Google CEO digs into rival tech companies, says industry needs more innovation

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
In an interview with Wired, Google CEO and cofounder Larry Page offered his take on the state of technology, saying that companies like Apple and Facebook should dedicate more resources on innovation rather than competion.

Larry Page
Google CEO Larry Page. | Source: Larry Page via Google+.

Throughout the lengthy Wired interview, which covers Page's beginnings with Google and his work with the company's Google X project, the CEO offered his thoughts on why tech companies should be focusing more on innovating the next big thing instead of working on version changes of existing products.

Page expressed concern regarding company leadership, saying there too much attention is being paid to competition. When asked about a specific case involving the late Steve Jobs' comment of "going thermonuclear war" on Google's Android mobile operating system, Page quipped, "How well is that working?"

"But it?s hard to find actual examples of really amazing things that happened solely due to competition," Page said. "How exciting is it to come to work if the best you can do is trounce some other company that does roughly the same thing?"

Speaking on the topic of Google X, the internet search giant's experimental products lab, Page said breakthroughs and non-incremental changes are key and questions why tech giants like Apple don't use their vast resources toward these goals.

"You may say that Apple only does a very, very small number of things, and that?s working pretty well for them. But I find that unsatisfying," he said, adding that the "crazy things" investors worry about spending money on are ultimately the most substantial. Page gave the examples of YouTube, Chrome, and Android, saying, "If you?re not doing some things that are crazy, then you?re doing the wrong things."

Regarding new products, Wired asked if Google's latest social networking endeavor, Google+, was a result of competition with Facebook, but Page dismissed the idea.

"It?s not the way I think about it," he said. "And, yeah, [Facebook is] a company that?s strong in that space. But they?re also doing a really bad job on their products. For us to succeed, is it necessary for some other company to fail? No. We?re actually doing something different."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 197
    Does anyone on Google's PR department ever vet what this guy says before he starts chewing on his own feet?
  • Reply 2 of 197
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,251member
    Of course Larry would say this. That way Google can steal the next big thing and not have to pay anything for it. As for doing "crazy" things, Google good at that but Apple has their head screwed on a whole lot better coming up with things that help consumers do things better.
  • Reply 3 of 197
    "For us to succeed, is it necessary for some other company to fail? No. We%u2019re actually doing something different."

Even his answers are copied.
  • Reply 4 of 197
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    did he actually say this? i think he meant other companies should innovate more so we can just steal their work.

Dipsh!t, Apple's been innovating for the last 10 years.
  • Reply 5 of 197
    Larry Page and Mark Zuckerberg will one day both be as famous and powerful as Michael Dell.
  • Reply 6 of 197
    mubailimubaili Posts: 453member

haha

• Reply 7 of 197
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Google+
    Android
    10" tablet
    Manufacturing your own

He's all talk.
    Google are about as innovative as my left testicle. Like Facebook, they are a glorified advertising company - who fluked into Search 10 years ago. Amazon are far more innovative than Google in the last 5 years. And Apple blow both of them out of the water. Apple's products are so seamless and work so well, sometimes their innovation is invisible and not so obvious at a glance, unless you touch and use the products.

Three areas for future innovation for Apple are: even better UX on iOS (notice I didn't say more features), cloud services that are far more reliable, robust and fast, and the all-in-one TV product I've been wishing for for 7 years.

Everything else will be evolutionary for a few years, like the Retina transition, the SSD transition and other transitions.

I strongly believe Apple needs to switch to an iOS-like free update model on OS X.

And everyone here will likely disagree with me, but I think Apple needs to seriously consider purchasing Twitter. I'd go so far as to say they should buy Twitter. They should have 2 years ago. And I don't believe Twitter is not for sale, they'd sell to Apple for the right price. And Apple would make back that money in a year.

This is my wish list. Have at it, Cook.
  • Reply 8 of 197
    Wow. He's fallen a little far from the tree, eh? Google - legendary innovators... They have made literally dozens of breakthroughs that have launched and did on their feet.

They lack focus in almost every way - I am emended of the monkeys and Beethoven metaphor.
  • Reply 9 of 197
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    "Page said breakthroughs and non-incremental changes are key and questions why tech giants like Apple don't use their vast resources toward these goals. "

the original iphone, ipad, apple tv, MBA weren't incremental. When's the last time Google was first to the market. oh wait, they had Wave or Buzz or whatever that failure was.
  • Reply 10 of 197
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Yeah, Google wants Apple to "innovate" and invent the next new thing no doubt, so that Google can copy it and come out with their own crappy version, just like with their phones and their crappy OS.

And sometimes it's better to do nothing than to "innovate" or change things just for the sake of changing things. A good example is Youtube, which is owned by Google. Almost every damn time that I visit Youtube, it seems that something has been changed, for no apparent reason at all, and features that you are used to using are no longer there, or have been changed for the worse. That's not innovating, that's just being clueless.

• Reply 11 of 197
    tcaseytcasey Posts: 199member

Yeah buying Motorola was a crazy thing..Google has def made some good products but it has no problem stealing on the way...they see that as innovating from the marketplace aka stealing.

Apple not innovating :iphone,ipad,ipod, ????

• Reply 12 of 197
    vqrovqro Posts: 66member

Sure, let the other companies innovate so google can just copy everything again.  Friggin jerk.

• Reply 13 of 197
    So it sounds like he's saying that all companies should do a billion different things, and hope that one of them works well enough to make enough money to fund the other 999,999,999 things that suck big donkey balls.

Google has ads served with search. Everything else they do, really, is mediocre, at best, and doesn't make them much money at all, if any. Good thing that's working out well for your, Mr. Page, because we all know that online ads will live (and provide revenue) forever.
  • Reply 14 of 197

He's one to talk. Send Schmidt off to the gulag, torpedo Android... then you can talk, Larry.

• Reply 15 of 197

Wow, from the leader of the company with the biggest case of Copyitis ever. Me thinks the fellow is feeling a little defensive about all that. 

• Reply 16 of 197

This from Mr. "We copied the iPhone UI and UX and develop a whole plethora of products that suck and are half-assed." I'd rather be (and invest in) a company like Apple that has laser-sharp focus and pays close attention to detail -- that develops and sells a few really great products -- than......what Google does.

I don't like the attitudes any of the Google executives. 

• Reply 17 of 197

YouTube was bought

Chrome, a browser, isn't "crazy"

Android's foundation partially bought, and to make it attractive the ideas was stolen, then they added non-crazy ideas.

I will give them credit for other things that I would say are crazier (off the top of my head: their massive page indexing, streetview, some tech in their infrastructure like alternative power sources and cooling or willing to use any kind of hard drive in their storage cloud), but the examples quoted are weak.

And about Apple's small range of products being unsatisfying, it is that razor focus on a small number of products that allows Apple to make sure they are more useable and seamless than most of the other competing products.

• Reply 18 of 197
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member

I have to agree here, if anybody out there in tech land is copying others it is Google.   After using my iPad 3 for almost a year now all I see in it is innovation and advancement of the art.   As you say it is sometime easy to mis Apples innovations because they are so fluidly integrated into the whole.

Interestingly I see iCloud as one of those areas where Apple has actually tried to innovate but many don't even give it the time of day.   I have highly mixed feelings with respect to iCloud as some things it does well and other things it is total fail.

Speaking of SSD, the technology might not be innovation on Apples part but leading it into the mainstream as far as secondary storage on cheap computers is.   In that regard AIR was true innovation in that they managed to find a way to offer what was once an expensive solution at a very affordable price.   people might not see that as innovation but if you have tried to lower the cost of any part in any product you will realize it is harder work then some seem to believe.

I see no advantage to Twitter for Apple.   I see it as a waste of money especially when it is fairly simple to integrate into IOS and apps.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Google+

Android

10" tablet

Manufacturing your own

He's all talk.

Google are about as innovative as my left testicle. Amazon are far more innovative than Google in the last 5 years. And Apple blow both of them out of the water. Apple's products are so seamless and work so well, sometimes their innovation is invisible and not so obvious at a glance, unless you touch and use the products.

Three areas for future innovation for Apple are: even better UX on iOS (notice I didn't say more features), cloud services that are far more reliable, robust and fast, and an actual all-in-one TV product, that I've been wishing for for 7 years.

Everything else will be evolutionary for a few years, like the Retina transition, the SSD transition and other transitions.

I strongly believe Apple needs to switch to an iOS-like free update model on OS X.

And everyone here will likely disagree with me, but I think Apple needs to seriously consider purchasing Twitter. I'd go so far as to say they should buy Twitter. They should have 2 years ago. And I don't believe Twitter is not for sale, they'd sell to Apple for the right price. And Apple would make back that money in a year.

• Reply 19 of 197
    Am I the only one in the freaking world who appreciates all of the things each of these large tech companies make? I love my iphone and MacBook, I live within my google world with email, calendars, contacts, mapping, etc. I communicate with a ton of my friends on Facebook, I use MS Office because I find it better for my uses than anything else, I find my Samsung tv absolutely stunning, my PS3 is awesome, as is my Apple TV for completely different reasons. I have Amazon Prime and a Kindle and couldnt imagine living without either anymore. Why am I being told all the time that I can't appreciate all these companies?
  • Reply 20 of 197
    His anticompetitive rant belies his and Schmidt's true beliefs: open up your privacy and be content with the resulting crap; after all, it's free! Their YouTube app is horrible and the non-standard player is a step backwards from Apple's [B]2007[/B] app. Their Google labs projects and even gmail have humiliatingly bad interfaces, and the projects they push are all second-rate except Search. Even then, it's only the results that are impressive, their actual web pages are dog-slow bloated nonsense with odd behaviours; Google image search is still awful on both mac and iOS, loading completely unnecessary content and stuffing up what should be easy. There's no denying their genius in algorithmic finding of content, but they simply fail at everything else. Their ads are constantly tasteless or scammy, it shows their complete lack of discernment for even the "products" that make them dollars. And he talks about vision and innovation? What a joke.