NTFS with Mountain lion

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014

I'm using Mountain Lion 10.8.2.

Need to use my 2TB NTFS partition.

Until last Max OS, Tuxera or Paragon used help me detect my 2tb ntfs HDD.

After installing Mountain Lion, my harddisk is not detecting, it says

"The disc you had inserted is not readable by this computer"

please help

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17

You don't need anything to detect it. OS X reads NTFS by default. Writing to it just requires extra software.

If it's not being read, the problem is elsewhere. Check Disk Utility for what it says that partition is mapped as.

• Reply 2 of 17
    robmrobm Posts: 1,068member
    Was digging around and found this from Apple discussions. YMMV
    https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4152122?start=15&tstart=0
  • Reply 3 of 17

Originally Posted by RobM View Post

YMMV

That's the absolute truth with this. I used it back when we first found out about it, and it went well! It was nice to not have to use third party stuff or a flash drive to simply move files to my Windows partition. But then it started dropping files and… Or I dunno; I don't really remember what happened.

All I know is that I'm using a third party solution again, but it refuses to actually work anymore and I don't know why, and then when I open my HFS+ partitions from within Windows (using the Boot Camp drivers, which means I can just pull files from OS X while in Windows, too), Windows refuses to actually update what I'm seeing on those drives. So it shows me months-old snapshots of folders, apparently magically cached somewhere in Windows, wasting space, full of files that don't even exist anymore, and not showing me any of the files that I want. 

So I have to use a flash drive now since no way of doing this is working.

Also, wow. This still works in Mountain Lion, but you… can't see the drive to navigate it. Nonsense, really. 

• Reply 4 of 17
    TS, I read somewhere that each OS update borks it and you have to reapply the patch. I can't test for you unfortunately, none of my machines are running ML.

BIG FAT DISCLAIMER ( All Care No Responsibility ) TM
    :-)
  • Reply 5 of 17

TS, I read somewhere that each OS update borks it and you have to reapply the patch. I can't test for you unfortunately, none of my machines are running ML.

Ah, you mean point update? That makes sense. Well, as much sense as something that doesn't can make.

• Reply 6 of 17
    lol - struggling with the last bit.
    But yes, OS update, point update = same. :-)
  • Reply 7 of 17

Quote:

Was digging around and found this from Apple discussions. YMMV

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4152122?start=15&tstart=0

After reading the link you had provided, i tried LABEL=2TB none ntfs rw,auto,nobrowse on /private/etc/fstab.hd. But still it isn't working. 

Under Disk Utlity, my hdd is showing as 2 TB OEM, but under finder nothing is seen.

please help

• Reply 8 of 17
    Really sorry I can't help, matey.
    None of my machines are running 10.8 - cant test.
    if you have access to a win box you could share your ntfs volume over the network. I dunno - might help in a pinch/ workaround for the meantime.

Fat 32 is still supported and will mount. That would mean that you'd have to hook everything that you want off that disc/volume and then wipe the disc and reformat to fat 32. Then copy everything back. Regressive, I know but ....
    cheers
  • Reply 9 of 17

the only problem i would be facing with Fat32 is that i can't transfer files which is more than 6gb.

some of my dmg files i have (like adobe/final cut pro setup) is more than 6gb.

any work around for this?

• Reply 10 of 17

I have been using NTFS for a long while with Macs, but always via 3rd party software. I started off with Paragon NTFS, and am now using Tuxera NTFS. (I had a licence for the former, than bought the latter). I Use Parallels for all my university software, and find using NTFS flash drives really convenient for moving stuff around. Thus far I haven't had any problems with NTFS as the lowest common denominator. (Natch, all my Mac partitions are HFS+.)

Hope this helps in some way.

• Reply 11 of 17

what i saw with Paragon or Tuxera is, every time i upgrade my mac os like Snow leapord to Lion then to Mountain Lion, it stops stops detecting my ntfs hdd. Then i would download the 'then latest' Paragon and Tuxera which would start detecting my ntfs hdd's.

But this time when i upgraded to Mountain lion, even though i upgraded my Paragon, it didn't recognise my ntfs hdd. Later, also tried with Tuxera which also didn't help.

Latest news i heard is, if i format my hdd to ExFat, both Windows and Mac will read/write without any problem. No need for any third party software like Paragan or Tuxera. Does anyone have tried this yet?

• Reply 12 of 17

Originally Posted by amstos View Post

the only problem i would be facing with Fat32 is that i can't transfer files which is more than 6gb.

some of my dmg files i have (like adobe/final cut pro setup) is more than 6gb.

any work around for this?

Yes, don't use FAT32. It has a file size limit of 4GB. Just make it ExFAT instead.

• Reply 13 of 17

thanks, 

have you used ExFat....if yes, then what's your review on it

• Reply 14 of 17

Originally Posted by amstos View Post

thanks, 

have you used ExFat....if yes, then what's your review on it

I haven't myself, but from everything I read about it, it's what you should be using for this situation. FAT32 is bloat out the wazoo and it can't even handle large files. ExFat is cross-platform r/w natively, handles large files, and is a slimmer format then FAT32.

It's "designed for flash/removable storage", but it works fine on the regular stuff.

• Reply 15 of 17

sounds good image

will try ExFat and see how it goes

• Reply 16 of 17
    Hello, Iam using ML 10.8.3 i had a drive formatted to ntfs so i was no able to copy from my macbook to the drive.So i installed paragon ntfs for mac and from that point and on the computer does not recognize at all any ntfs drives or flash drives that are formatted on pc. Does anyone experienced something like that before?
  • Reply 17 of 17
    mattewmattew Posts: 1member

OS X 10.8 on my Air reads external NTFS HDDs perfectly, as it was said earlier, there is a difficulty to write something on NTFS drives, but it can be solved using 3G and MacFUSE or Paragon NTFS for Mac.. Really can't imagine why there can be any troubles, maybe your HDD is broken?