Hands-on with the Pebble smart watch

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
The company behind the Pebble Kickstarter project showed off a number of prototype and final versions of its smart watch product at CES this week, with consumer units shipping out to backers on Jan. 23.

Pebble

Disclosure: The reporter is a Kickstarter backer of the Pebble project.

It was announced on Wednesday that Pebble will start shipments on Jan. 23, and we had a chance to look at the unit up close as the company invited backers attending CES to join them in their suites at the Venetian Hotel to see the long-awaited timepiece.

Looking at the Pebble's hardware, the side control buttons were responsive and the screen looked crisp, with an evenly-diffused backlight that turns on with a tap of the bezel.

Pebble Backlight
Pebble's menu back button and charging port are located to the left of the watch face.

Users can control the e-paper screen with two scroll buttons and one selection button on the right of the watch, while a single larger button on the left is used as a "back button" for the watch's UI. Pebble's polycarbonate shell houses an accelerometer used to operate the backlight, which is activated by tapping on the bezel.

Pebble
The selection and function buttons are located to the right of the watch face.

Sample text messages and emails pushed from phone to watch quickly and without fault. The watchband wasn?t overly stiff (as some rubber watch bands can be) and the company is offering a longer length band to backers for $3 if the one provided is not suitable.

After a brief amount of wrist time, I can say that handling the watch was a rare moment when a product feels like it?s worth more than what you paid for it. The UI is responsive, the text is clear and the materials are of top quality.

Pebble Text

While the software selection is currently sparse, and the SDK doesn?t allow for much more than creating new watch faces, Pebble still holds a lot of promise. The company said it will be rolling out new software versions every few weeks, including an update for IFTTT support that will hit soon after launch.

Other future developments aim to take advantage of the built-in sensors, like a compass and the aforementioned accelerometer. An example would be turn-by-turn directions based on data taken from Pebble's compass rather than the phone's sensor.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 44
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member

I prefer my 6th generation iPod nano watch.  Better looking clock.  The only limitation is no speaker.

• Reply 2 of 44
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    I like what they are trying to do but there is nothing about the current design I would consider buying. It's too limited, too thick, and simply looks cheap.
  • Reply 3 of 44
    Looks really ugly.

Sorry, but in today's world of smartphones, the only purpose a watch serves is as a fashion statement. This makes a little bit of a fashion statement because of the coolness factor, but the extreme ugliness just ruins it.

The iPod Nano makes as much of a "geeky cool" fashion statement, and is pretty good looking to boot.
  • Reply 4 of 44

Quote:

Originally Posted by addicted44 View Post

Looks really ugly.

Sorry, but in today's world of smartphones, the only purpose a watch serves is as a fashion statement. This makes a little bit of a fashion statement because of the coolness factor, but the extreme ugliness just ruins it.

The iPod Nano makes as much of a "geeky cool" fashion statement, and is pretty good looking to boot.

Not a sports-type, are you?

• Reply 5 of 44

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I like what they are trying to do but there is nothing about the current design I would consider buying. It's too limited, too thick, and simply looks cheap.

Sadly, I entirely share that statement. In a world where this dream exists: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1655017763/cst-01-the-worlds-thinnest-watch ... competition is heavy.

• Reply 6 of 44
    lerxtlerxt Posts: 186member
    Looks cheap and nasty.
  • Reply 7 of 44
    Casio is getting a run for its money from the early '80s.
  • Reply 8 of 44
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member

Sadly, I entirely share that statement. In a world where this dream exists: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1655017763/cst-01-the-worlds-thinnest-watch ... competition is heavy.

That is also a use case for flexible displays. I do see flexible display tech taking off at some point when wearable computers (less jewelresy and more clothesy) become feasible.
  • Reply 9 of 44
    nchianchia Posts: 124member
    I agree it's not an attractive timepiece (to me). It's utility may be worthwhile, but it's not a must have right now if I have to wear that on my wrist even for free.
  • Reply 10 of 44
    Functionally inspired. But it looks like a piece of shit.
  • Reply 11 of 44

Autumn 2013 : Apple reinvents the watch: iWatch (human skin surface currents being used to transmit information to earphones. At that time, rumours already circulated that Apple was secretly working on a way to convey the audio information directly to the brain. Other rumours from sources (which insisted to remain unidentified) also speculated that Apple was working on the most secret project of its history (code name « Wozniak »), aiming at implementing a neuronal version of the iOS into the human brain (the only minor remaining technical difficulty being to implement into it a 5.1 encoded audio information).

• Reply 12 of 44
    Have to admit it does look a bit naff. It looks like something from the 1980's.
    The watch screen resolution seems pretty bad.
  • Reply 13 of 44
    flabberflabber Posts: 100member

I personally also don't really like the design. And it's all plastic, so I don't really know where the comment "top quality materials" came from. I do however, like the idea and I honestly believe that the watch would be very useful if it had some sort of way to also respond to text messages. Being able to read them is 1 thing, but you still need to get the phone out of your bag/pocket to respond :)

On the other hand, this is what I believe to be top quality materials… not exactly the same type of watch (the Pebble is a smart watch after all), but this is where I'd love to see watches go as far as looks go. For me this would be infinitely more useful (no longer having a bulge on your wrist for one):

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1655017763/cst-01-the-worlds-thinnest-watch?ref=live

• Reply 14 of 44
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member

Looks positively terrible.

• Reply 15 of 44
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member

Dream? More like nightmare. I don't think that watch is any more attractive than the one in this article.

Different people have different tastes. In order to be successful, Pebble doesn't have to appeal to everyone - just enough to create a viable business. Much like Apple, they realize that trying to appeal to everyone is a huge mistake - and leads to product that don't really appeal to anyone. I would fully expect that at some point, they'll have a range of products with different styles. Until then, it's a niche product - and they wisely realize that it is.
  • Reply 16 of 44
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member
    umrk_lab wrote: »
    <p style="margin-bottom:7px;text-align:justify;font-size:18px;line-height:normal;font-family:Baskerville;"><span style="letter-spacing:.1px;">Autumn 2013 : Apple reinvents the watch: iWatch (human skin surface currents being used to transmit information to earphones. At that time, rumours already circulated that Apple was secretly working on a way to convey the audio information directly to the brain. Other rumours from sources (which insisted to remain unidentified) also speculated that Apple was working on the most secret project of its history (code name « Wozniak »), aiming at implementing a neuronal version of the iOS into the human brain (the only minor remaining technical difficulty being to implement into it a 5.1 encoded audio information).</span>
    </p>

I hope Apple comes out with a smart watch type accessory.

The Nano 6 was already perfect. It just needed Bluetooth.
  • Reply 17 of 44
    Sorry 6th-gen nano fans, but after having two nanos suffer water damage during normal use (no direct contact with water) despite using rubber grommets on the data and headphone ports, I do not recommend using nanos as watches. Not surprisingly, the next generation nano is unwearable as a watch.
  • Reply 18 of 44

Come on. Nobody is going to buy this thing until it has a chamfered edge.

• Reply 19 of 44
    The presser was clumsy & technically off, but that's 'cause it was done by a genuinly innocent, sincere nice guys!

I wish them all the success in the world & I hope they all become multimillionaires because of this.

I kickstarted my Pebble -- Cherry Red -- early, so January 23rd can't get here quick enough!
  • Reply 20 of 44
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member

Quote:

Originally Posted by addicted44 View Post

Looks really ugly.

I have to agree with this.

When I heard about these "smart watches" I thought, well, if you wear a watch this might be cool, but functionally what effective purpose does it serve but save you a couple nano-seconds from pulling your phone out of your pocket?  And your phone has a much bigger, easier to read display and already shows the time, not to mention other notifications.  And there's people like me who haven't worn a watch since I got my first mobile phone.  It's utterly pointless.