2013 Honda Accord, Acura RDX & ILX to offer Apple's Siri Eyes Free support

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
The American division of carmaker Honda announced on Wednesday it will integrate support for Apple's voice-driven Siri personal assistant into its 2013 Honda Accord and Acura RDX and ILX models.

Honda Accord
The 2013 Honda Accord will offer Siri Eyes Free integration as a dealer upgrade option.

The feature will be a dealer-installed option for customers who buy the latest model of the vehicles. Using a compatible iPhone running iOS 6, users will be able to direct Siri to perform specific tasks while keeping their eyes on the road.

"iPhone has become so integral to people's lives that they continue to use them in their vehicles," said Vicki Poponi, assistant vice president of automobile product planning, American Honda. "Offering Honda and Acura owners Siri and its Eyes Free mode via Bluetooth is an incredible opportunity to provide next-generation connectivity and meet our customer's ever-changing needs."

Honda was already announced last June as one of nine auto makers that planned to support Siri's Eyes Free mode. However, prior to Wednesday's announcement, it was not known which vehicles Honda planned to offer with Siri integration, or when those vehicles would become available.

Earlier this month at the Consumer Electronics Show, Hyundai also announced it would include Eyes Free support for Siri in its next-generation infotainment systems. Hyundai did not give any specific vehicle models.

General Motors did, however, announce support for its Chevy Spark and Sonic vehicles last November.

Hands Free allows the iPhone screen to stay off and help prevent the driver from being distracted by their device. The Siri personal assistant software talks to a user out loud, allowing them to pay attention to the road.

The other companies that have announced plans to support Siri Eyes Free are BMW, Mercedes-Benz, Land Rover, Jaguar, Audi, Toyota, and Chrysler.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 41
    'American carmaker Honda' really? American? That's like saying 'Chinese iPhone maker Apple'
  • Reply 2 of 41

American Carmaker Honda???

Edit: ThinkKnot beat me to it. Still, the end of the article is wrong... it should be:

The other American companies that have announced plans to support American technology Siri Eyes Free are American BMW, Mercedes-Benz, Land Rover, Jaguar, Audi, Toyota, and Chrysler. All hail our glorious leader.

• Reply 3 of 41
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThinkKnot View Post

'American carmaker Honda' really? American? That's like saying 'Chinese iPhone maker Apple'

I think Honda moved their HQ to the U.S. a few years ago and if not are certainly the most American of any foreign car company.

In any case, this is a good step, a baby step, but a move in the right direction. I want a car with a full iOS experience in the dashboard.

• Reply 4 of 41

Yup, that was funny... didn't know Honda was an American Car Company image

• Reply 5 of 41

Quote:

Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

I think Honda moved their HQ to the U.S. a few years ago and if not are certainly the most American of any foreign car company.

In any case, this is a good step, a baby step, but a move in the right direction. I want a car with a full iOS experience in the dashboard.

Waaa, come on, you're spoiling the fun. I was going to put a North Korean iPad in that guy's hands...

• Reply 6 of 41
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

They probably should have worded it a little differently.

American Honda Motor Co., Inc. of Torrance CA, announced on Wednesday...

Edit: I see they changed the copy slightly and is a little better but still wrong because American Honda is not a division of Honda. It is its own entity for financial purposes.

• Reply 7 of 41

Quote:

Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

I think Honda moved their HQ to the U.S. a few years ago

Nope, their headquarter is still in Japan.... from Wikipedia:

Quote:

Corporate profile and divisions

Honda is headquartered in Minato, Tokyo, Japan. Their shares trade on the Tokyo Stock Exchange and the New York Stock Exchange, as well as exchanges in Osaka, Nagoya, Sapporo, Kyoto, Fukuoka, London, Paris and Switzerland.

The company has assembly plants around the globe. These plants are located in China, the United States, Pakistan, Canada, England, Japan, Belgium, Brazil, México, New Zealand, Malaysia, Indonesia, India, Thailand, Turkey, Taiwan and Perú. As of July 2010, 89 percent of Honda and Acura vehicles sold in the United States were built in North American plants, up from 82.2 percent a year earlier. This shields profits from the yen’s advance to a 15-year high against the dollar.[8]

• Reply 8 of 41

Good for them. But too bad, 'cos they make the dullest, most uninspired cars in the world. Hopefully, the others will follow soon.

• Reply 9 of 41

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Good for them. But too bad, 'cos they make the dullest, most uninspired cars in the world. Hopefully, the others will follow soon.

File:Rubens Barrichello 2006 Brazil.jpg

• Reply 10 of 41

• Reply 11 of 41
    allenbfallenbf Posts: 993member

Really? How so? My Pilot begs to differ. A friend has an Acura that is both beautiful and dependable. He has some 200k miles on it and counting.

Pretty subjective opinion there.
  • Reply 12 of 41

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

The don't make that, they sponsor it ;)

• Reply 13 of 41

Quote:

Originally Posted by drewyboy View Post

Quote:

The don't make that, they sponsor it ;)

They make the engines/chassis for Indy cars too. 

• Reply 14 of 41

I really wish that Toyota would release a software update to my Prius I bought last year for this though I know that they won't

• Reply 15 of 41
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,857member

Quote:

They make the engines too. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_in_Formula_One

Honda hasn't been in F1 since Brawn (now Mercedes) bought them out before the 2009 season, when they were planning to fold the team. In 2009, Brawn had the best car in F1 (development work done while it was still owned by Honda) and Jenson Button won the driver's title. Timing is everything.

• Reply 16 of 41

Apple has had car makers doing integration for a number of years, with iPod ports, this goes a step beyond that, but I think it's a good thing for Apple, the car makers, and the owners.

• Reply 17 of 41
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member

I'm quite a fan of Honda's vehicles. The Accord is no Bugatti Veyron or Maybach I find them well made, economical, and stylish.

I really wish that Toyota would release a software update to my Prius I bought last year for this though I know that they won't

There is one but it's an Over-the-Air update so you're gonna have to do some Dukes of Hazzard jumps until it completely downloads :D

• Reply 18 of 41

Quote:

Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Quote:

They make the engines too. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_in_Formula_One

Honda hasn't been in F1 since Brawn (now Mercedes) bought them out before the 2009 season, when they were planning to fold the team. In 2009, Brawn had the best car in F1 and Jenson Button won the driver's title. Timing is everything.

I see they are still in Indy car. I was confused which cars they were making now.

• Reply 19 of 41

Quote:

I see they are still in Indy car. I was confused which cars they were making now.

Those are just fancy carts. image

• Reply 20 of 41

Quote:

Originally Posted by maclancer View Post

Nope, their headquarter is still in Japan.... from Wikipedia:

Ugly building...