Macworld/iWorld to feature Ashton Kutcher and Josh Gad of 'jOBS,' panel with Will.i.am

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
While Apple won't be in attendance at the upcoming Macworld/iWorld conference in San Francisco, organizers have booked Ashton Kutcher and Josh Gad, stars of the Steve Jobs biopic jOBS, to kick off proceedings next week.

Kutcher/Gad
Josh Gad and Ashton Kutcher play Steve Wozniak and Steve Jobs in the biopic jOBS. | Source: Macworld

The talk with Kutcher and Gad is more in line with Macworld events of old, when a keynote presentation usually handled by late Apple cofounder Jobs would start the conference dedicated to all things Apple.

Kutcher and Gad are scheduled to take the stage at 9 a.m. on Jan. 31, the first day of Macworld, in a panel aptly titled, "Playing Steve & Woz." Their appearance will come less than one week following the premiere of jOBS at the Sundance Film Festival, where the movie will be a "closing night film."

In addition to the jOBS appearance, pop star Will.i.am will be giving a talk on the future of technology with Intel futurist Brian David Johnson. The discussion is scheduled for Jan. 31 at 11 a.m. Also in attendence during the conference will be Fred Armisen of Portlandia and Saturday Night Live fame.

?In our 29th year of hosting the event, we have never been more excited about presenting all the ways that Apple and the world of innovative Apple-related products are changing the creative landscape,? said Paul Kent, vice president and general manager of Macworld/iWorld.

After Apple officially announced it would no longer be attending the expo starting in 2009, some questioned whether the conference would continue, but five years later the event is still going strong. In 2012, the expo was renamed Macworld/iWorld to better reflect the importance of the iPhone and iPad to Apple's brand name.

Macworld/iWorld will run from Jan. 31 to Feb. 2 at Moscone Center West and is expected to feature a collection of about 300 exhibitors and developers, as well as over 100 new products as part of the "First Looks" program.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member
    Straight to video.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    dreyfus2dreyfus2 Posts: 1,072member

Ashton Kutcher and Will.i.am in SF at the same time. Where is the UN travel warning?

• Reply 3 of 13

Quote:

Originally Posted by dreyfus2 View Post

Ashton Kutcher and Will.i.am in SF at the same time. Where is the UN travel warning?

Why?

• Reply 4 of 13
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member

Ok so he looks like steve some what but Steve wasn't that tall.  The other guy doesn't even look like Woz.  Please.

• Reply 5 of 13
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

Straight to video.

Yes.  Money wasted.

• Reply 6 of 13
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    The movie thing okay. But will.i.am as a speaker about the future of tech? Seems to be scraping the bottom of the barrel
  • Reply 7 of 13
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    tylerk36 wrote: »
    Ok so he looks like steve some what but Steve wasn't that tall.  The other guy doesn't even look like Woz.  Please.

I don't care about the accuracy in height and look if they can capture the character and personality well. I'm not sure Ashton can do it and I think Gad's voice might be too unique to pull it off. Best of luck to both of them and the film, but I have my doubts.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Can't fucking stand the title of this movie. Makes me nauseous at how childishly bad it is. 

• Reply 9 of 13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Can't fucking stand the title of this movie. Makes me nauseous at how childishly bad it is. 

Seems good to me.

I mean, it's a bad title, but it's good that you're warned that the film might not be exactly a ground breaking piece of art directed by Tarantino/Kubrik/insert-fav-director-here by the very title. Allows you to avoid bad mistakes such as buying it on iTunes.

• Reply 10 of 13
    OK, so I looked these guys up. Kutcher is a girly-flick actor and will-i-am is some kindof backstreet-boy singer.

What is the relationship with the topic at hand, "technology"? Is there some United-States-of-America-only secret I'm not aware of that might explain this, or did the conference just randomly pick up "people" like they would pick Paris Hilton and her chihuahua?
  • Reply 11 of 13

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

The movie thing okay. But will.i.am as a speaker about the future of tech? Seems to be scraping the bottom of the barrel

I wonder if this is the start of Macworld evolving toward a more ComicCon/Star Trek Convention type of gathering.  Will attendees start dressing up as Woz, Jobs or other favorite Apple execs or perhaps nemeses from other industry firms?

• Reply 12 of 13
    Will.i.am? Now I take this movie even LESS seriously.
  • Reply 13 of 13

Quote:

Originally Posted by tylerk36 View Post

maybe Woz wasn't that short...