Corning's third-gen Gorilla Glass could be bound for next iPhone, iPad

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Glassmaker Corning on Thursday announced Gorilla Glass 3, a stronger, more scratch resistant version of the current substrate used in the display of Apple's iPhone and iPad lines of mobile devices.

Gorilla Glass
Source: Corning

Ahead of the upcoming Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas next week, Corning unveiled its latest glass technologies (via Engadget) including Gorilla Glass 3 and optical cables for use in fiber-supported protocols like Thunderbolt.

As for the next-generation Gorilla Glass 3, Corning claims the material is three times more scratch resistant than the previous version thanks to "Native Damage Resistance" technology. The company also claims that of the scratches that do occur on the glass, 40 percent fewer will be visible to the naked eye.

Not much information was provided pertaining to the optical cables, but the fiber format promises enhanced speeds and longer cable runs compared to current copper-based solutions. When Apple first launched Thunderbolt-compatible Macs and the Thunderbolt display, the company promised increased performance when optical cables hit the market. Thus far, production of the expensive components has been non-existent, but that is expected to change in 2013.

Thunderbolt Cable

Corning Glass Technologies President James P. Clappin is scheduled to be a panelist on in the ?Disruptive Technologies Impacting the Future of Games and Video? session at 11 a.m. PST on Tuesday, Jan. 8, and will discuss the role of specialized glass in consumer electronics like high-resolution 3D, HD video, internet-connected TVs and tablets, among other devices.

Full details regarding the new products are expected to be revealed on Jan. 7, with demonstrations scheduled to run throughout CES.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 64
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Steve Jobs to Corning CEO...

"We need a glass that is thin and scratch resistance."
    "Well, we have this stuff we made nearly 50 years ago that we never had a use for."
    "We'll take it. We need it in 2 months."
    "We can't possibly get production up in that time frame."
    "Yes you can."

Now they have a new version every year and pretty much every person using modern CE should be thanking Jobs for his vision and diligence.
  • Reply 2 of 64
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Steve Jobs to Corning CEO...

"We need a glass that is thin and scratch resistance."

"Well, we have this stuff we made nearly 50 years ago that we never had a use for."

"We'll take it. We need it in 2 months."

"We can't possibly get production up in that time frame."

"Yes you can."

Now they have a new version every year and pretty much every person using modern CE should be thanking Jobs for his vision and diligence.

Why would they thank Steve Jobs for stealing the IP of others... and patenting round corners?  /s

Sorry... had to do it. Had to get the Droid Rage out of the way.

• Reply 3 of 64
    Why would they thank Steve Jobs for stealing the IP of others... and patenting round corners?  /s

Sorry... had to do it. I felt a strong Androidian urge rising in me.

LOL

Remember in 2007 when one of the biggest slams against the iPhone was that had a glass front instead of using the sensible plastic like all other phones? Obviously Apple did that so you'd have to replace the device when you broke the screen. Earlier this year on this forum there was that one girl poster (forget her name) that was claiming the glass wasn't GG but regular glass that was designed to break easily.

At some point in the future I expect there will be a show like James Burke's Connections series that will tie in how Apple help bring a better glass into the future. I expect this to be scratching the surface of what GG has to offer, so to speak.
  • Reply 4 of 64
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member

Quote:

LOL

Remember in 2007 when one of the biggest slams against the iPhone was that had a glass front instead of using the sensible plastic like all other phones? Obviously Apple did that so you'd have to replace the device when you broke the screen. Earlier this year on this forum there was that one girl poster (forget her name) that was claiming the glass wasn't GG but regular glass that was designed to break easily.

I remember that one poster trying to spout-off that lie.  Now all the major players use GG for their phones after Apple showed the industry (yet again) how to do things right.  Conveniently, those freetards are nowhere to be heard from about this subject.  Apparently, the rest of the industry thought up all this sh!t by themselves... NOT.

They should be holding their ankles waiting for Steve Jobs.

• Reply 5 of 64
    v5vv5v Posts: 1,357member

Quote:

LOL

At some point in the future I expect there will be a show like James Burke's Connections that will tie in how Apple help bring a better glass into the future. I expect this to be scratching the surface of what GG has to offer, so to speak.

Why would someone make a claim like that? One needn't deny the use of Gorilla Glass to make the point that the dogdamn thing is still freakin' GLASS and breaks if you drop it. Personally I don't care whether it's GG, window pane or SuperMegaGlass, I just want something that doesn't break when I drop it.

• Reply 6 of 64

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Had to get the Droid Rage out of the way.

Tuck's medicated iPads for immediate relief from itching, burning and irritation.

• Reply 7 of 64
    boeyc15boeyc15 Posts: 986member

Quote:

Originally Posted by v5v View Post

Why would someone make a claim like that? One needn't deny the use of Gorilla Glass to make the point that the dogdamn thing is still freakin' GLASS and breaks if you drop it. Personally I don't care whether it's GG, window pane or SuperMegaGlass, I just want something that doesn't break when I drop it.

Transparent aluminum has not been invented (outside Star Trek) yet.

Although (knock on wood) I have not dropped my iphone, my limited understanding is dropping a iphone or any smart phone(with plastic over LCD)) and it is not a good out come but is better than it use to be.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6M5q5TRuAsY

Either that or you are holding it wrong. /s

• Reply 8 of 64
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member

Quote:

Then don't drop it.  If you do, you have no one to blame but yourself.  Drop a fine-china dinner plate see how that works for you.

Seriously, take responsibility for your actions.  If I drop my phone and it breaks, it's my own damn fault.  Realize that an iPhone is sturdy, but not indestructable.  I've dropped my iPhone plenty of times and breathe a sigh of relief that nothing happened to it.  I'm certainly not going to blame Apple/Corning if it breaks.

As far as I'm concerned, using glass for the front has way more advantages that outweigh the possibility it may break if you drop it on concrete.

• Reply 9 of 64

Quote:

LOL

At some point in the future I expect there will be a show like James Burke's Connections series that will tie in how Apple help bring a better glass into the future. I expect this to be scratching the surface of what GG has to offer, so to speak.

History will show that Steve Jobs actually ushered in an age that included transparent aluminum (or transparent "aluminium" for those who prefer the Jony Ive pronunciation).

• Reply 10 of 64

Quote:

Originally Posted by JollyPaul View Post

Tuck's medicated iPads for immediate relief from itching, burning and irritation.

Just iron it on!

• Reply 11 of 64
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

The idea was put forward by many people at the time.  Mostly because at first, Apple being Apple, they didn't tell anyone whether they were using Gorilla Glass or not.  Ergo, all the freetards an juveniles in the Android camp assumed, that it couldn't be true Gorilla Glass.  

I remember a lot of comments to the effect of "If Apple is using Gorilla Glass, it would say so right in the specs."  Mostly this is because these are the guys that use specs to compare everything, and because all the Android phones mentioned "Gorilla Glass" specifically, in their spec sheets.  The idea that Apple wouldn't actually give a shit about this kind of cross-branding apparently didn't occur to them. 

• Reply 12 of 64
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

History will show that Steve Jobs actually ushered in an age that included transparent aluminum (or transparent "aluminium" for those who prefer the Jony Ive pronunciation).

You mean the correct pronunciation and spelling.  

I know people argue about original English versus American English spellings and say that both are generally ok to use, but in this particular case it's cut and dried.  

There is no such word as "Aluminum."  It has never been spelled that way at all except in the Ozarks.  Any scientist or metallurgist, (even American ones) use the correct spelling which is "Aluminium."  

The English, (being English) pronounce it correctly with the extra "i" whilst the Americans who spell it incorrectly, pronounce it incorrectly based on the faulty spelling.  Pronounce it any way you like, but the word is properly spelled "Aluminium," regardless of country. 

• Reply 13 of 64
    v5v wrote: »

And cars should plastic windshields, too¡ Who cares if some road debris or something in your pocket scratches up the plastic so long as when an accident occurs it only gets scratched the frak up instead of potentially breaking¡ I think I'll stick with GG for my CE and tempered safety glass for my car's windshield, thank you very much.
  • Reply 14 of 64
    gazoobee wrote: »

I know people argue about original English versus American English spellings and say that both are generally ok to use, but in this particular case it's cut and dried.  
    There is no such word as "Aluminum."  It has never been spelled that way at all except in the Ozarks.  Any scientist or metallurgist, (even American ones) use the correct spelling which is "Aluminium."  

The English, (being English) pronounce it correctly with the extra "i" whilst the Americans who spell it incorrectly, pronounce it incorrectly based on the faulty spelling.  Pronounce it any way you like, but the word is properly spelled "Aluminium," regardless of country. 

WHAT?! Where did you get that nonsense?
    aluminum (n.)
    1812, coined by English chemist Sir Humphry Davy (1778-1829), from alumina, name given 18c. to aluminum oxide, from Latin alumen "alum". Davy originally called it alumium (1808), then amended this to aluminum, which remains the U.S. word, but British editors in 1812 further amended it to aluminium, the modern preferred British form, to better harmonize with other metallic element names (sodium, potassium, etc.).

Aluminium, for so we shall take the liberty of writing the word, in preference to aluminum, which has a less classical sound. ["Quarterly Review," 1812]
  • Reply 15 of 64
    gazoobee wrote: »
    The idea was put forward by many people at the time.  Mostly because at first, Apple being Apple, they didn't tell anyone whether they were using Gorilla Glass or not.  Ergo, all the freetards an juveniles in the Android camp assumed, that it couldn't be true Gorilla Glass.  

I remember a lot of comments to the effect of "If Apple is using Gorilla Glass, it would say so right in the specs."  Mostly this is because these are the guys that use specs to compare everything, and because all the Android phones mentioned "Gorilla Glass" specifically, in their spec sheets.  The idea that Apple wouldn't actually give a shit about this kind of cross-branding apparently didn't occur to them. 

Did Steve Jobs during the January 2007 presentation or in any of the chats that followed mention it was a new type of glass material? I don't think so because I think it was still the scratchable plastic with poor optical qualities back in January.

The June 18th, 2007 press release mentions it was switched from plastic to glass but not a single hint that it's a special kind of glass.
  • Reply 16 of 64
    nobodyynobodyy Posts: 377member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Just because it came first does not mean that is is right... In fact, since '93 both aluminum and aluminium are officially listed as acceptable spellings by the IUPAC.

• Reply 17 of 64
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    solipsismx wrote: »

Good one, thank you. Settles it for me. Let both forms exist, but -um has even British priority.

Gazoobee's punishment should be a weekend at the Bates Motel in the Ozarks
  • Reply 18 of 64
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    v5v wrote: »
    I am not saying gg is unbreakable but it is damn good. Not sure i could count how many times I have dropped my iPhones over the years. Only once did the glass crack. A single crack in the bottom corner on my old g3. I used it for at least a year after that.

If you keep breaking the screen on your iPhone you need one of those army covers. Makes your iPhone look like a brick but it can take a drop or two.
  • Reply 19 of 64
    dickprinterdickprinter Posts: 1,060member

Quote:

LOL, don't eff around when there's a sideline etymologist on staff.

• Reply 20 of 64
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    boeyc15 wrote: »

Transparent aluminum has not been invented (outside Star Trek) yet.
    You are woefully out of date here:
    1. http://science.howstuffworks.com/transparent-aluminum-armor.htm
    2. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aluminium_oxynitride
    3. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aluminium_oxynitride
    4. http://www.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123012131
    5. http://phys.org/news167925273.html. <<< A totally different approach.
    6. http://www.mri.psu.edu/faculty/agrawal/media/059.pdf
    Then there is: http://www.coorstek.com/index.php which does some amazing things with ceramics.
    Although (knock on wood) I have not dropped my iphone, my limited understanding is dropping a iphone or any smart phone(with plastic over LCD)) and it is not a good out come but is better than it use to be.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6M5q5TRuAsY

Either that or you are holding it wrong. /s

I don't know what the big deal here is, if the glass breaks after a drop it is your bad luck. I've owned both a 3G and an iPhone 4 and have yet to have broken glass from a drop. The 3G never was once in a case. Frankly the plastic back shell cracked before I gave it up for the iPhone 4. If there was a valid concern about the glass in the iPhones it would be a much bigger concern in the publics mind.