Apple's iOS 6.1 reportedly causing 3G and battery issues for some iPhone users

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
A little over two weeks after Apple released iOS 6.1, a number of iPhone users are reporting battery drain and overheating issues possibly related to the newest update, while Vodafone UK sent out a warning telling iPhone 4S owners not to upgrade to the latest OS version as it has been found to cause 3G performance.

iOS 6.1

While the extent of the 3G problems Vodafone reported is unknown, multiple Apple Support Community threads exist regarding battery drain and overheating issues, which appear to be affecting a number of iPhone models.

The Support Community forum posts, as noted by The Next Web, reveal a multitude of iPhone owners are experiencing battery drain and overheating problems after updating to iOS 6.1. Reports are conflicting, however, as one iPhone 5 owner saw a drain of 35 percent overnight, while an iPhone 3GS user said Apple's latest update actually boosted battery life.

In Vodafone's warning, the British carrier noted that iOS 6.1 is causing intermittent problems with iPhone 4S models, causing the handset to experience 3G-related issues with making calls, sending texts and accessing the company's data network. The telecom said Apple is working on a fix, but failed to elaborate further on the matter.

From Vodafone's release regarding iOS 6.1:
Hi everyone,

We?re aware of an issue caused by Apple iPhone 4s handsets that have been upgraded to iOS 6.1 which impacts performance on 3G.

Some customers may occasionally experience difficulty in connecting to the network to make or receive calls or texts or to connect to the Internet. Apple is working on a solution to their software issue. These connection problems are intermittent.

While Apple?s investigations continue, we would recommend that anyone who has not yet installed iOS 6.1 on their iPhone 4s should delay doing so until Apple has confirmed that their problem has been fixed.
Apple released iOS 6.1 on Jan. 28, bringing a host of bug fixes and feature enhancements like added LTE support to its mobile operating system.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 61
    Count me in the battery drain category... I schlepp around a portable battery to recharge the phone during the day. I have seen as much as 10% drop in less than 30 mins... You'd think by now Apple would have a handle on these battery issues. Yes, yes, I know that no phone is perfect, yada, yada, yada, but damn...
  • Reply 2 of 61
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    I know my 5 has had crappy battery life from day one compared to my 4. Neither update has improved battery life. I am a light user with very little surfing and mostly email and some puzzle games.
  • Reply 3 of 61
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Geez, not again. Please. Oh we'll, you can always buy one of them juice packs!
  • Reply 4 of 61

It's not the phone,  it's the OS. Yes other phones have battery issues too, but that's usually because the OS wasn't integrated to the hardware in the 1st place. Apple shouldn't have this problem, so it could only be the software's fault.

• Reply 5 of 61

Using a 4S with iOS 6.1 here in the U.S. No battery drain, no overheating, and no 3G problems (I have 4G with AT&T).

• Reply 6 of 61

I wonder what's more likely: every single version of the software destroying people's battery life or people not knowing how to treat their batteries and what features use what power.

Originally Posted by drobforever View Post

Apple shouldn't have this problem, so it could only be the software's fault.

Or not their fault at all.

• Reply 7 of 61

Have the afflicted tried the IT Crowd solution: Have you tried turning it off and on again?

A couple of times, over years and different iPhones, I came across similar behavior which power cycling fixed. Could have been any random combination of OS behavior and apps, but nothing frequent or predictable.

• Reply 8 of 61
    I can't remember an OS update or an iPhone update in which battery was not an issue.
    My battery life is better with iOS 6.1 and better than I got with the 4. Only difference might be that I do not leave LTE on- I use when speed is really needed.
  • Reply 9 of 61

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I wonder what's more likely: every single version of the software destroying people's battery life or people not knowing how to treat their batteries and what features use what power.

Even with only a few models there's no way Apple can test every possible edge case of user configuration/carrier/local network condition/running apps etc. I don't believe that Apple's software is anymore buggy than anyone else's, but when you're operating on the order of hundreds of millions of users, even a problem affecting a hundredth of a percent of users still impacts tens of thousands of people, which with the internet, only a few need to be vocal for it to be a big news story.

• Reply 10 of 61

Quote:

Are they holding it wrong?

• Reply 11 of 61

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

...while Vodafone UK sent out a warning telling iPhone 4S owners not to upgrade to the latest OS version as it has been found to cause 3G performance.

Exactly what is "3G performance"?

Is that anything like AI can't afford taking a couple minutes to proofread their copy so it has been found to have grammar? /s

• Reply 12 of 61
    Wow, I've had the exact opposite experience. My battery life appears to be substantially improved with 6.1 over 6.0.1 on my iPhone 5. I had not installed 6.0.2 because I read the issues with battery life. Was nervous about moving to 6.1 but actually battery life was the biggest improvement I saw.

I had installed 6.1 through iTunes as a full restore - no restoration from backup - and set up the phone as "new". Otherwise, I use WiFi but do not use Bluetooth. After similar use, from 100% in the morning, I end the day around 75%. Before 6.1, I would end at around 55%.
  • Reply 13 of 61
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member

Quote:

Sure that could be it.

In my case the only thing that changed was the phone.  My apps stayed the same and the way I use them stayed the same.

I will also point out that in order for the guy to activate my phone he had to put it on a charger for 10 minutes before it would boot up.  So it is possible that my battery has an issue - or not.  Phone was purchased new in late December.

The only way to really know would be for us to have an app that reports current draw on every running app.  Apple hasn't given us that yet.

• Reply 14 of 61
    Every time you have somebody claiming battery issues with each IOS release. I really think people need to get a life and find real things to complain about. You have a pocket computer in your hand for crying out loud!
  • Reply 15 of 61

Originally Posted by cycomiko View Post

Are they holding it wrong?

Well, they'd be charging it wrong, which is completely possible to do.

• Reply 16 of 61

Whenever I do an iOS upgrade I always perform a reset of my network settings.

I did this when I upgraded the Girlfriends 4S ... and it's working fine with 3G and her battery has only dropped 11% in 15hr of light use

I don't know what the circumstances experienced by the people with issues are, but on prior occasions I always found that when I reset the network settings my battery drop problems disappeared (almost like the settings are slightly incompatible, or get corrupted)

As for Vodafone 3G issues .. well .. it's Vodafone .. enough said

• Reply 17 of 61

Quote:

Originally Posted by drobforever View Post

It's not the phone,  it's the OS. Yes other phones have battery issues too, but that's usually because the OS wasn't integrated to the hardware in the 1st place. Apple shouldn't have this problem, so it could only be the software's fault.

The problem is the battery size. The battery of the iPhone is 3x smaller than the battery of a galaxy note 2. Not only that, the iphone's screen is brighter and the phone itself is 2 to 3 times faster/more powerful than the note2.

No matter how much optimazed it is, Apple should adress this. However, it's amazing that the iphone has better battery than the note 2 when performing intensive tasks.

1000 vs 3000.

• Reply 18 of 61
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member

Wonder if we are seeing a collation between usage of hardware power (cell hardware such as 4GLTE) to battery technology vs thinness?  The thinner the battery the less capacity it has for its size (footprint) in the phone.

• Reply 19 of 61
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    I did notice my 1 week old iPhone 5 after the update running a bit warm yesterday. I had 3G turned off but noticed it was showing 3G as on in the signal indicator at top. I went into settings to check, and the control panel switch said off. I switched on then off again and the top signal indicator switched to Edge. My battery drained by 50% in only 3 hours.
  • Reply 20 of 61

Quote:

Originally Posted by WelshDog View Post

I know my 5 has had crappy battery life from day one compared to my 4. Neither update has improved battery life. I am a light user with very little surfing and mostly email and some puzzle games.

The 4s and 5 have "crappier" battery life than the 4 because the formers are more powerful than the latter, thus consume more battery. iPhone 4s and 5 have much much much better battery compared to other high-end Android devices.