The "StartUp Items" pane in Preferences disappeared - assistance?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
After installing the latest version of Safari and de-Metallifying it with Unsanity's freeware utility, several icons in the Dock were different from what they ought to be (for instance, Pathfinder had Sherlock's icon). I therefore ran Disk Utilities' Repair Privileges, and afterwards fsck -y in Single User mode.

At that time I noticed that the Preference Pane for Start-up Items was missing in System Preferences. I have searched through the harddisk but not found the PreferencePanes folder or the StartupItems folder in the Library folder in my engpjp folder (although the folders ARE in the System's Library folder). On startup, the chosen programs still load automatically which indicates that the user's StartupItems folder MUST be somewhere in the system. On the other hand, the Preference Pane for Startup Items may well have been erased somehow or other, and only its Preferences still present.

How do I reinstall this one Preference Pane - and where? (I haven't found any of the system's Preference Panes - the system's PreferencePanes folder only contains those extra panes I have installed myself)

Where would the user StartupItems folder have disappeared to? How do I get it back?

I hope for assistance from users better qualified in the ways of *nix than I... please!

engpjp

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    engpjpengpjp Posts: 124member
    Last night I tried to run the combo 10.2.3 updater, hoping against hope that it would put in the missing System Preference panes and reveal the hidden? startup items folder. Alas, no.

Could somebody please help me out?
  • Reply 2 of 4
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    delete everything in ~/Library/Caches/ .
  • Reply 3 of 4
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    Maybe you are mixing names here? It appears the pane you want is correctly termed 'Login Items'.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    ah common now, der Kopf, you must be kidding. I believe that my solution's gonna work. Who cares if he mixes the names anyways...