'Temple Run 2' hits 50M downloads to become fastest growing mobile game ever

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
After debuting less than two weeks ago as an exclusive to the iOS App Store, "Temple Run 2" reached the 50 million download mark on Thursday, smashing the previous record set by "Angry Birds Space" in 2012.

Temple Run 2
Source: App Store

It only took 13 days for Imangi Studios' Temple Run 2 to be downloaded onto 50 million iOS and Android devices, a feat that took previous record holder Rovio's Angry Birds Space 35 days to accomplish.

The game is the brainchild of husband-and-wife team Keith Shepherd and Natalia Luckyanova, co-founders of Imangi, and builds on the original Temple Run which has been downloaded more than 170 million times. In June of last year, Imangi partnered with Pixar to release Temple Run: Brave in promotion of the movie studio's newest film.

?Temple Run has evolved into something so much bigger than us,? Shepherd said. ?The game has performed beyond our wildest dreams, and we are thrilled that gamers and fans have embraced Temple Run 2 in such a short period of time.?

After being released in Apple's App Store on Jan. 17, the free-to-play sequel netted over six million downloads in less than 24 hours, catapulting it to the number one spot in the digital storefront's Free Apps section.

Accounting for some of the title's success is its simple gameplay: players control a perpetually running character who must evade randomly generated obstacles by performing well-timed jumps, turns, slides and other maneuvers to stay alive as long as possible.

Temple Run 2 sat at the top of Apple's free apps list for days, but has since slipped to the number two spot. The game remains the number one free app on both Google Play and the Amazon Appstore.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19

Quote:

After debuting less than two weeks ago as an exclusive to the iOS App Store

Please don't use the word 'exclusive', that's nothing remotely close to being exclusive. Yes iOS Appstore got a head start (about 7-10 days), but launching 1st is totally different from being 'an exclusive'. 

• Reply 2 of 19
    Good game and cool graphics, but seems pretty repetitive quickly
  • Reply 3 of 19

Amazing to see what games pass for popular these days. image

• Reply 4 of 19
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Please don't use the word 'exclusive', that's nothing remotely close to being exclusive. Yes iOS Appstore got a head start (about 7-10 days), but launching 1st is totally different from being 'an exclusive'. 

What word would have used? Sounds reasonable to me. There sentence contains "two weeks ago as an exclusive" which means it's only been available on the App Store for the last two weeks. How is that not exclusive?
  • Reply 5 of 19

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

What word would have used? Sounds reasonable to me. There sentence contains "two weeks ago as an exclusive" which means it's only been available on the App Store for the last two weeks. How is that not exclusive?

Just imagine if you'd use the word 'exclusive' for the following example. A game that's being launched on PS3, Xbox360, and Wii, but PS3 will ship the game 1 week sooner. Will anyone actually call that game 'PS3 exclusive'? I'm pretty sure that'd be a no. And if marketing people from Sony dare to market that game as 'exclusively on PS3 for a week!', that'd be news. 

• Reply 6 of 19
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member

This game is seriously too fucking addicting. 

• Reply 7 of 19
    vaelianvaelian Posts: 446member
    Was hoping for this to be something more serious and immersive like Infinity Blade, since I missed the first Temple Run, but after watching videos of people playing it, I'm not too impressed. I mean I may still buy both games, but what I'm really drooling for is Infinity Blade: Dungeons.
  • Reply 8 of 19
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

Reminds me of Aztec Challenge :)

• Reply 9 of 19
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Just imagine if you'd use the word 'exclusive' for the following example. <span style="font-size:13px;line-height:1.231;">A game that's being launched on PS3, Xbox360, and Wii, but PS3 will ship the game 1 week sooner. Will anyone actually call that game 'PS3 exclusive'? I'm pretty sure that'd be a no. And if marketing people from Sony dare to market that game as 'exclusively on PS3 for a week!', that'd be news. </span>

In your example, the game will be exclusive on PS3 for that week. And, yes, Sony could advertise it as exclusive on their platform for only that week. Nothing misleading or incorrect about that statement. And Microsoft and Nintendo would be free to advertise "on Wii and xBox beginning February 10".

It happens all the time.
  • Reply 10 of 19

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

In your example, the game will be exclusive on PS3 for that week. And, yes, Sony could advertise it as exclusive on their platform for only that week. Nothing misleading or incorrect about that statement. And Microsoft and Nintendo would be free to advertise "on Wii and xBox beginning February 10".

It happens all the time.

The issue at hand is that AI used language in a way that is not traditional to what gamers are used to hearing.

In the gaming industry "Exclusives" tend to me 6 to X months deals and people who are old school gamers (PC/Console) are conditioned to this type of terminology and deal lengths.  Additionally, it is not uncommon to see some games take a week to release between systems so when someone like Drobforever (and myself) see the world exclusive used in conjuction with a game release, we expect to see a delay of 6 to X months.  Same deal goes for DLC for games as well.  You do not see 7-day exclusives for DLC in the gaming world.

• Reply 11 of 19
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

Quote:

Originally Posted by zippy2shoes View Post

The issue at hand is that AI used language in a way that is not traditional to what gamers are used to hearing.

In the gaming industry "Exclusives" tend to me 6 to X months deals and people who are old school gamers (PC/Console) are conditioned to this type of terminology and deal lengths.  Additionally, it is not uncommon to see some games take a week to release between systems so when someone like Drobforever (and myself) see the world exclusive used in conjuction with a game release, we expect to see a delay of 6 to X months.  Same deal goes for DLC for games as well.  You do not see 7-day exclusives for DLC in the gaming world.

I agree, a 1 or 2 week lead time on a particular platform does not make something an "exclusive."

• Reply 12 of 19
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member

That would be a reasonable criticism - if this were a hardcore gaming site.

As it is, it is a site that appeals to Mac users - who are educated enough to comprehend the English language.
    ascii wrote: »
    I agree, a 1 or 2 week lead time on a particular platform does not make something an "exclusive."

Yes, it does - for that period.
  • Reply 13 of 19
    haarhaar Posts: 563member
    crash bandicoot!.... ps3...
  • Reply 14 of 19

There is absolutely no association with the word exclusive that implies a certain timeframe. As the AI article clearly notes it debuted as an exclusive title 2 weeks ago.
  • Reply 15 of 19
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member

Quote:

...well it wasn't available to only the App Store for the past two weeks. I can see how readers might read something unintended (?) into the AI article if they didn't follow carefully. 

EDIT: I thought Google Play might give an approximate number of downloads so to get an idea of the number of App Store downloads. Nope. Google Play only puts it in a range between 10M and 50M. 

• Reply 16 of 19
    gatorguy wrote: »
    ...well it wasn't available to only the App Store for the past two weeks. I can see how readers might read something unintended (?) into the AI article if they didn't follow carefully. 

EDIT: I thought Google Play might give an approximate number of downloads so to get an idea of the number of App Store downloads. Nope. Google Play only puts it in a range between 10M and 50M. 

If it wasn't only on the App Store then I can see how it wouldn't be exclusive but that isn't the argument I read. As noted previously it was about the time frame of the exclusivity. Were else was it being sold for those weeks?
  • Reply 17 of 19
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member

Quote:

If it wasn't only on the App Store then I can see how it wouldn't be exclusive but that isn't the argument I read. As noted previously it was about the time frame of the exclusivity. Were else was it being sold for those weeks?

Google Play had it available to download on Jan. 24th, one week after it appeared on iOS. Possible it may even have been a day earlier but dunno. My son played it for a day or two but lost interest.

• Reply 18 of 19
    Well the sequel to the app stores number 1 game for a long time I expect to do the same or better
  • Reply 19 of 19
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    If you haven't downloaded it, I'd hold off. There are some bugs in this version making it very crash prone and laggy, not to mention it doesn't properly record scores, coins etc. several objectives are linked to total coins and distances and the counters are totally screwy so you can't advance past those items.