802.11g cards for older Powerbooks

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hello,

I am looking for an 802.11g PC Card for my Powerbook Pismo. Is there one in existence that is compatible with OS X?

Thanks, Steven

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    sorry about the duplicate posts.

-steven
  • Reply 2 of 6
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    Belkin just announced some 802.11g products today, I assume as long as it fits in your PC Card slot, it'll work sometime in Feb (see below).

<a href="http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/0301/14.belkin.php"; target="_blank">http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/0301/14.belkin.php</a>;

[quote]

Belkin's 54g line consists of a wireless cable/DSL router retailing for $149.99, a wireless access point that costs $139.99, a notebook network card for $79.99, and a wireless desktop network card for $79.99. Belkin said the devices are set to ship this week, but an installer for Mac OS 8.6 and higher is not anticipated to be available until February

<hr></blockquote>
  • Reply 3 of 6
    I know Linksys has a 802.11b usb network adapter. I assume they'll have the 802.11g usb adapters soon as well. At least one can hopel. I'd like to get one for my powerbook as well.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    [quote]Originally posted by Dixon:

<strong>I know Linksys has a 802.11b usb network adapter. I assume they'll have the 802.11g usb adapters soon as well. At least one can hopel. I'd like to get one for my powerbook as well.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Just a sidenote, 802.11g is 54 mbps theoretical...USB 1.1 is 12 mbps theoretical. Even with a poor signal, 802.11g will be starved over USB.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    [quote]Originally posted by Eugene:

<strong>

Just a sidenote, 802.11g is 54 mbps theoretical...USB 1.1 is 12 mbps theoretical. Even with a poor signal, 802.11g will be starved over USB.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Good point! I hadn't thought about that, then again they could always make a firewire/USB 2.0 adapter. Wouldn't that work? It does suck that Apple is leaving us all stranded. I don't see why they couldn't have kept the same hardware design for the new cards.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    The old AirPort slot is not fast enough for g; that's why AirPort Extreme uses a different slot.