Apple to expanded Israeli operations with Ra'anana facility

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple will reportedly be bolstering its presence in Israel with a new development center in the Ra'anana Industrial zone, with the facility said to be staffed by former employees of Texas Instruments.

iMacs
Apple is expected to open an R&D center in Ra'anana, Israel. | Source: (Google Maps

The Ra'anana facility will be Apple's third in Israel, opening alongside a Haifa development center launched last year and the pre-existing Herzliya facilities of flash memory developer Anobit that Apple acquired roughly a year ago, reports Israeli business news site Globes.

Between 100 and 150 former employees of Texas Instruments will staff the development center. Apple brought on those employees late in 2012, according to the report, after Texas Instruments dismissed them as part of a wider culling of 1,700 workers worldwide.

While the former TI employees are said to have worked largely on short-range communication technologies such as Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, and NFC, the report suggests that Apple will take the new development center in a different stategic direction.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 60

Interesting. Never thought of Israel as a capital of technological advances. 

• Reply 2 of 60
    joshajosha Posts: 901member

Careful Apple.

You are setting up in a several thousand year old WAR Zone!

• Reply 3 of 60
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member

Quote:

Originally Posted by xtacee1990 View Post

Maybe in concrete buildings.

• Reply 4 of 60

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoshA View Post

Careful Apple.

You are setting up in a several thousand year old WAR Zone!

Yeah, this seems like a REALLY weird and potentially costly decision.

• Reply 5 of 60
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    Cool. Wireless Thunderbolt?
  • Reply 6 of 60
    Israel has had a high tech industry for years. Intel has one of their largest operations in Israel.
  • Reply 7 of 60

Originally Posted by weekilter View Post

Intel has one of their largest operations in Israel.

Indeed. If I remember correctly, Israel is where the codenames Nehalem and Westmere were created. Probably wrong, though.

• Reply 8 of 60

Quote:

Originally Posted by xtacee1990 View Post

Are you kidding me!? Israel is one of the world's most impressive high-tech hotbeds. After Silicon Valley and Route 128, I am guessing Israel is pretty much where the action is, anywhere in the world.

Every major tech firm has a solid presence there, not really for the market (given the very small population), but for the talent and the R&D.

Just search using terms such as, say, "Israel and high-tech" or "Israel and IT" and take it from there. You'd be  very surprised.

• Reply 9 of 60
    wardcwardc Posts: 150member

Perhaps Apple is getting ready for the Appleocalyse by moving their Mac Pro tanks into position...remember that PowerMac G4 commercial? Bullet-proof and prohibited for sale to certain countries like Libya and Iran? Hmmm...

• Reply 10 of 60
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

Wild guess here... the apostrophe in Ra'anana represents either an "n" or "a" ;)

• Reply 11 of 60

Israel, not the US, invented the Iron Dome - world's most advanced anti-missile system. Israel might be the most advanced country in the world technologically on a per-capita basis.

• Reply 12 of 60
    hftshfts Posts: 386member
    When I first read this article "expanding operations", my first thought was, those poor people from Palestine.
    I wish Apple would not invest in evil countries.
  • Reply 13 of 60
    globalpix wrote: »
    Israel, not the US, invented the Iron Dome - world's most advanced anti-missile system. Israel might be the most advanced country in the world technologically on a per-capita basis.

And so what?
    So they can go on killing innocent people while protecting themselves with impunity.
  • Reply 14 of 60
    Are you kidding me!? Israel is one of the world's most impressive high-tech hotbeds. After Silicon Valley and Route 128, I am guessing Israel is pretty much where the action is, anywhere in the world.

Every major tech firm has a solid presence there, not really for the market (given the very small population), but for the talent and the R&D.

Just search using terms such as, say, "Israel and high-tech" or "Israel and IT" and take it from there. You'd be  very surprised.
    Where is your humanity?
    Hang on I know you, forget what I just asked for.
  • Reply 15 of 60
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Quote:

Originally Posted by hfts View Post

And so what?

So they can go on killing innocent people while protecting themselves with impunity.

Who gives a crap about that off topic garbage? Most of them deserved to die anyway, so screw them. They are one step below Fandroids on my shit list. Go visit a politics forum, instead of cluttering this topic with hilarious nonsense.

What interests me and what is important is if my next iPad is going to benefit from Apple's dealings in Israel, and all evidence posts to yes, it will. Apple already bought out that Israeli firm which provides flash memory controllers I believe, and I wouldn't be surprised if plenty of other innovations will also come in the future. Israel has been a center for hi tech for a while now, so it's not exactly surprising that Apple would be expanding their operations there.

• Reply 16 of 60

"What interests me and what is important is if my next iPad is going to benefit from Apple's dealings in Israel" - And you say you're not a Fandroid? Please, you sound like a loser, and clearly have no soul.

The only reason Israel can be such a tech powerhouse is because of all the money we give them in addition to the fact that they're already an incredibly wealthy country. They don't even have to touch their money to "defend" themselves.

I'm not cool with Apple's Zionist love. Depending on the Israeli companies Apple works with and/or purchases, and their involvement in illegal settlements or further funding settlements... this could be a nail in the coffin for me purchasing anything further Apple gear.

• Reply 17 of 60
    chiachia Posts: 713member

Quote:

Originally Posted by hfts View Post

I wish Apple would not invest in evil countries.

Just which saintly good country do you come from that you can judge others?

Rhetorical question, I've figured it out from your other posts on Appleinsider.

You're from that large country that hunted its indigenous people right into the middle of the twentieth century, mistreats them and mistreats those seeking asylum.

The Forgotten People of Oz

It seems your country isn't all that saintly after all, plenty of trouble in your own backyard.

Maybe Apple pull out of your evil country?

It'll make for less work by your pricing gouging House Committee enquiry.

• Reply 18 of 60

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Who gives a crap about that off topic garbage? Most of them deserved to die anyway, so screw them. They are one step below Fandroids on my shit list. Go visit a politics forum, instead of cluttering this topic with hilarious nonsense.

What interests me and what is important is if my next iPad is going to benefit from Apple's dealings in Israel, and all evidence posts to yes, it will. Apple already bought out that Israeli firm which provides flash memory controllers I believe, and I wouldn't be surprised if plenty of other innovations will also come in the future. Israel has been a center for hi tech for a while now, so it's not exactly surprising that Apple would be expanding their operations there.

My what an intellectual.

I guess you hit your kids too.

• Reply 19 of 60

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiA View Post

Just which saintly good country do you come from that you can judge others?

Rhetorical question, I've figured it out from your other posts on Appleinsider.

You're from that large country that hunted its indigenous people right into the middle of the twentieth century, mistreats them and mistreats those seeking asylum.

The Forgotten People of Oz

It seems your country isn't all that saintly after all, plenty of trouble in your own backyard.

Maybe Apple pull out of your evil country?

It'll make for less work by your pricing gouging House Committee enquiry.

Actually I agree with your comments.

That still doesn't mean Apple is right.

And by the way Apple only sells to Australia, via Apple Stores and its distribution network. So I think you need to do some research first before posting.

• Reply 20 of 60

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Funny how you pollute all threads with your nonsense.

May I ask what educational level you attained ?  I don't think it was very high based on your pathetic arguments and you only resort to insults.

I think the "Fandroids" (the term you use) are most probably nicer than you.

Can't you be a little bit original, even on just one ocassion, even if its accidental.