Apple experimenting with wristwatch-like devices made of curved glass

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Apple is experimenting with wristwatch-like devices made of curved glass in its research and development labs, the New York Times said Sunday in a report that raises more questions than it answers.

iWatch
An artist's rendition of a curved glass iOS-based watch | Source: Yrving Torrealba
In its headquarters in Cupertino, Calif., Apple is experimenting with wristwatch-like devices made of curved glass, according to people familiar with the company?s explorations, who spoke on the condition that they not be named because they are not allowed to publicly discuss unreleased products.
Two people familiar with the project reportedly told the Times's Nick Bilton that the the watch would operate Apple?s iOS platform and stand apart from competitors based on the company?s understanding of how such glass can curve around the human body.

However, the report goes on to question whether the device would employ Siri, tie into Maps, serve as a wireless payment device, and so forth. At the same time, it also offers a recap on some of Apple's moves over the years have placed it in a prime position to lead a charge for wearable computing devices if it chooses to execute any such R&D projects.

Rumors of an Apple-produced smartwatch have surfaced time and again over the last few years, but the past three months have seen speculation on the topic increasing. Last December saw reports that Apple was working with Intel in order to produce an iOS-powered smartwatch.

"The iWatch will fill a gaping hole in the Apple ecosystem. It will facilitate and coordinate not only the activities of all the other computers and devices we use, but a wide array of devices to come."
?Bruce Tognazzini

More recently, Bruce Tognazzini ? creator of Apple's Human Interface Guidelines ? predicted on his blog that Apple would release an iWatch. "The iWatch", Tognazzini said, "will fill a gaping hole in the Apple ecosystem... [facilitating and coordinating] not only the activities of all the other computers and devices we use, but a wide array of devices to come."

Tognazzini gave a caveat to his prediction, saying that it was not based on insider information but "a solid understanding of Apple, its products, the problem, and the opportunity."

The iWatch, he predicted, would leverage Apple's existing patents on curved glass to create a device much like the one described in the Times piece. Tognazzini believes the device could be a payment medium, a means of locating other iOS devices, and the herald of a new, Morse code-like method of discreet communication.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 127
    Honest question, do people still wear watches? Other than as a fashion statement, what use are they? I haven't worn a watch in maybe 15 years since I started permanently carrying a cell phone with me.
  • Reply 2 of 127

Well it ain'ta Rolex with gold and diamonds... more close to those geeky pocket protector doodads. 

• Reply 3 of 127

I think this is going to happen, and it's going to be one of the "next big things" for Apple.

I can see the smart watch business replacing iPods for them in the near term.

Siri, GPS, and mobile payment together could make this an interesting device.

• Reply 4 of 127

Quote:

Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

Honest question, do people still wear watches? Other than as a fashion statement, what use are they? I haven't worn a watch in maybe 15 years since I started permanently carrying a cell phone with me.

I think most people buy Apple products as a fashion statement now anyway?

• Reply 5 of 127

Forget this experimental watch, just give us a firmware upgrade for the iPod Nano 6-gen to turn it into a fully functional smart watch. I have two that I love to wear on a regular basis, one with a TikTok band and another with Nato strap.

• Reply 6 of 127
    Honest answer, I do wear a watch. Because a watch is way more practical than a cellphone. A quick glance at your wrist gives you the time much faster than digging your phone out of your bag/pocket/@$$/whatever.
  • Reply 7 of 127

Damn it! I'm not a big fan of wristwatches....but it Apple makes one, I will probably end-up getting one! Damn it! :)

Knowing Apple it will be thinner with more features than anything we've seen to date. I'm thinking GPS, Pedometer, Nike +(Running), heart rate monitor, etc, etc.

I would be able to go on a run, have the info and not have to carry my iPhone! :)

...or maybe even swim my laps with it! Now that would be super cool! :)

• Reply 8 of 127

I agree. I own 3 watches, one of which is very nice...rarely ever wear them. For the same reason I hope an Apple wallet comes very soon; the less I have to carry or have on me, the happier I am.

I was briefly interested in the Pebble but I just couldn't pull the trigger. No need when I have an iPhone 5 in my pocket.
  • Reply 9 of 127

No offense to anyone...but I think the Nano on the wrist looks kind of goofy and not for me! :)

I also think it's going to be a lot thinner and more elegant the the photo above. Too clunky looking for Apple

• Reply 10 of 127
    Now this is a great use for curved glass.
  • Reply 11 of 127

When I read comments like yours, I simply cringe. Watch makers are having a huge year, in fact many of their shares are hitting new historic highs. The global watch market is close to a $50 billion market. For comparison, movie ticket sales in the US were $10 billion in 2012. If Apple can pull off a waterproof watch, I might be interested. 

• Reply 12 of 127

Quote:

Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Damn it! I'm not a big fan of wristwatches....but it Apple makes one, I will probably end-up getting one! Damn it! :)

Knowing Apple it will be thinner with more features than anything we've seen to date. I'm thinking GPS, Pedometer, Nike +(Running), heart rate monitor, etc, etc.

I would be able to go on a run, have the info and not have to carry my iPhone! :)

...or maybe even swim my laps with it! Now that would be super cool! :)

I would hope can figure out a way for a perspective watch to be water proof and still slim and sleek.

• Reply 13 of 127
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Quote:

Yes, people still wear watches.  They kind of make you act like a normal person.  Some use it as a fashion statement as people in the professional world just come off a little more responsible since they actually know how to properly dress.  I don't have to pull my cell phone out of my pocket to see what time it is.

I think this would make a great addition.  I see more and more people wearing those Nike wristbands.  I don't know if I would buy one, but I would certainly consider it if it offers the right features that would make it useable.  I would be open to it and I've been wondering what they would come out with.

I guess Dick Tracy phone watches are actually going to become more of a reality.  Whether or not the Maxwell Smart shoe phone is going to make it, probably not.  Just a little too weird.

I'm still waiting for the Star Trek phasers.  I think I might have to wait a little longer.  Set your phasers to stun.

• Reply 14 of 127

Isn't it amazing how these "reports" come right after an ex-employee made public his own speculations?

iWatch : http://asktog.com/atc/apple-iwatch/

Any idiot that knows copy and paste can be an analyst

• Reply 15 of 127
    This could be an option to extend the iPod line up by one more iPod or a newer iPod shuffle.

Another option as iPhone kit / watch

Or plain simple entering the watch market on digital high end. I have feeling watch market is a large pond. But not sure if apple will want it to run like an iPad market or Apple TV market.
  • Reply 16 of 127
    solipsismx wrote: »
    Now this is a great use for curved glass.

How well do curved glass watches do compared to flat and thin glass, I wonder.
  • Reply 17 of 127
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,324moderator
    a report that raises more questions than it answers... according to people familiar with... unnamed sources

This looks familiar but let's dig deeper into the mud.

"Gene Munster, an analyst at Piper Jaffray, said in a report last month. “These devices are likely to be cheaper than an iPhone and could ultimately be Apple’s best answer to addressing emerging markets.”"

There we go. Wait, that's not mud! It's...

????????

What about shoes with computers that have built-in navigation and they force you to go in the right direction? Life threatening but the emerging market needs shoes.
  • Reply 18 of 127

Quote:

I have no doubt it would do more than standard watch type functions. I would expect it to have bluetooth so that you can see notifications from your iPhone or iPad for example.

And I guarantee it is coming. Otherwise Apple wouldn't have bothered to change the form factor of the iPod Nano.

-kpluck

• Reply 19 of 127

Might work if Apple gets the fashion right.  I personally do not like watches, as I'm always hitting them against things and breaking them.  If I need to know the time, I just glance at a clock on the wall or on a computer screen or on my iPhone.  In my kitchen there are 5 clocks visible at all times.

Mainly I use watches to mark guys as vapid arseholes.  I see some businessman with a big gaudy expensive watch, I know not to trust him. 

• Reply 20 of 127
    Please. This is such a joke and a fabricated rumor.

Apple is NOT experimenting with watches.

Nobody wears watches anymore, thanks to the iPhone. This is complete hogwash.

If you guys believe this rumor, then I've got a bridge in Brooklyn to sell you! Send me a private message to buy a piece of the bridge for yourself!