home sharing help

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014

OK so I am totally new to this itunes match and home sharing thing.  just got apple tv.  was using two macs with same library for itunes (id sync the library, or basically the ENTIRE itunes folder from one mac to an exteral drive, and then to the other mac, if i ever wanetd to jse 2nd mac) that way both macs stayed in sync with itunes.  a pain in te butt i will say.

anyway....now that i have I think decided to only use my imac for itunes, since my apple tv just makes more sense with it, i turned on home sharing on that itunes and plan on making that my sole itunes library.  so home sharing is on on the imac.  my apple tv sees the home sharing without fail, GREAT!

questioin is this...i deleted my entiere music folder from my mb pro and turned on itunes match.  all of the music from my imac appears on my mb pro (i assume it is seeing it just like the apple tv is when I am home and on the same network).  when i go to work I assume the "imac library" that it now sees will not be there but the itunes match "cloud" music will still show up on my mb pro correct?

my questions are this...

1.  can i edit playlists while at work on my mb pro and have them cloud sync back to my imac or no?

2.  can i sync my iphone with my mb pro even though the music is not physically there anymore?

3.  should I turn on home sharing on the mb pro and if so why?

Thanks in advance folks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3

Originally Posted by mrfizzed View Post

when i go to work I assume the "imac library" that it now sees will not be there but the itunes match "cloud" music will still show up on my mb pro correct?

Yep!

1. can i edit playlists while at work on my mb pro and have them cloud sync back to my imac or no?

If playlists sync via iCloud (I forget if they do), then yes.

2.  can i sync my iphone with my mb pro even though the music is not physically there anymore?

Yes: if it's all iTunes music, nothing should change.

3.  should I turn on home sharing on the mb pro and if so why?

Depends on if you need to view that stuff from the laptop. Remember it will only be viewable when at home on the same local network. 

• Reply 2 of 3

thanks for the responses....

so turning off home sharing on mb pro (theres really nothing there to share imho since theres really nothing there anyway) will still keep the itunes match working right?

• Reply 3 of 3

Originally Posted by mrfizzed View Post

thanks for the responses....

so turning off home sharing on mb pro (theres really nothing there to share imho since theres really nothing there anyway) will still keep the itunes match working right?

Right, as long as the account with which you have iTunes Match enabled is logged into iTunes on that computer.

Home Sharing in and of itself is separate.