New smaller form factor Apple TV supposedly outed by the FCC

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
In a regulatory test document filing on Tuesday, the U.S. Federal Communications Commission revealed an unannounced Apple TV "A1469" model that boasts upgraded internals and a smaller form factor than Apple's current set-top streaming device.

Apple TV width=
Source: FCC

The published FCC filing (via Engadget) suggests that the unit's design will be similar to the two most recent Apple TV iterations, but trims down the overall measurements to 93.78 millimeters square compared to the current model that comes in at 98 millimeters square.

Along with Apple's usual request for confidentiality, the FCC posting offers detailed notes that show the testing ofa low-power 40nm Broadcom wireless chip identified as BCM4334. This specific component is currently being used in the latest iOS devices like the iPhone 5. Also revealed was the inclusion of Apple's A5X processor most recently seen in the third-generation iPad. According to the documentation, testing of the device began as early as October 2012.

It is unclear when Apple intends to issue the tweaked hardware, but analyst Ming-Chi Kuo of KGI Securities reported earlier this month that the multimedia streamer would be the recipient of a refresh sometime this quarter. The last Apple TV refresh came in March 2012, bringing 1080p output and a faster A5 SoC to the device.

Tuesday's news comes on the heels of an Apple TV software version update on Monday that revealed an unknown hardware model designated "AppleTV3,2." The new 5.2 software version added support for bluetooth keyboards and enhanced integration with iTunes in the Cloud.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 67
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member
    We'll probably hear an announcement about this in 2 days :D
  • Reply 2 of 67
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Not sure what's so [I]supposedly[/I]. The FCC filing is legit and it says it's an Apple TV device (digital media receiver) with WiFi and Bluetooth radios, model number A1469.

What's interesting is the need for the change. I'm going to weigh in by saying the biggest features will have a better ASIC on the smaller node and 802.11ac, which then means it gets announced on or after the day the new AirPort routers get announced, which I assume will come with the new Mac Pro (or whatever it's called) and a new Apple Thunderbolt Display can announced.

edit: AnandTech lists the WIFi as BCM4334 which means no 802.11ac. That makes me think this ousting was because it was suppose to drop today along with the new iPad.

[LIST]
    [*] http://www.anandtech.com/show/6709/slightly-smaller-apple-tv-32-a1469-contains-a5x-soc-bcm4334-combo
    [/LIST]
  • Reply 3 of 67
    Now it will have even less weight to keep it from being outweighed by the cables attached to it and falling off!
  • Reply 4 of 67

"Steve would have… " Wait, Steve actually WOULD have been furious at them…

So. It's a box. And it's smaller. Not a TV, huh. Okay.

• Reply 5 of 67
    Now it will have even less weight to keep it from being outweighed by the cables attached to it and falling off!

Lol. Agreed. I have a problem just getting my current one to sit straight with the front of it facing my remote!
  • Reply 6 of 67
    panupanu Posts: 135member
    So, the FCC outed the new Apple TV. I would never have guessed it was gay! Don't worry, Apple TV, it just gets better.
  • Reply 7 of 67

Ha! I velcro'd mine!

• Reply 8 of 67
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    "Steve would have… " Wait, Steve actually WOULD have been furious at them…

So. It's a box. And it's smaller. Not a TV, huh. Okay.

Exactly. It's 5 mm smaller. Nothing about the internals or any additional apps etc.

So file it under BFD.
  • Reply 9 of 67
    kjacobi wrote: »
    Ha! I velcro'd mine!

Great idea. Will do that tonight.
  • Reply 10 of 67
    smalmsmalm Posts: 677member

I hope the 'A5X' is a 28nm part from TSMC and this time both Cortex-A9 cores are active.

AnandTech found a S5L8947 mentioned which is most likely a die shrunk 32nm "A5XR2" made by Samsung.

• Reply 11 of 67
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    H.265 perhaps
  • Reply 12 of 67
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    smalm wrote: »
    I hope the 'A5X' is a 28nm part from TSMC and this time both Cortex-A9 cores are active.

I'd say definitely on the first part and no on the second. It doesn't really need a better CPU as much as it needs a better GPU.

mstone wrote: »
    H.265 perhaps

I don't think there are any chips for that yet. Has it even been finalized?

edit: It's 32nm.
  • Reply 13 of 67
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member

I was just about to say that!   Velcro is perhaps the greatest thing since the microprocessor.  

Quote:

Originally Posted by kjacobi View Post

Ha! I velcro'd mine!

• Reply 14 of 67

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Not sure what's so supposedly. The FCC filing is legit and it says it's an Apple TV device (digital media receiver) with WiFi and Bluetooth radios, model number A1469.

What's interesting is the need for the change. I'm going to weigh in by saying the biggest features will have a better ASIC on the smaller node and 802.11ac, which then means it gets announced on or after the day the new AirPort routers get announced, which I assume will come with the new Mac Pro (or whatever it's called) and a new Apple Thunderbolt Display can announced.

edit: AnandTech lists the WIFi as BCM4334 which means no 802.11ac. That makes me think this ousting was because it was suppose to drop today along with the new iPad.

Very surprised by the lack of 802.11ac-I thought this would be a big year for Apple to roll that out across its Wifi-enabled product lines. Hmmm, wonder what that means for Airport, new Macs and their living room strategy?

• Reply 15 of 67

The real question is has anyone jail broken this device?    I haven't been following the jailbreak scene but this is possibly the only iOS device I would bother jail breaking. 

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I'd say definitely on the first part and no on the second. It doesn't really need a better CPU as much as it needs a better GPU.

It has been finalized, I'm thinking in the last couple of days.    Need to double check that but I seem to remember something to that effect.  

I'm actually hoping for more flash and the possibility of Apple TV apps.  This really seems like a no brainer so I wonder what Apple is afraid of.   Obviously the apps would be different than your run of the mill iOS app and they would need I/O support but that ought to be doable in an Apple TV.  

• Reply 16 of 67
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    solipsismx wrote: »

mstone wrote: »
    H.265 perhaps

Yes it is official and since Apple can design their own chips perhaps it is included but I am no expert on hardware video encoding so perhaps someone more knowledgeable in the new codec can weigh in.
  • Reply 17 of 67
    With the A5X, it might be able to do 3D 1080p. Not a big deal since all newer Blu-Ray players already do this, but a necessary function that Apple TV needs to catch up on. Of course, you would need a 3D TV in order to view and a catalog of 3D movies available.

I would like to see them also catch up and offer the latest HDMI functionality with uncompressed 7.1 audio, Dolby HD, DTS MA-HD, DTS Neo-X, etc.
  • Reply 18 of 67

It is probably the industry maturing a bit.   They as a group made a lot of mistakes with the role out of "n" and pre "n" devices.   So maybe they are wising up and waiting for the right hardware and suitably stable software.  

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carthusia View Post

Very surprised by the lack of 802.11ac-I thought this would be a big year for Apple to roll that out across its Wifi-enabled product lines. Hmmm, wonder what that means for Airport, new Macs and their living room strategy?

It might not mean anything this year.    To put it simply they need the right hardware to put in their mobile devices.   The additional complexity of "AC" means that a process shrink might be required.  It could be a year or two more before "AC" devices achieve power parity with today's WiFi chips.  

• Reply 19 of 67
    lmgslmgs Posts: 63member
    Sticky Tack...

Better than velcro..

I hope this comes out soon.. I'm thinking about getting an Apple TV in the next couple of months..
  • Reply 20 of 67

There are companies that sell IP for hardware decoders.    This is one path Apple could follow or they could develop their own IP in house.   I'm not sure if anybody has the IP ready though.  There are other approaches also, software decoders being one example.  

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Yes it is official and since Apple can design their own chips perhaps it is included but I am no expert on hardware video encoding so perhaps someone more knowledgeable in the new codec can weigh in.