Rumor: Apple's low-cost iPhone to have 4" screen, mostly plastic body

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
The rumored low-cost iPhone from Apple will feature a largely plastic body that will be noticeably thicker than the iPod touch, according to a new report.

iPhone
Budget iPhone mockup, via iLounge.

Purported details on Apple's anticipated "budget" iPhone were reported on Monday by Jeremy Horwitz of iLounge. Citing people apparently familiar with the design of the device, he said it will feature a 4-inch display like the iPhone 5, but will also borrow some design elements from the latest iPod touch, and even the company's legacy iPod classic.

The low-cost iPhone will reportedly be "just barely" larger than the iPhone 5, measuring a millimeter thicker. While it will look nearly identical to the iPhone 5 from the front, differences are said to be more noticeable on the side of the device.

"The circular volume buttons of the iPhone 4, 4S and 5 will shift to elongated, pill-shaped designs closer to the iPod touch and the iPhone 3G/3GS," Horwitz wrote. "Apple's budget housing looks closest to the iPod classic in shape, though not in materials."

The curves of the cheaper iPhone will reportedly "start and end at flat surfaces" like the iPod classic, rather than the curved back featured on the iPhone 3G and iPhone 3GS.

Like the new iPod touch, the screen on the low-cost iPhone will reportedly stick out slightly from the device. But unlike the fifth-generation iPod touch, the camera lens will not protrude from the back of the body.

"The budget iPhone will look a lot like an iPhone 5 from the front, an iPod classic from the side, and an iPod touch 5G on the bottom ? only made from plastic rather than glass or metal," Horwitz wrote.

The same sit reported last week that Apple's less expensive plastic iPhone, geared toward emerging markets, will launch later this year. Reports first began to surface earlier this month indicating that Apple is planning to build a cheaper iPhone intended to target countries like China.

Market watchers have predicted that Apple could sell a cheaper iPhone for around $199 without a contract subsidy. At that price point, it's projected that Apple could attain gross margins around 30 percent.

Currently, Apple's cheapest smartphone option is the iPhone 4, which is available for $450 without a contract in the U.S. But the price on that same handset moves up to $490 in China and $750 in Brazil when local taxes are added.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 75

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"The circular volume buttons of the iPhone 4, 4S and 5 will shift to elongated, pill-shaped designs closer to the iPod touch and the iPhone 3G/3GS," Horwitz wrote. "Apple's budget housing looks closest to the iPod classic in shape, though not in materials."

The curves of the cheaper iPhone will reportedly "start and end at flat surfaces" like the iPod classic, rather than the curved back featured on the iPhone 3G and iPhone 3GS.

Sounds like this. Meaning sounds like prototypes.

I'm sick of the idea of Apple giving people what they whine about.

• Reply 2 of 75
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    This sounds terrible! I hope it isn't true, if it is Mr Schiller lied! And again if true, are they bowing to pressure from the likes of China Mobile?
  • Reply 3 of 75
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    1983 wrote: »
    This sounds terrible! I hope it isn't true, if it is Mr Schiller lied! And again if true, are they bowing to pressure from the likes of China Mobile?

It all sounds very reasonable to me. It's not something I would want and I can see the need in countries where the base has less money and the tariffs are high. Yes, I think it makes sense to consider that a deal with China Mobile might require some changes at their behest. They already need to make changes to have a GSM '2G', TD-SCDMA '3G', and TD-LTE '4G' device; and I doubt TD-LTE would be included.
  • Reply 4 of 75
    If the phone is in a case which 90% of phones are, what does it matter if the housing is plastic?
  • Reply 5 of 75

*sigh*

(but a RUMOURED *sigh* . . . I might not have actually sighed at all.)

• Reply 6 of 75
    chiachia Posts: 713member
    Curiously, when Value Added Tax is removed, the current unlocked iPhone 4 is actually cheaper in the UK than it is in the USA!

Anybody visiting the UK from the USA who needs to upgrade to an iPhone 4 and have an unlocked phone for roaming can hit two birds with one stone, just be sure to claim back the tax!

As for these plastic iPhone rumours, they make the presumption that the casing is a considerable part of the total cost of manufacture.

It's notable that the Apple TV is the only non-accessory device in Apple's entire current range with a plastic case.
  • Reply 7 of 75
    Seems like common sense to develop a product with a price point that can reach a huge part of the market. Will people stop buying the more expensive phones? I suppose, but there are other benefits associated with exposing people to Apple products. People who buy 1 are more likely to buy a second.

Expanding the reach of iOS makes it more attractive to advertising revenue. Admittedly I dont know much about it, but as it reaches more people it would seem to follow that advertisers would pay more for space and time.

Then there are the secondary purchases of software to consider.

Anyone want to elaborate on the cons in relation to the positives of expanding the customer base?
  • Reply 8 of 75
    If the phone is in a case which 90% of phones are, what does it matter if the housing is plastic?

Is that an accurate figure? I don't use a case and it appears most tech pundits I follow don't use one either but that's a collection of people who tend to have more disposable income and refresh their products more frequently so it's certainly not a good measure of all users. Cases are certainly a big market, I just don't see too many of them.

PS: I was recently given a case as a gift (TARDIS case) which I tried to use. I even changed my lock screen image to be the inside and added sound effects for incoming calls and messages but I still only used it for about 2 weeks before i decided I prefer the device naked.
  • Reply 9 of 75
    simtubsimtub Posts: 277member
    I think even if Apple has another iPhone model in the works, it still won't be sold as a cheap phone. Apple will release it with next to full functionality but call it a different name so that it will sit nicely alongside the iPhone 5/5S/6. Just like when before the iPad Mini came out, people expected Apple to release a 7" device and priced to compete against cheap Android and Amazon tablets but Apple blew everyone away by pricing it higher than the competition yet still sell well.

Unless I'm totally wrong and Apple are doing this to feed different markets with the purpose of keeping everyone on the platform and vibrant ecosystem. After all a cheap phone still needs apps, music etc on the device.

Personally I care about handset design and I never put a cover over my phone. There are however millions of people out there that seal their phone in a case.. These people obviously care about the phone but perhaps not so much the design. They would probably buy a cheaper material phone providing functionality is the same. Also the same goes to outdoor/sports phone users.
  • Reply 10 of 75

Originally Posted by GadgetCanada View Post

If the phone is in a case which 90% of phones are…

Citation needed. image

• Reply 11 of 75

Quote:

Originally Posted by simtub View Post

I think even if Apple has another iPhone model in the works, it still won't be sold as a cheap phone. Apple will release it with next to full functionality but call it a different name so that it will sit nicely alongside the iPhone 5/5S/6. Just like when before the iPad Mini came out, people expected Apple to release a 7" device and priced to compete against cheap Android and Amazon tablets but Apple blew everyone away by pricing it higher than the competition yet still sell well.

Unless I'm totally wrong and Apple are doing this to feed different markets with the purpose of keeping everyone on the platform and vibrant ecosystem. After all a cheap phone still needs apps, music etc on the device.

Personally I care about handset design and I never put a cover over my phone. There are however millions of people out there that seal their phone in a case.. These people obviously care about the phone but perhaps not so much the design. They would probably buy a cheaper material phone providing functionality is the same. Also the same goes to outdoor/sports phone users.

interesting point.

• Reply 12 of 75
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

I wonder if they will be carrier locked. Also will they be available in US, Europe, or just China, Latin America, etc?

• Reply 13 of 75
    I'm still not convinced Apple would do something like this. Why not just start making the 3GS with a faster processor?
  • Reply 14 of 75

Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

I'm still not convinced Apple would do something like this. Why not just start making the 3GS with a faster processor?

That's what this is. Frankly both ideas are out of character.

• Reply 15 of 75
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Yet another B.S. rumor but, if true, it means Tim Cook and the upper management of Apple have lied through their teeth. We are always hearing that "We won't make or sell junk" and that "Customer experience is paramount with us."

This rumored abomination would break both of those statements and make liars out of the Apple brass.
  • Reply 16 of 75
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Re: cases.

One of the interesting results of all the Apple lawsuits, is that they've had to reveal a lot of previously kept secret information.   For example:

Quote:

(The trial) also gave glimpses into (Apple's) strategy and customers, and each fact

-- like an internal survey showing that 78% of iPhone owners buy cases --

was quickly disseminated and discussed in tweets and blog posts by people tracking the high-stakes case.

- WSJ

• Reply 17 of 75
    bdkennedy1 wrote: »

3GS uses a 3.5" 480x320 TN display so even if you use a more modern ASIC you still have that working against you. If this rumour is true it's going to be a quality device that can reach markets previously noted. I would be surprised to see this sold in the US.
  • Reply 18 of 75
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member

This will be a huge hit if it is true. Apple are very good at making cheaper without going "cheap".  I figured they would try and introduce an entry level phone at around $350, but if they can make a 30% margin off a $199 phone even better. The zero subsidy world market is many times larger than the subsidy model found mostly on the big carriers in the U.S. and a few other countries. T-Mobile may not be the last carrier to offer cheaper plans if you pay full price for your phone. Sprint is already testing this with a new pre-paid service they just started. 

I can't remember exactly, but I think companies like AT&T and Verizon get their money back on their subsidy around the 14th or 15th month of a 2 year contract for an average iPhone. Around $25 a month of your plan price is actually used to pay for the phone, but they don't discount your plan after it is paid off. This model works especially well for them if the customers upgrades even later than they are allowed. But as phones become more expensive and pre-paid gains in subscribers they may decide to follow T-Mobiles lead and offer cheaper plans for BYOD customers. Apple would be wise to be prepared for that possibility. Since around 3/4 of the world market is already using this model it is a very logical move. 

• Reply 19 of 75
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Citation needed. image

You want citations. OK I'll give ya citations!!

http://www.digby.com/mobile-statistics/

Kidding with you TS. I doubt any of them had anything to do with what you wanted, but hey. . .image

EDIT: I see KDarling found your citation.

• Reply 20 of 75

Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

…if true, it means Tim Cook and the upper management of Apple have lied through their teeth. We are always hearing that "We won't make or sell junk" and that "Customer experience is paramount with us."

Why? How are this and what they said mutually exclusive?