Apple could be planning iOS device with 128GB of storage

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
A more intimate inspection of Apple's latest iOS 6.1 beta reveals that Apple may be planning to introduce an iOS device with double the built-in storage of today's highest capacity iPhones and iPads.

Capacity

The discovery, as first reported by iDownloadBlog, notes the usual 8GB, 16GB, 32GB and 64GB partition keys are joined by a new 128GB designation in the iOS 6.1 BuildManifest as of the fifth beta, which began making its way to developers on Saturday.

While the presence of the new partition padding itself does not necessarily indicate that Apple will offer a 128GB model with its next generation of iOS devices, it shows that the company may at least be preparing for the possibility.

Apple's current offerings for the iPhone, iPad and iPod touch top out at 64GB, meaning a jump to 128GB would be an effective doubling of today's maximum capacity.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 73
    iPad mini retina 16, 32, 64 beginning at $329
    iPad 5 32, 64, 128 beginning at $499

Will help to differentiate the two beyond display size.
  • Reply 2 of 73
    According to this 9to5mac article / rumor, it could quite likely be a new storage bump to the 4th Gen iPad;

http://************/2013/01/27/apple-ready-to-release-additional-ipad-model-likely-128gb-version/
  • Reply 3 of 73
    And price. If the iPhone with contract tops out at $499 and the iPad tops out at $850 I think with wifi and I think the mini tops outwith wifi probably $500, not sure cause i haven't priced them yet, that means 128GB total storage would be up around at least a $599 or $699 with a 2 year plan or a grand with wifi on iPad. If that's the case, you might as well go out and get yourself the cheapest iMac.
  • Reply 4 of 73

According to this 9to5mac article / rumor, it could quite likely be a new storage bump to the 4th Gen iPad;

• Reply 5 of 73
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Nice rumor; I'll buy it.

Got the 64GB now and it's chockfull. The ease of which to load a movie onto it and displaying it at a friends' house makes me want to have more storage.. When I ordered the 64 I didn't think I'd be using it to the fullest, but I always get the largest iPhone and iPad. [COLOR=FFFFFF]I wonder how long it takes for some people to point out that Apple overcharges for their NAND flash and ought to simply put a SD Card reader in there.[/COLOR]
  • Reply 6 of 73
    About time.
  • Reply 7 of 73
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    It's for the new Apple TV. You know the 'real TV' one.
  • Reply 8 of 73
    timbittimbit Posts: 331member
    Idk if I would need it for my iPhone but it would be useful for the iPad
  • Reply 9 of 73
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member

I can see an iPad with 128GB being they are sued for work and education.  Makes sense.  On an iPhone, I would think it would be more of a luxury.

• Reply 10 of 73

Yeah, but wouldn't it be great if the capacity doubled while the price remained the same?

• Reply 11 of 73
    It's about time -- 128GB iPhone and iPad models are long overdue and awaited by imaging professionals. If Apple does add a 13 megapixel camera to the iPhone, a 128GB storage option will be needed on that device as much as on the iPad. This also probably is being done at this time to counter Microsoft's 128GB Surface Pro option.
  • Reply 12 of 73

This rumor makes sense in terms of component supplier capabilities.

I, for one, would love to have 128GB and would upgrade my iPad mini, iPad 4 and iPhone 5 in a heartbeat just for this.

• Reply 13 of 73
    jonyojonyo Posts: 117member
    I have a classic ipod with 160GB and it's juuuust about dead full. If they came out with a 128GB iphone, I'd considering trimming which parts of my music collection I sync and using my iphone as my car stereo the way I currently use my ipod. 64GB is great, but it's not enough for me to give up the old ipod yet. Either way, should be interesting to see which product goes to 128GB first, the iphone, ipod touch, ipad, or what.
  • Reply 14 of 73
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Yeah, but wouldn't it be great if the capacity doubled while the price remained the same?

You just might get your wish as the most logical step would be to retain an entry-level price of US 499.00 for the iPad 4 +WiFi while making 32gb the base capacity.

iPad 4/32gb = US 499.00

iPad 4/64gb = US 599.00

iPad 4/128gb = US 699.00

It's also about time that the either started including GSP modules in all of the iPad offerings or (at least) reduce the price of the cellular/GPS upgrade to US 99.00 or so.

We'll See Soon Enough... ?
  • Reply 15 of 73
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    hdboy wrote: »
    It's about time -- 128GB iPhone and iPad models are long overdue and awaited by imaging professionals. If Apple does add a 13 megapixel camera to the iPhone, a 128GB storage option will be needed on that device as much as on the iPad. This also probably is being done at this time to counter Microsoft's 128GB Surface Pro option.

Given that the Microsoft Surface Pro is running a Full Desktop Operating System, NOT merely a mobile one limited to only mobile apps, the iPad (in any capacity) is hardly a direct competitor to most (logical-thinking) consumers.
  • Reply 16 of 73
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    People on MacRumors are claiming this is just to get the ASP up on the iPad. Once again no matter what Apple does someone's going to be cynical about it. :rolleyes:
  • Reply 17 of 73
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    hdboy wrote: »

Once again, the iPad is not competing with the Surface Pro.

The iPad competes with the Surface RT. ARM, no desktop apps, etc.

The MBA competes with the Surface Pro (especially given the price points and the fact that all the Surface Pro ads talk about is the keyboard - which suggests that most of them will be sold with keyboard).
  • Reply 18 of 73
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    daharder wrote: »
    Given that the Microsoft Surface Pro is running a Full Desktop Operating System, NOT merely a mobile one limited to only mobile apps, the iPad (in any capacity) is hardly a direct competitor to most (logical-thinking) consumers.

And yet all those logical-thinking consumers failed to adopt the Windows-based tablet despite having more than a decade head start over the iPad and MS has made Windows RT which can't use any of the apps that logical-thinking consumers would want but have to use mobile apps that apparently can't do a damn thing.
  • Reply 19 of 73
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member
    iPad mini retina 16, 32, 64 beginning at $329
    iPad 5 32, 64, 128 beginning at $499

Will help to differentiate the two beyond display size.

I agree.

Apple seems to be moving extremely aggressively with the iPad. They are not letting Android gain a foothold in the market.

They will probably surprise us with a full Retina Mini retaining its $329 price and a 32GB iPad for $499
  • Reply 20 of 73
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member

Most of the high end Android phones will have the ability to reach 128GB and even higher this year. Some may already allow that now. Granted you have to use a SD card to reach that but not really that big of a deal. Apple really doesn't have much of a choice to offer 128GB as well. I am just surprised it took this long.