ProCutX brings Final Cut Pro X controls to Apple's iPad

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Video professionals looking to bridge the gap between their Mac and iPad can turn to ProCutX, a new iPad app that allows editors to control Apple's Mac-based Final Cut Pro X.

ProCutX

The new application, designed by Pixel Film Studios and created by LightWORK, debuted on the iPad App Store on this week for $24.99. The software aims to enhance and streamline the Final Cut Pro X editing experience, translating it to a touch-friendly environment on the iPad.

ProCutX is designed to break free from menus and tabs in an effort to streamline editors' tasks. Using the iPad application, users have control over all of Final Cut Pro X's editing tools.

A dial interface in the center of the iPad application offers timeline scrubbing, allowing users to move the playhead frame by frame by dragging their finger around the wheel. And the Toolbox feature lets users select, cut and trim footage without needing to use their Mac's mouse, trackpad or keyboard.

ProCutX also includes a Color Board to adjust exposure, saturation and color, while users can also autocorrect white balance, color and noise removal. The software also offers multichannel audio editing, compound clip controls, and streamlined importing and sharing.

ProCutX

ProCutX is the first iOS application from Pixel Film Studios, a California-based developer of visual effects tools for the post-production and broadcast community that also sells plugins, transitions and effects for Apple's Final Cut Pro X. For example, Profilm, one of its available plugins, gives footage a theatrical 35-millimeter film look.

Pixel Film Studios informed AppleInsider that the company plans to add new features to ProCutX in the near future, including Siri-like voice command capabilities and support for multiple iPad integration, allowing users to separate tasks such as color grading, audio controls and effect controls.

ProCutX requires Final Cut Pro X version 10.0.7 and an iPad running iOS 5.1 or later. Version 1.0 is an 8.6-megabyte download from the App Store.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    [font=Impact]Thats a really good idea![/font]
  • Reply 2 of 13
    Quite brilliant, nice price, but I don't need it :D
  • Reply 3 of 13
    Brilliant idea, the only drawback is that you can't feel the controls. When I edit in FCP, I never look at my hands, just the video ahead. But, glad people are innovating in this field! They should try something gesture based.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    1) I presume one needs to install an app or plug-in on their desktop as well for this to work.

2) A customer review:
    [I]"One possibly very important issue I noticed when playing with the color correction: the values are changed in increments of 1, and each of those takes an undo step. This could take dozens of button-presses to get to the change you need, with the same number of undo steps to get back to where you started. In FCPX's interface, I can make a big change, and to undo it takes one CMD-Z. To undo the same change made with this app could take dozens or more CMD-Zs."[/I]

3) Wouldn't a BT keyboard be better at this, without looking?
  • Reply 5 of 13
    jlanddjlandd Posts: 873member

Quote:

Originally Posted by daveinpublic View Post

Brilliant idea, the only drawback is that you can't feel the controls. When I edit in FCP, I never look at my hands, just the video ahead.

Hmmm.  At least it seems reasonable that if you plug in a Wacom tablet one should be able to assign the scroll wheel to FCPX's.   It's good for using without looking at it.  And maybe then just laying the iPad atop the Wacom?  

I use my Wacoms for input and navigation in all apps, but there is the disadvantage of moving the singular stylus point instead of using different fingers.  Still, it's my answer for working with a controller and not looking at my hands without purchasing a specialized chunk of hardware.

• Reply 6 of 13
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

I was thinking that as well?

As nice as this looks, I don't think it's that practical.

• Reply 7 of 13
    jlanddjlandd Posts: 873member

Quote:

1) I presume one needs to install an app or plug-in on their desktop as well for this to work.

ng?

Probably.   V-Control, which is probably the most popular one in pro audio, has an app you need to install on the other computer.

But you know what?  Where apps like this don't really shine is when you're using them in front of your computer and another monitor, because you do get a bit of whiplash looking at this screen and then that screen so much (even though one usually doesn't need to do it as much as one does.  And this is even not talking video editing.  I can imagine the neck chiropractor bills for video editors :  )    I agree with daveinpublic that lack of tactility with these apps is an issue.

Quote:

I've had finicky experiences with bluetooth controlling audio apps.  Not horrible, just not perfect.  I have a few old USB based hardware widgets in storage with scroll wheels and assignable buttons that worked OK 15 years ago but just weren't great enough to prevent eventual abandonment, although this thread has me inspired to go find them.

• Reply 8 of 13
    Cool idea! The app costs less than the Shuttle Pro jog dial device I bought for doing the same.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Cool idea! The app costs less than the Shuttle Pro jog dial device I bought for doing the same.

The app might but the app + iPad not so much.  Plus there's no tactile response from the app.

• Reply 10 of 13
    nht wrote: »
    The app might but the app + iPad not so much.  Plus there's no tactile response from the app.

True. But the iPad as also way more functional than the Shuttle jog dial because it's also a fully functional standalone tablet. It's not like one would buy the iPad just to replace a jog dial.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    Surprised that no one has mentioned this project.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/jeffchow/ctrl-console-creativity-unleashed

It will be module based, In-App purchases, so that not only Premier, but Lightroom Soundstage.. and probably even those Apps from Apple will have controllers. Chow mention this across different videos demoing the different raw modules.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    conrailconrail Posts: 489member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post

Surprised that no one has mentioned this project.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/jeffchow/ctrl-console-creativity-unleashed

It will be module based, In-App purchases, so that not only Premier, but Lightroom Soundstage.. and probably even those Apps from Apple will have controllers. Chow mention this across different videos demoing the different raw modules.

Vaporware.  Just like everything else on Kickstarter.

• Reply 13 of 13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Conrail View Post

Vaporware.  Just like everything else on Kickstarter.

I assure you, the year and a half I've put into the project is not vaporware. 

See for yourself in this sneak peak of the state of the app (from a few weeks ago): image

Quote:

Originally Posted by daveinpublic View Post

Brilliant idea, the only drawback is that you can't feel the controls. When I edit in FCP, I never look at my hands, just the video ahead. But, glad people are innovating in this field! They should try something gesture based.

Re: Gestures We're doing something special. Not just buttons and not just gestures, but both! I can cut a whole sequence without ever having to take my eyes off my footage by swiping anywhere on the iPad using our gesture system. It's pretty magical!

Jeff

creator of CTRL+Console