Fujitsu's ScanSnap iX500 digitizes 25 double-sided docs per minute; wins a Best of Show

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
The straightforward demonstrations you see at Macworld are sometimes the best. No long pitch or hard sale, just a quick demo of a scanner zipping through a few pages and automatically transmitting documents to an iPad.

iX500

The Fujitsu rep had an assortment of documents waiting in the ScanSnap' iX500 tray ($450, Amazon); . Invoices, receipts, deeds, white papers on palm vein biometric verification: you know, all those papers you've likely been meaning to digitize but kept putting off.

It was over in under a minute, and much of that was spent waiting for the network. The attendant pressed a few buttons and the scanner churned through its load, digital versions of the receipts and the biometrics paper popping up on her iPad mini quickly thereafter.

iX500

She said the iX500 can scan up to 25 double-sided pages per minute at a 300-dots-per-inch color resolution. It outputs in JPG, searchable PDF, editable Word or Excel files, or straight to a mobile device. So long as it's connected to a Wi-Fi network, the iX500 can transmit documents directly to an iOS or Android device without the need for an intermediary PC, so long as that device has Fujitsu's app.

"It's great," she said, shuffling the papers to get ready for the next demo, "I barely know how to use a computer, and I've got one of these on my desk, it's so easy."

It looked easy. A simple, well-realized device and app. It's won a Best of Show award for Macworld/iWorld 2013.

iX500

The demo was over. I moved on, thinking I'd probably spent longer snapping pictures than the rep had running through the test drive.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    This is just a ripoff of what Doxie was doing *last* year. They just won because they are Fujitsu and it's a small show that no one goes to anymore.
  • Reply 2 of 7

This is something I really want to own.

• Reply 3 of 7
    bugsnwbugsnw Posts: 717member

They are fast and easy to use. We have several in our office and they save tons of paper, filing time and storage space.

• Reply 4 of 7
    I wish it could scan books that fast
  • Reply 5 of 7
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member

Cut the pages out and you can.

• Reply 6 of 7
    I have the ScanSnap S1500M and it is great. A life changer. This looks even better.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    I have the S1300 but have been waiting for an upgrade to the s1500m. Now that its here, I'll upgrade in the next few months.

To the comment about the Doxie. Those Doxie scanners are more like the Scansnap s1000 or whatever model that is. This scanner is in a whole different league.

Also, HP officejet multi-function have had the ability to scan straight to iOS for quite awhile too. Unfornately the HP app isn't optimized for the iPad making it less useful.