syncing iCloud info with Hotmail and/or other devices

Posted:
in iCloud edited January 2014

I want to know how I can sync iCloud calendars with other email products and/or a phone thats not an iPhone. It doesn't seem I can import it into Hotmail/Outlook, neither does Windows Phone Connector sync calendars, only contacts. Any suggestions for the simplest way to get my Apple Calendars to sync over?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

You'd have to know the server names and input them manually.

• Reply 2 of 7

Wouldn't our techie world be a bliss if developers made full use of current standards in email/data formats so that we’d be living the cross-platform compatible and ethnically universal world of social exchange that the 21 century was envisioned to be. But they continue to squabble over Mac vs PC, iCloud vs Outlook and He said she said. When will these great thinkers (among the powers that be) come to embrace the reality of Diminishing Returns and that 'Technology' is only of benefit, if it works?

• Reply 3 of 7

Originally Posted by bikeamtn View Post

Wouldn't our techie world be a bliss if developers made full use of current standards in email/data formats so that we’d be living the cross-platform compatible and ethnically universal world of social exchange that the 21 century was envisioned to be. But they continue to squabble over Mac vs PC, iCloud vs Outlook and He said she said. When will these great thinkers (among the powers that be) come to embrace the reality of Diminishing Returns and that 'Technology' is only of benefit, if it works?

So… you're claiming an Outlook e-mail address can't receive mail from an iCloud e-mail address?

• Reply 4 of 7

It appears that way for many and myself, haven’t found a solution anywhere yet. If anyone has gotten the iCloud calendar & Hotmail/Outlook calendar to sync, please divulge the details, I’m all ears.

• Reply 5 of 7

Originally Posted by bikeamtn View Post

It appears that way for many and myself, haven’t found a solution anywhere yet.

"Many"? That's nonsense. I posed a completely outlandish scenario and you claim it's the truth?

• Reply 6 of 7

The issue here isn't about email, it's about syncing of Calendars:

What I’ve Found: Hotmail does not use CalDAV so it will not be able to communicate directly to iCal. You can use Gmail or Yahoo or iCloud to access CardDAV / CalDAV. (MS is not compliant with)

The Link Below explains how to transfer (not sync) a Hotmail/Calendar account to a Gmail Calendar account which you then can use to sync with an 'iOS' device.

http://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/calendar/uVeBj5Gnyj8

• Reply 7 of 7
    I want to know how I can sync iCloud calendars with other email products and/or a phone thats not an iPhone. It doesn't seem I can import it into Hotmail/Outlook, neither does Windows Phone Connector sync calendars, only contacts. Any suggestions for the simplest way to get my Apple Calendars to sync over?

What phone are you using? This will dictate which calendaring protocol to use.

If you use Windows 8, then use their calendaring, if android, use google calendar.

There's another distinction to be made, the difference viewing calendars VS actually syncing them.

Example:
    On iOS or Mac Calendar, I can view/edit events from iCloud, Exchange, Google all at once. If I edit an appointment on Calendar on my iPad, an event that resides on a work Exchange server, the change is pushed to my Mac or iPhone.

While events LOOK in sync across my via viewer (calendar) apps, that is because those apps are subscribing to 3 different calendars. The calendar protocols are not really syncing with each other though.

I'm not sure how to truely get sync from iCloud to Windows 8 phone. Also, IIRC, there was either an Windows 8 Phone or Windows 8 PC (or both) update that just killed support for Google Calendar this week.

Yep, it's all a mess.

If you need to use Exchange for work or school, I'd probably stay away from Android, and stick with Apple or MS.