Amazon's MP3 Web store now optimized for Apple's iPhone, iPod touch

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Amazon's browser-based MP3 store has been optimized for the iPhone and iPod touch, allowing users to more easily purchase songs through their mobile Safari browser.

Amazon

Amazon's catalog of 22 million songs, now available on iOS devices at amazon.com/mp3, competes with Apple's own iTunes Store. While Apple has a dedicated iTunes application on iOS devices for selling content, users must open a browser to purchase through Amazon because of Apple's App Store rules.

Music purchases through Amazon are automatically saved to a user's "Cloud Player" library. Those tracks can be downloaded or played instantly from any iPhone, iPod touch or iPad using the official Amazon Cloud Player app.

"Since the launch of the Amazon Cloud Player app for iPhone and iPod touch, a top request from customers has been the ability to buy music from Amazon right from their devices," said Steve Boom, Vice President of Amazon Music. "For the first time ever, iOS users have a way do that ? now they can access Amazon's huge catalog of music, features like personalized recommendations, deals like albums for $5, songs for $0.69, and they can buy their music once and use it everywhere."

Features of the Amazon MP3 mobile store include:
  • Built on HTML5 and designed for iPhone and iPod touch.
  • Access to everyday deals like $5 albums, $0.69 songs, and free songs from artists on the rise.
  • Individualized recommendations based on purchase history.
  • Immediate availability and seamless playback of purchases in the Amazon Cloud Player app.
  • Free storage of all Amazon MP3 purchases in Amazon Cloud Player.
The Amazon Cloud Player application launched last June on the iOS App Store. Amazon does not sell songs through the app and requires users to launch a browser because Apple takes a 30 percent cut of all content sold through applications available in the iOS App Store.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 41
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Optimized? Inspired by WP8, with cut-off text and all? I don't know, I buy from iTunes. What are the benefits of buying from Amazon? I know they are often cheaper, but you'll miss out on the Apple eco system, you know, buy on iPhone, see it pop up on iPad and all that.
  • Reply 2 of 41
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The Amazon Cloud Player application launched last June on the iOS App Store. Amazon does not sell songs through the app and requires users to launch a browser because Apple takes a 30 percent cut of all content sold through applications available in the iOS App Store.

That's a slick way to get around the system

• Reply 3 of 41
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    I buy from amazon because I'm cheap. (I know the irony since Apple is pricey). I add the songs to iTunes and sync my iDevices.
  • Reply 4 of 41
    jungmark wrote: »
    I buy from amazon because I'm cheap. (I know the irony since Apple is pricey). I add the songs to iTunes and sync my iDevices.

Agreed. Amazon is:

- Cheaper than iTunes - massively when they have sales on
    - Cross platform (i.e. doesn't lock you into iTunes)
    - Has neat features like AutoRip so when you order your CD you instantly get the music too, for one price
    - Has a great iOS app which syncs your music automatically when you buy an album (or manually if you prefer)
    - the list goes on...
  • Reply 5 of 41
    realwarder wrote: »
    ...when you order your CD you instantly get the music too...

Was does this mean?
  • Reply 6 of 41
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member

I'm not going to say that Amazon is better than Apple but Apple really seems to have forgotten how to "ride the back of the bear" which was how Microsoft characterized their method of beating IBM at their own game. Apple did this perfectly for a while and the halo effect and the ability of people on other platforms to see and try Apple solutions grew them into the largest company (per market cap) in the U.S.

Amazon seems to be "riding the back of the bear" very well right now and I don't know if it will put them in Apple's position but it certainly hurts Apple and helps them. Google is doing the same thing as well. You look at iOS and even the Mac and Google and Amazon are offering a bunch of great solutions. Amazon has software that will download your purchases and automatically add them to iTunes. Google has similar software though not as nice yet but they give you the whole iCloud option for free.

When you look at the Apple solutions that work on other platforms, and understand this used to happen, you see nothing.

Apple used to make sure iTunes, Quicktime and Safari could cover the market available on more than Mac.

Now you see iOS users accessing Amazon MP3 store through a browser and the music becomes available through their Amazon MP3 app which btw can save to your phone as well. Google again has a similar solution. Google releases email, maps, search, voice, etc all for iOS. Amazon has their Kindle app as another example. They make it convenient to use their services and later to transition away from Apple.

Apple just tries to lock you in and hope you can't find a way to leave. They've become too insular. People are using their own successful strategies against them while they are adopting a Microsoft model. (Our way or no way)

• Reply 7 of 41
    philboogie wrote: »
    Was does this mean?
    You get the mp3 versions too.
  • Reply 8 of 41
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by realwarder View Post

...when you order your CD you instantly get the music too...

Was does this mean?

It means when you order a physical CD, they will ship it to you but will also allow you to download the digital tracks from their MP3 store at the same time. If as an example you bought the latest Dave Matthews Band CD, they would send you the physical copy but while that copy is on the way, you will be allowed to download the digital tracks and play them on all of your devices, even through a web browser.

When the physical media arrives, you can do what you want with it. Put it on the shelf, save it for your collection, open and rerip the tracks in whatever format you want, etc. However the point is you don't have to choose one over the other and it saves you the work.

• Reply 9 of 41

Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Me too....

I like the Amazon downloader.  It automatically puts my songs on my NAS drive and added them to iTunes in one click.....  It is actually easier to use than iTunes for music....

• Reply 10 of 41
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

Quote:

Originally Posted by sranger View Post

Me too....

I like the Amazon downloader.  It automatically puts my songs on my NAS drive and added them to iTunes in one click.....  It is actually easier to use than iTunes for music....

ArsTechnica has a comparison article on the the three big music cloud services: iTunes Match, Google Music and Amazon Cloud Player.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2013/01/throwdown-itunes-match-vs-amazon-cloud-player-vs-google-music/

All three have their unique advantages.

• Reply 11 of 41
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member

How does buying music from iTunes Store lock you in any more than buying music from Amazon Music Store?

philboogie wrote: »
    Was does this mean?

http://www.amazon.com/b/?node=5946775011

sranger wrote: »
    Me too....

Why have the one click? Just have the files add themselves to the iTunes Library
  • Reply 12 of 41
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Agreed. Amazon is:

- Cheaper than iTunes - massively when they have sales on

OK. The sales are good, if you like the titles on sale. Out of 100 albums they tend to offer on sale, I often struggle to find more than one that I'm interested in.

There is no DRM on iTunes music, hasn't been for years. You can take the file to any device that plays modern CODECs.

- Has neat features like AutoRip so when you order your CD you instantly get the music too, for one price

A feature that's only just now added, many years after it's lost its value.

- Has a great iOS app which syncs your music automatically when you buy an album (or manually if you prefer)

Syncs your music to what?
  • Reply 13 of 41
    Apple's problem is that IOS users can buy from the Amazon Store, but Android users can't buy from iTunes. I can see this hurting the iTunes market share in a big way. Apple doesn't dominate the smart phone market the way that they dominated MP3 players.
  • Reply 14 of 41
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

but you'll miss out on the Apple eco system, you know, buy on iPhone, see it pop up on iPad and all that.

Not really. You buy on Amazon and you can stream the music to any device, iOS, Android, PC, Mac etc.

It doesn't even take up space. Just like iCloud but supporting more devices.

I am a self confessed Apple fanboy but I rarely buy from iTunes because the pricing is too high.

• Reply 15 of 41

Originally Posted by bryand View Post

…Android users can't buy from iTunes.

Why not?

• Reply 16 of 41
    bryand wrote: »
    Apple's problem is that IOS users can buy from the Amazon Store, but Android users can't buy from iTunes. I can see this hurting the iTunes market share in a big way. Apple doesn't dominate the smart phone market the way that they dominated MP3 players.

It hasn't yet. How long has AMZ been in the game. What's it's share compared to iTunes.
    jeffdm wrote: »
    OK. The sales are good, if you like the titles on sale. Out of 100 albums they tend to offer on sale, I often struggle to find more than one that I'm interested in.

that's fine but but it's worth checking out sales before just blindly buying from iTunes. The worse thing you can do is pay the same on AMZ as with iTunes.
  • Reply 17 of 41
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    jungmark wrote: »
    that's fine but but it's worth checking out sales before just blindly buying from iTunes. The worse thing you can do is pay the same on AMZ as with iTunes.

Perhaps if I bought more music these days but I find that convenience is a huge factor when it comes to where I choose to shop. Saving a few cents on a song simply isn't something I concern myself with.
  • Reply 18 of 41

Quote:

Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

Apple just tries to lock you in and hope you can't find a way to leave. They've become too insular. People are using their own successful strategies against them while they are adopting a Microsoft model. (Our way or no way)

Read the downloading information for movies that you can purchase through Amazon Instant Video. There are definitely some restrictions and limitations built into that service currently. For example, you're required to repeat the download process for each device that you want to play your purchased video on if you don't want to stream it. It doesn't allow you to just download on your home computer and then copy the file to other devices. And OS X isn't supported at all. Only iOS.

• Reply 19 of 41
    solipsismx wrote: »
    Perhaps if I bought more music these days but I find that convenience is a huge factor when it comes to where I choose to shop. Saving a few cents on a song simply isn't something I concern myself with.

I usually look at full albums $5 on AMZ compared to $10 on iTunes.
  • Reply 20 of 41

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

How does buying music from iTunes Store lock you in any more than buying music from Amazon Music Store?

http://www.amazon.com/b/?node=5946775011

Why have the one click? Just have the files add themselves to the iTunes Library

I click "BUY" and the song automatically shows up on:

1) My NAS Drive...

2) My iTunes in my Mac,

3) My iTunes on my iPad

4) My Google Music Account

5) My Android Phone...

That is a little harder to setup with iTunes alone.....