Undeletable Files

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I have a bunch of files on my iDisk that I cannot delete. They can't be deleted in OS 9, OS X, or terminal. In the terminal, it says it cannot find the file. I think they have illegal characters in them. I do not know how they got there. I think they are the result of iPhoto though. Any way I can delete them?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    you can use <a href="http://macchampion.com/arbysoft/"; target="_blank">BatChmod</a> to fix the permissions on the files and then try it again.

• Reply 2 of 7
    I have tried this in terminal, and the permissions do not seem to be the problem. I can copy the files to my computer and delete them. When I try to delete them off the iDisk, it asks if you want to delete them immediately and then gives error -43 if that means something.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    sorry, understood you wrong.

[ 01-15-2003: Message edited by: Defiant ]</p>
  • Reply 4 of 7
    I think you misunderstood me when I said that permissions weren't the problem. I tried this program, and it didn't work.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    try this, type 'rm ' into terminal [don't hit enter]. then go into the finder, and navigate to the files. then drag one of the naughty files onto the terminal window. it should expand the full path of the file name. now try enter.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Unfortunately that didn't work either. The files seem to have things like carriage returns and other things. <a href="http://homepage.mac.com/seppak/files/files.png"; target="_blank">This</a> is what happens when I try to delete the entire directory. I think I might go to the apple store and see what they can do.

[ 01-16-2003: Message edited by: seppak ]</p>
  • Reply 7 of 7
    ah, this one is a classical from Unix. you have to use quotes " on files with a space in it.

like this: [code] rm -R /volumes/seppak/pictures/"Photo Album Pictures"/delete </pre><hr></blockquote>