Microsoft Office 365 Home Premium installs on up to 5 devices for $99.99 a year

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Microsoft on Tuesday announced worldwide availability of Office 365 Home Premium for both Mac and PC, ushering in what the company called a "reinvention" of its flagship productivity suite with a new subscription-based plan offering access on up to five devices.

Office

Office 365 Home Premium includes the latest and most complete set of Office applications, and they can be installed on up to five devices including Macs, PCs, and Windows tablets.

Users can access Office 365 for $99.99 per year, which works out to $8.34 per month. Microsoft plans to deliver new features and services to the cloud first, making them available to subscribers as soon as they are ready, rather than employing the company's previous three-year wait period for major new software releases.

"Today's launch of Office 365 Home Premium marks the next big step in Microsoft's transformation to a devices and services business," said Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer. "This is so much more than just another release of Office. This is Office reinvented as a consumer cloud service with all the full-featured Office applications people know and love, together with impressive new cloud and social benefits."

Office

Office 365 Home Premium is available in 162 markets and in 21 languages. It includes the following:
  • The latest and most complete set of Office applications: Word, Excel, PowerPoint, OneNote, Outlook, Publisher and Access
  • One license for the entire household to use Office on up to five devices, including Windows tablets, PCs or Macs, and Office on Demand available from any Internet-connected PC
  • An additional 20 GB of SkyDrive cloud storage, nearly three times the amount available with a free SkyDrive account
  • 60 free Skype world calling minutes per month to call mobile phones, landlines or PCs around the world
  • Future upgrades, so you always use the latest time-saving technology
More information and a free 30-day trial are available from Microsoft at office.com.

Office

Also available on Tuesday is Office 365 University for college or university students, faculty and staff. It's available for $79.99 for a four-year subscription, which works out to $1.67 per month.

Finally, Microsoft also launched updated versions of its traditional Office suite: Office Home and Student, Office Home and Business 2013, and Office Professional 2013. The company also plans to launch Office 365 for businesses on Feb. 27.

Still rumored to be in the works is a version of Microsoft's Office suite for iOS devices. Microsoft's own website has referenced mobile versions of Office for iPad and iPhone, but the software is not yet available.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 77

No thanks.  I'll wait for the next native version of Office:Mac.  2011 works great for me.  

• Reply 2 of 77

"five devices" ? Where did they get that idea from ?

• Reply 3 of 77
    You have to be a very sad person to use office in 2013, unless you have a very specific use for it.
  • Reply 4 of 77
    jmc54jmc54 Posts: 207member

Thankfully, pages and keynote meet all my office needs!

• Reply 5 of 77
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    Does anyone really care about this overpriced crap?

I really hope this isn't going to be the only version of Office on iOS when it arrives. If its not a genuine iOS app, then I bet it will fail.
  • Reply 6 of 77
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

You have to be a very sad person to use office in 2013, unless you have a very specific use for it.

Yes, if you've seen the interface of Office 2013 for Windows it looks horrible. It reminds be of a Windows 95 application. 

• Reply 7 of 77

What's the meaning of the 365? Oh goodness it doesn't mean that you have access to it 365 days a year? Do they change the name during leap years?

• Reply 8 of 77

Quote:

Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

Does anyone really care about this overpriced crap?

I really hope this isn't going to be the only version of Office on iOS when it arrives. If its not a genuine iOS app, then I bet it will fail.

People at university usually have Windows for free, and that's the only people that i know that update their shitty OS legally. All others go to piratebay.

Office? that's cute. We do not have office for free (looks like the msdna program is much cheaper that way) so everyone that i know who has a recent (2007+) MSoffice suite "bought it" on piratebay. Usually, I do not aprove that behaviour (i do not have pirated software on my mac at all), but it's a great way to "punish" stupid teachers/universities that demand something on proprietary format. It's "their" fault, they are the ones responsible for the culture of piracy that was created.

It's time for them to realize that they can't demand us to use MS sh*t anymore... they just can't.

Thank god that people only ask for pdfs these days, and when we need to work on autocad or visual studio whe get the choice to get everything we need for free.

Give us choice, and we will choose well. But demanding us to pay something (a lot) because the stupid person in question wants docx file? There's no way.

• Reply 9 of 77

Quote:

Give us choice, and we will choose well. But demanding us to pay something (a lot) because the stupid person in question wants docx file? There's no way.

LibreOffice can do everything Microsoft Office does, for free (edit : and legally), you know (including .docx files)

• Reply 10 of 77
    kerrybkerryb Posts: 270member
    Free free free.. The fact that you have "buy" software on piratebay proves you still use this software and if you use something that you did not make yourself it probably belongs to someone else. Justifying theft is lame. Sure M$ Office is more than most people can use and priced to high for today's market but there are plenty of other options out there and many are open source and "free". A fair amount of labor and skill goes into building software and those that create it should be compensated for their efforts. Try working for "free" and see how well that works out for you. If you want to complain about something notice how M$ and Adobe are moving to a subscription based business now. The days of buying an app once and using it until you decided to invest more money into it for an upgrade may soon be over. That to me is an alarming change in the tech business and no doubt it was a response to all of you that "buy" at pirate bay.
  • Reply 11 of 77
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,251member

You do realize that Office 2013 is only for Windows. Office 365 is the cloud-based, pay me constantly version, for Macs. Universities and enterprise/government installations don't get Office for free, not by a long shot. It's paid for either up front or through Microsoft's service contract, which is very costly. It just looks like these people aren't paying for it but they are (in tuition costs and by our taxes).

• Reply 12 of 77

Being a long-time Mac user, I find MS Office extremely frustrating to use. It's so awkward, counter-intuitive and buggy, I dont' understand how people put up with it. Most of the time I just use Pages and export to .pdf for my co-workers. Life is too short to struggle with bad software.

Paying $100 every year to torture myself with this piece of sh.t seems like a ridiculous proposition. I'd rather give up on Office altogether than subscribe.

What are they smoking in Redmond these days..

• Reply 13 of 77

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnyb0731 View Post

What's the meaning of the 365? Oh goodness it doesn't mean that you have access to it 365 days a year? Do they change the name during leap years?

It actually stops working on February 29th.

• Reply 14 of 77

Quote:

Originally Posted by umrk_lab View Post

LibreOffice can do everything Microsoft Office does, for free, you know (including .docx files)

That's not the point. Right now, nobody needs msoffice, because LibreOffice does that, even if it isn't perfect at converting Docx files (MSoffice isn't perfect at that too, lol). However, people should use Libreoffice because they like and because they want to use it, not because they must find a way to convert their documents to proprietary formats. That makes Libreoffice a shitty non-wanted product, not a first tier product.

I pay for my studies, so universities should allow me/us to use the necessary software because we already gave our money to them. And they should choose their software very well. Microsoft office? No one in their right mind is going to use word or powerpoint on anything related to engineering and they are bloated pieces of trash that cost 100 euros for a cripple student license. Why not open source alternatives that do the same thing?

If they ask for a paper, why not Pdf or open source format? They seriously believe that someone that can barely pay their studies will buy a legit copy of Office? They seriusly believe that someone is going to buy a full licence that costs 400 euros so they can use Acess or OneNote for a semester? What can you do with 400 dolars? They are the ones that most find alternatives, they make people steal, and that's wrong.

Thank god that at my faculty (engineering. The others under the same university are still using this BS) people are starting to have common sense, we already have a beta app for android, we have our own ubuntu distro, computers loaded with the necessary software and no one asks us for a paper on docx/ppt/xls format. I can even use my mac to go to the MSdna software center and download windows (previously i needed windows to download windows), visual studio, I also have yearly licenses for autocad(mac versions), etc.

If they tried to "force" me to use something without it being for free (remember, i pay 1000euros each year on a public unniversity), i would go to piratebay just like everybody else does. With 0 remorse, hoping everyone did the same thing, so things change.

• Reply 15 of 77

Another Hail Marry from Balmer....he'll try a yearly version of Windows as well - to get customers to just pay them constantly (instead of for large product updates) is his dream.  

$100 a year just to use Office....right Balmer, keep on trying.

• Reply 16 of 77
    pfisherpfisher Posts: 758member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jguther View Post

Being a long-time Mac user, I find MS Office extremely frustrating to use. It's so awkward, counter-intuitive and buggy, I dont' understand how people put up with it. Most of the time I just use Pages and export to .pdf for my co-workers. Life is too short to struggle with bad software.

Paying $100 every year to torture myself with this piece of sh.t seems like a ridiculous proposition. I'd rather give up on Office altogether than subscribe.

I like MS Office 2011. However, I like Office 2010 on Windows better. I'm far more productive (keyboard shortcuts and navigation) with work using Windows 7 and Office 2010. Mac is fine for home use.

Sadly, software does not feel snappy on Mac as it does on Windows. Finder is slow and buggy. It's probably because OS X is old and creaky underneath.

Overall prefer Mac, but Windows has Apple beat in a lot of areas with Windows 7 (let's not talk about Windows 8 - fail).

• Reply 17 of 77
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnyb0731 View Post

You have to pay for it 365 days a year.

• Reply 18 of 77
    ruel24ruel24 Posts: 432member

$99 a year??? Who are they kidding with that price? No thanks...

• Reply 19 of 77
    pfisherpfisher Posts: 758member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jguther View Post

I uses Pages for some things, but prefer MS Office on Windows and Mac depending on what I'm doing. If I'm playing with spreadsheets, Office 2010 for Windows is better, although Office 2011 Mac is neat and efficient in other ways.

Microsoft does make good software. Not perfect, but neither is Apple.

• Reply 20 of 77
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member

Quote:

Office 2011 allows me to run a Mac-only household.  I need Word 100% compatibility for work, and Excel really has no equal (including all of the open source alternatives).

Don't assume that Office doesn't have value for anyone, just because you don't like it or prefer not to use it.