' to me. :)
  • Reply 5 of 54
    Sounds so strange haha
  • Reply 6 of 54

This is bullshit... Apple and their: "you're holding it wrong", "the previous clock bug", and this new bug that we have to wait until the 7th. They didn't have to wait to get my money... This is simply crappy, shoddy work... I like Apple but this is crap...

• Reply 7 of 54
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    Why does technology have so much trouble with our arbitrary and inconsistent manner of defining time?
  • Reply 8 of 54
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    I'm surprised that the statement from Apple wasn't something more like "this is a bug that will fix itself on January 7 and we will be fixing it as quickly as possible with our next software update as well." Just saying that the problem will go away on its own on the seventh kind of implies that they don't think it's a huge issue and they're not immediately working on a fix, which I'm sure they are, but they really should make that clear.
  • Reply 9 of 54
    cgjcgj Posts: 276member

"NotAlertedWhenGirlfriendIsAngryAndIsAboutToKillYouGate"

• Reply 10 of 54
    If (date < jan-07 && date > dec-31)
    { fail; }
  • Reply 11 of 54
    igxqrrligxqrrl Posts: 105member

Quote:

Originally Posted by dysamoria View Post

Why does technology have so much trouble with our arbitrary and inconsistent manner of defining time?

I imagine that this was meant tongue-in-cheek, but the fact is that robust date libraries are readily available and, no doubt, used by other portions of iOS.

The common cause of these issues are new/naive coders who aren't aware of the libraries they should be using, and thus try to do the calculations themselves (and, almost universally, incorrectly).

• Reply 12 of 54

Does this mean iOS 6.1 around the corner?

• Reply 13 of 54
    kpluckkpluck Posts: 500member

Quote:

Originally Posted by einsteinbqat View Post

Poor coding and testing.

-kpluck

• Reply 14 of 54
    igxqrrl wrote: »
    I imagine that this was meant tongue-in-cheek, but the fact is that robust date libraries

The common cause of these issues are new/naive coders who aren't aware of the libraries they should be using, and thus try to do the calculations themselves (and, almost universally, incorrectly).

Hm. Does this point to sloppy work on SE level? I would expect this to be caught here.
  • Reply 15 of 54

This is a non-issue, people complaining are whiners.

Do Not Disturb being on doesn't mean you can't use your phone.

It works fine for me.

Fandroids trashing Apple over this should go away.

This is another media sensation just because it's Apple, it's a manufactured issue created to get more traffic and ad clicks.

People who claim they are experiencing this are lying and should go away and buy another crappy Android phone.

Well, that about covers the issue here on this site.

• Reply 16 of 54
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    techguy911 wrote: »
    This is a non-issue, people complaining are whiners.

Do Not Disturb being on doesn't mean you can't use your phone.

It works fine for me.

Fandroids trashing Apple over this should go away.

This is another media sensation just because it's Apple, it's a manufactured issue created to get more traffic and ad clicks.

People who claim they are experiencing this are lying and should go away and buy another crappy Android phone.

Well, that about covers the issue here on this site.

You joking?

It's a stupid bug. I can't even think how it could happen. I mean I know why someone could mess up a transition to daylight saving, still a bug but its possible to use the non-dsl date in code ( useful sometimes). This makes no sense unless a disgruntled programmer deliberately programmed it.
  • Reply 17 of 54
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member

Quote:

Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

I'm surprised that the statement from Apple wasn't something more like "this is a bug that will fix itself on January 7 and we will be fixing it as quickly as possible with our next software update as well." Just saying that the problem will go away on its own on the seventh kind of implies that they don't think it's a huge issue and they're not immediately working on a fix, which I'm sure they are, but they really should make that clear.

No it pretty much implies that it'll go away on it's on and doesn't need to be fixed (until Jan 1-6 2013 happens again).  Does make you wonder how this particular bug was introduced.

• Reply 18 of 54
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

Quote:

Originally Posted by kpluck View Post

Poor coding and testing.

-kpluck

Like you could do better.

• Reply 19 of 54
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    lkrupp wrote: »
    Like you could do better.

Most coders could do better.
  • Reply 20 of 54
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

Quote:

Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

You joking?

It's a stupid bug. I can't even think how it could happen. I mean I know why someone could mess up a transition to daylight saving, still a bug but its possible to use the non-dsl date in code ( useful sometimes). This makes no sense unless a disgruntled programmer deliberately programmed it.

If a butterfly flaps its wings in the Amazon could it cause rain in Africa? One bit or stack modified way over there could start the dominoes falling. Why do you think it takes so long for some bug fixes to be released? Fix a bug over here and it causes another bug over there sometimes.