Apple tells reseller new Mac Pro coming in spring 2013

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
An Apple Authorized Reseller in France has revealed that the company plans to release its updated Mac Pro desktop this spring, suggesting the hardware will arrive sooner rather than later.

France Systemes disclosed the details in its latest newsletter, as first discovered by French site Mac4Ever. This year, the spring season runs from March 20 to June 20.

Mac Pro (Hero)

Apple apparently disclosed the launch window for the new Mac Pro to ease concerns over the fact that the current model will no longer be available in Europe starting March 1. Sales of the Mac Pro desktop will cease in less than a month because of new regulatory requirements in Europe.

In a rare public disclosure about an upcoming product, Apple announced last June that it was planning on updating the Mac Pro in 2013. Apple Chief Executive Tim Cook sent an email in which he confirmed his company was "working on something really great."

Cook's comments assuaged concerns that Apple could be planning to ax the Mac Pro from its lineup entirely. The high-end professional desktop is largely a niche product for the company, and it hasn't seen a meaningful upgrade in years.

While Apple has signaled it will update the Mac Pro this year, there's been no indication as to exactly what the company is planning to do. Some have speculated that a complete redesign of the current tower, the design of which dates back to the company's Power Mac G5.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 529
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    Please make it smaller and cheaper....I bet it will sell well.
  • Reply 2 of 529

It can't come soon enough. Unfortunately, many pros have simply moved on to an iMac or MacBook Pro, so I wouldn't be surprised if sales are a bit soft.

Also, they really need to get back to their previous pricing structure where they would sell a bare bones Power Mac for ~$1799.

• Reply 3 of 529
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,823member

I'll be watching... Mathematica powerhouse. image

• Reply 4 of 529
    The irony here is that I would love one for my iTunes/Apple TV server and to be my iPhoto/Aperture machine, but, as it is now? The Mac mini is near ideal.

Depending on what they do with it (safe to assume it won't be as power hungry), I may pick one up to be a headless Mac. Hook it up to my plasma to set up and then just remote in for editing photos, ripping, etc.
  • Reply 5 of 529

So!!! finally March it is! Hurray, can't wait to get my fingers on this one. Now I start to be glad, that I skipped the last upgrade. To my surprise quite aged MacPro runs Mountain Lion quite all right, but I guess it is going to be stuck with it.

I say my spared money is waiting.

• Reply 6 of 529

I also can't wait to see what it is. I hope it brings TB and state of the art "really desktop level" graphics not like the mobile cards used in the iMac right now. While the nVidia GTX 680MX is a good card for all around general purpose, it still is a mobile card and no where near powerful enough for heavy duty tasks or for high FPS @ very high screen resolutions. 

We need a real desktop that also is expandable and has easy access. Hope they get good accessories with it, enterprise class SSDs or WD Velociraptors instead of the old SAS drives. BTW BRING ON SATA 3 :D I almost forgot how out of date the current Mac Pro is.

My cash is also waiting.

• Reply 7 of 529
    This is bullshit. I work in an Apple Premium Reseller as well and if there is one thing we don't know it's new product releases. Especially brand new design releases etc.

The APR is probably just telling this to keep their customers from not buying the current Mac Pro because it is hard to get in the current distribution channel (it's being faded out in Europe).
  • Reply 8 of 529

Make it so. 

• Reply 9 of 529
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rabbit_Coach View Post

So!!! finally March it is!

That or March 1st and Europe will go dark for a few months as the new Mac Pro could be introduced on June 19th, the very last day of Spring in the Northern Hemisphere.  Hey, they said iMac would be available in November and it was...  November 30th!  image image

/

/

/

• Reply 10 of 529
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    I would *never* open a business in France. Just sayin.
  • Reply 11 of 529
    Just let it fit into a 19" rack mount without needing to saw off the handles!
  • Reply 12 of 529

Quote:

Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

Please make it smaller and cheaper....I bet it will sell well.

It may in fact be smaller and cheaper, but to try and design it that way on purpose kind of goes against the whole raison d'etre for the Mac pro in the first place.  

It's not a mini tower for joe average to tinker with in his basement just because he "doesn't like" all-in-ones.  It's a professional grade machine. 

• Reply 13 of 529
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    I don't trust this reseller. If it's true, they should know better than say anything because release information is supposed to be proprietary. If Apple were to leak it, they'd leak it to one of the major journalists or newspapers, such as Walt Mossberg @ WSJ.

It can't come soon enough. Unfortunately, many pros have simply moved on to an iMac or MacBook Pro, so I wouldn't be surprised if sales are a bit soft.

Also, they really need to get back to their previous pricing structure where they would sell a bare bones Power Mac for ~$1799.

I think they even used to have a single 1.8GHz G5 at $1499 USD. The problem was that model didn't compare well with an iMac in the same price ranges. I recall a dual socket G5 used to cost $2000, and the entry point for Mac Pro even climbed to $2700 temporarily. Down to $2500 now.
  • Reply 14 of 529

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndreiD View Post

... We need a real desktop that also is expandable and has easy access. Hope they get good accessories with it, enterprise class SSDs or WD Velociraptors instead of the old SAS drives. BTW BRING ON SATA 3 :D I almost forgot how out of date the current Mac Pro is. ...

The Mac Pro isn't, and never has been, a "desktop".  It's a Pro grade machine.  The Mac/iMac is the only "desktop" class machine that Apple has ever sold. 

• Reply 15 of 529
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    I really hope they keep the same design. Don't need a new one right now, but when I do it'll look great next to all my old ones that I lined up. The interior has always been redesigned, so I expect nothing less there.

edit: this news will make [B]DigitalClips[/B] happy
  • Reply 16 of 529
    go4d1go4d1 Posts: 34member

I'm 68 years old (still building web sites) and I figure I've got one more PC to go in my life. I think I'll hold on till DDR-4 arrives!

• Reply 17 of 529
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    gazoobee wrote: »
    The Mac Pro isn't, and never has been, a "desktop".  It's a Pro grade machine.  The Mac/iMac is the only "desktop" class machine that Apple has ever sold. 

It's actually both: it was marketed as de desktop for professionals. And the iMac was the desktop for consumers. Surely you remember that slide fromt he old iCEO days. Desktop/Laptop / Professional/Consumer
  • Reply 18 of 529

• Reply 19 of 529

Quote:

Originally Posted by IQatEdo View Post

I'll be watching... Mathematica powerhouse. image

I'm all in for a Mathematica powerhouse. The problem is you need the right licence to make use of all the cores - and that gets expensive rather quickly.

• Reply 20 of 529
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

It's actually both: it was marketed as de desktop for professionals. And the iMac was the desktop for consumers. Surely you remember that slide fromt he old iCEO days. Desktop/Laptop / Professional/Consumer

Correct, its a desktop. It may not be sitting on your desktop, but its still classified as a "desktop" computer. And, you don't have to be a Professional to use a MacPro. I've owned both a PowerMac G5 and a MacPro simply because of its upgrade capabilities (video card, hard drives, etc). There are more reasons to own a MacPro than just being a professional. The fact of the matter is, there are many who use an iMac for "Professional" tasks as its more than capable for doing such things and its much cheaper and things an iMac cannot handle efficiently would be handled better by a Mac Pro.