How can I force-quit a menu bar app?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I use an app called meteorologist and it has been acting up lately. It runs through the menu bar, and the only way I can find to get rid of it when it doesn't work properly is by restarting the computer, which is annoying (sounds like Windows! ) There's got to be a way...

Thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    yep, there is a way. two ways apparently..

when meteorologist's acting up again, and you're unable to quit it through the menu it provides when you click on it, do this:

open Terminal (located in Applications/Utilities/)

type top

look for meteorologist and note yourself the PID (process identification number)

then, type q

and enter "kill PID" where PID replaces the number you noted. without the quotes, of course.

that's it.

get yourself <a href="http://www.ambrosiasw.com/utilities/freebies/"; target="_blank">escapepod</a> from AmbrosiaSW. quote from the website:

[quote] escapepod is a little application that lets you terminate the frontmost application by hitting Control-Alt-Delete, terminate the Dock by hitting Shift-Control-Alt-Delete, or do a force-logout by hitting Command-Control-Alt-Delete.

There are times that Mac OS X appears to be hung (especially in some games) when it really isn't -- just the frontmost application's GUI is wedged. The Dock also occasionally stops responding under some circumstances, which can be cured by terminating it. Additionally, when the entire GUI appears to be hung, it is safer to do a force-logout than to simply reboot your machine (and it is quicker, too).

<hr></blockquote>

• Reply 2 of 6
    How do you do a force-logout?
  • Reply 3 of 6
    get yerself escapepod and read the documentation. or read my post, where I linked to the app.

:o
  • Reply 4 of 6
    thanks! The terminal solution worked great, though for some reason I couldn't get EscapePod to kill it. Oh well. The terminal thing was easy enough.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    That's great to hear.

[quote] you terminate the frontmost application <hr></blockquote>
  • Reply 6 of 6
    FYI Meteorologist has been "acting up lately" because weather.com changed its layout. You should download the newer version of Meteorologist that compensates for this.

Also, a simple logout will kill any and all user processes including status menus like this. No need to reboot the whole computer.

[ 01-12-2003: Message edited by: Brad ]</p>