Apple's iPhone accounted for 84% of AT&T's smartphone activations in Q4 [u]

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Second-largest U.S. wireless carrier AT&T on Thursday announced it activated a record 8.6 million iPhones, accounting for 84 percent of the telecom's total 10.2 million smartphone sold, for the fourth quarter of 2012.

AT&T Logo

Update: AT&T pointed out that the 8.6 million iPhone number represents activations, not sales, meaning the handset may not have accounted for 84 percent of overall sales. The metric is likely to be in close to 84 percent, but a definitive proportion cannot be presented as a device-by-device sales breakdown was not disclosed.

The announcement was made as part of the company's fourth quarter earnings, which saw a record 10.2 million smartphone sales, the most ever by any domestic carrier, and an addition of over 780,000 new subscribers. Overall, smartphones now make up 89 percent of AT&T's postpaid sales.

For the holiday quarter, AT&T activated nearly 2.5 million more iPhones than No. 1 U.S. carrier Verizon, which saw Apple's handset account for almost two thirds of its 9.8 million smartphone sales. According to AT&T, there were a record number of Android activations over the three-month period, adding to the company's total smartphone user base that now stands at 47.1 million, a quarter-on-quarter boost of 2.5 million users.

AT&T posted a loss for the quarter ending in December with net losses at $3.9 billion or 68 cents per share, down from a loss of $6.7 billion or $1.12 per share from the year ago period. Revenues were up at $32.6 billion, up 0.2 percent year-over-year and up 2.8 percent excluding Advertising Solutions and adverse impacts from Superstorm Sandy.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 28
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,857member

Too bad Android is "Winning!"

• Reply 2 of 28
    He who makes the most money wins.
  • Reply 3 of 28

Wonder how many Android manufacturers are lying about their numbers…

• Reply 4 of 28
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    salterra wrote: »
    He who makes the most money wins.

What exactly does the one with the most money win?

I will say 84% is very impressive. Phones like HTC One X don't stand a chance on AT&T.
  • Reply 5 of 28
    AT&T posted a loss? With perpetually skyrocketing rates for land lines, DSL, U-Verse TV and wireless plans, how is it they are losing money?

The outrageous prices for a land-line ($10/mo for caller ID option) caused me to go wireless only. When comparing rates for TV services with Dish, DirecTV, Time Warner Cable and U-Verse, U-Verse was much more expensive than any other option. DSL prices for crummy 6Mbps service is on par with 20Mbps cable internet.

Yet somehow they are losing money? That makes me question their accounting.
  • Reply 6 of 28
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,857member

Quote:

Originally Posted by JollyPaul View Post

AT&T posted a loss? With perpetually skyrocketing rates for land lines, DSL, U-Verse TV and wireless plans, how is it they are losing money?

The outrageous prices for a land-line ($10/mo for caller ID option) caused me to go wireless only. When comparing rates for TV services with Dish, DirecTV, Time Warner Cable and U-Verse, U-Verse was much more expensive than any other option. DSL prices for crummy 6Mbps service is on par with 20Mbps cable internet.

Yet somehow they are losing money? That makes me question their accounting.

I'm sure it's just a paper loss.

• Reply 7 of 28
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    this is more bad news. Still hasn't sold 200% of all smart phones at ATT yet. /s
  • Reply 8 of 28
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Second-largest U.S. wireless carrier AT&T on Thursday announced it activated a record 8.6 million iPhones, accounting for over 84 percent of the telecom's total 10.2 million smartphone sales, for the fourth quarter of 2012

Again, activations cannot be divided into sales to come up with such a percentage.  They're different math units.

For example, using the predicted Verizon contribution that AI published in this thread, (which predicted 56 million iPhones sold), but using the actual figure of 48 million iPhones sold, we can estimate that 15% of Verizon's recent activations  were previously owned iPhones... which is dead center of the historical 10% to 20% I have written about before.

AT&T usually has even higher used phone activation percentages, because of having more years of users to upgrade.  But even if we assume only 15% were used, that would make the new phone sales more like 8.6 million x .85 = 7.3 million, or 72%.   Still amazingly high, but more realistic.

Edit:  AT&T even pointed the unit difference out to MacRumors in this thread, which tried to used the same incorrect math.

Edit 2:  Someone else pointed out that AT&T activations would also include phones sold at Apple, Best Buy, Radio Shack, Walmart, etc.  Which means AT&T sales would be even lower.   At least, if they were unlocked phones.

• Reply 9 of 28
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    What exactly does the one with the most money win?

Is this a serious question? What do you think the goals of a for profit company are? The aren't reporting gold stars and brownie points to the SEC and shareholders. It ultimate goal is money. Nothing more, nothing less.
  • Reply 10 of 28
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

This news stinks!

What? Are you telling me that Apple's iPhone only accounted for 84% of all smartphone sales on AT&T? Wait a sec, that means that 16% of all phones sold were not Apple! Holy cow, that is disastrous news! Apple could do better than this! Excuse me, because I'm going to have to go and short AAPL right now. It's only a matter of time before Apple crumbles completely. I don't think that I've ever seen a company perform so poorly before.

• Reply 11 of 28

delete

• Reply 12 of 28
    kdarling wrote: »
    Edit 2:  Someone else pointed out that AT&T activations would also include many phones sold at Apple, Best Buy, Radio Shack, Walmart, etc.  Which means AT&T sales would be even lower.  For example, if AT&T activated 2 million iPhones sold at those stores, then the AT&T iPhone percentage drops to about 50%, not the headlined 84%.  However, I would counter that such activations would also include Android phones bought from those places, so it might even out.

Might even out? You lost me. What would be uneven about it?

As for devices not sold to customers via an AT&T employee does that matter if it's sold with a subsidy and contract that then requires AT&T to pay Apple for the agreed upon difference per their contract? Using your logic i sounds like you're saying Apple doesn't get to count a Macs sale if they are sold to the customer Amazon, Best Buy, etc.
  • Reply 13 of 28
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    Is this a serious question? What do you think the goals of a for profit company are? The aren't reporting gold stars and brownie points to the SEC and shareholders. It ultimate goal is money. Nothing more, nothing less.

The OP makes it seem like there's an endgame and there isn't. Making the most money is fine but it's a constant race, the loser doesn't pack up his bags and goes home nor is taken out back and shot.
  • Reply 14 of 28
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Radio Shack, Walmart, etc.  Which means AT&T sales would be even lower.  For example, if AT&T activated 2 million iPhones sold at those stores, then the AT&T iPhone percentage drops to about 50%, not the headlined 84%. </span>

If they do count phones sold at partners, why would they count only iPhones from partners and not Android or other phones sold at partners? 84% of the total means 84% of the total.
  • Reply 15 of 28

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Might even out? You lost me. What would be uneven about it?

Actually, I just edited that out, because it doesn't factor into the calculations.  Sorry for the confusion.

Quote:

As for devices not sold to customers via an AT&T employee does that matter if it's sold with a subsidy and contract that then requires AT&T to pay Apple for the agreed upon difference per their contract? Using your logic i sounds like you're saying Apple doesn't get to count a Macs sale if they are sold to the customer Amazon, Best Buy, etc.

In other words, if Best Buy sells someone an iPhone with an AT&T contract, then AT&T counts it as their sale?    And Best Buy does not?

• Reply 16 of 28
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Whatever the actual sales number was its obvious it was a record and the majority of AT&T sales. Congrats Apple. :)
  • Reply 17 of 28

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

If they do count phones sold at partners, why would they count only iPhones from partners and not Android or other phones sold at partners? 

The total sales number was for all smartphones.

The only activations number that AT&T gave was for the iPhone.   

Quote:

84% of the total means 84% of the total.

Well, no.  Even AT&T pointed out that the units are totally different.  See the link above.   You can't mix one number which is new and old (activations), with just new (sales).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Whatever the actual sales number was its obvious it was a record and the majority of AT&T sales. Congrats Apple. image

Yep, most likely.

• Reply 18 of 28
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    That sales number for AT&T seems high if it only includes phones purchased via AT&T, either online or in the stores. I'm thinking a fair number of Android phones are sold at Walmart, BB, Frys, etc.
  • Reply 19 of 28
    In other words, if Best Buy sells someone an iPhone with an AT&T contract, then AT&T counts it as their sale?    And Best Buy does not?

I don't know if they count it as a sale but it's certainly an activation on their network and they are certainly paying Apple for that sale.
  • Reply 20 of 28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

This news stinks!

What? Are you telling me that Apple's iPhone only accounted for 84% of all smartphone sales on AT&T? Wait a sec, that means that 16% of all phones sold were not Apple! Holy cow, that is disastrous news! Apple could do better than this! Excuse me, because I'm going to have to go and short AAPL right now. It's only a matter of time before Apple crumbles completely. I don't think that I've ever seen a company perform so poorly before.

I agree, only 84%? Those Wall Street Financial Geniuses were right. Thank God we have them around to let us know how horrible Apple is doing. I don't think I'll ever buy another Apple product because that's what Wall Street wants me to do. I'm going to move on to the next big thing. I think Wall Street said it was Kodak.