Burglar who broke into Steve Jobs' house gets 7-year prison sentence

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Kariem McFarlin, the burglar who stole late Apple cofounder Steve Jobs' wallet and multiple computers during a house break-in last year, has been sentenced to serve seven years in a California prison.

Kariem McFarlin
Booking photo of Kariem McFarlin.
Source: Santa Clara County Sheriff's office

In addition to the wares taken from Jobs' house, McFarlin hid worth hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of stolen items from multiple San Francisco Bay Area burglaries at his house and a storage locker, reports Macworld.

The 35-year old Alameda man was arrested in July 2012 after he broke into Jobs' Palo Alto, Calif., home and took over $60,000 worth of computers and personal items, including two pieces of Tiffany & Co. jewelry valued at over $28,000 each. Included in the list of stolen property were two iMacs, three iPads, three iPods, one Apple TV and other valuables.

Officers from the Rapid Enforcement Allied Computer Team (REACT) were led to McFarlin's location when he turned on one of the pilfered iPads, which subsequently connected to iTunes and allowed Apple security to track the device.

The maximum prison sentence McFarlin faced was seven years and eight months, which included a one-year enhancement for "excessive taking of property." He did not dispute the charges and maintained his motives were driven by desperation.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

…which included a one-year enhancement for "excessive taking of property."

"Look, kid, of all that stuff you swiped, if you had just taken… one piece of jewelry and only two of the iPads, we could have let you get away with it, but both pieces and three iPads? That's excessive."

If I don't expressly allow it of the person, taking so much as the pocket lint from my shorts is "excessive taking of property"!

• Reply 2 of 10
    How desperate can he be? He had hidden hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of goodies. Imagine if he had sold any of them, then he would not have been desperate, right?

Seems his only skill was stealing stuff. He wasn't smart enough to figure out how to convert stuff into money.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    russellrussell Posts: 296member
    Why can't apple help their customers recover stolen devices?
    It would protect them from being victims of muggings and break-ins.

Their customers did pay a premium for that apple product.
  • Reply 4 of 10

Originally Posted by waldobushman View Post

How desperate can he be? He had hidden hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of goodies. Imagine if he had sold any of them, then he would not have been desperate, right?

Seems his only skill was stealing stuff. He wasn't smart enough to figure out how to convert stuff into money.

If you spent some time reading the links in the article, you would see he sold a $30k necklace to an out of state dealer.

He was in no rush to sell all the stuff because he learned to get by on very little money.

• Reply 5 of 10

Originally Posted by Russell View Post

Why can't apple help their customers recover stolen devices?

They do.

Originally Posted by Russell View Post

He was in no rush to sell all the stuff because he learned to get by on very little money.

Oh, a frugal burglar. Spectacular. That's always nice to see.

"Hey, Ted, sorry I stole that Toyota from you, but hey, I'm still livin' off the money I got from pawning it! Invested some in a stock that shot up and I put my kid through college on it; nice house in the suburbs, nothin' fancy, nothin' extravagant…"

• Reply 6 of 10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

"Hey, Ted, sorry I stole that Toyota from you, but hey, I'm still livin' off the money I got from pawning it! Invested some in a stock that shot up and I put my kid through college on it; nice house in the suburbs, nothin' fancy, nothin' extravagant…"

Are you an adult male or a child.

• Reply 7 of 10

Quote:

Are you an adult male or a child.

• Reply 8 of 10

Quote:

They do.

I'll ask you again, are you a grown man or a child?

• Reply 9 of 10
    Hope he didn't get Jobs' NeXTStation....apparently he kept one of the very last ones made on the final day of the factory operating.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    After seven years of post-graduate training at the finest school for burglars, would somebody please arrange to release him in Seattle and point him in the general direction of Billionare Bill's home?