?...obligatory guest user in users and groups...in 10.7.5 upgrade?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Why did apple add an obligatory guest user in users and groups...in 10.7.5 upgrade? Now, on start up, I have to look at two icons, choose one, wait and then click to input password before I can log in.

Before as an only user, it was quick. I only had to type in my password because the cursor was already in place…bingo I was in!

I don’t appreciate having extra steps and preferences forced on me.

This is clumsy, and intrusive. It’s not worthy of apple!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5

No. Just turn it off.

Stops showing up on the login screen, which isn't a big deal in the first place, since you don't have to waste any time to get to it. Use the keyboard to select usernames instead of the mouse!

I leave it on so that if someone's ever stupid enough to steal my Mac Pro (good luck), they can log on, it can connect to Wi-Fi, and the security software I have installed on it can home in on its location. Cops within the hour.

• Reply 2 of 5

Not in Lion 10.7.5.... even if the guest user is turned off in Users & Groups by me, the administrator, the guest icon continues to show up at log in. If you choose to log in as "guest user" you are presented with a dialog box that says

"This computer will restart to a secure Safari-only system for the Guest User."

It then goes through a restart, which is slow, and the "guest" has access to Safari. Guest User can then get into their email accounts and open any emails. I tried to download an attachment but couldn't...thankfully!

When the guest leaves, his options are to shut down or restart, not log off, which is another time consuming process before the owner of the computer can log in.

To add this unnecessary, unavoidable interface takes away from the fluidity that was available to me when I purchased this Mac.

It's clumsy and it's garbage. Mac is loosing its focus. 

• Reply 3 of 5

Quote:

Originally Posted by richeh View Post

Why did apple add an obligatory guest user in users and groups...in 10.7.5 upgrade? Now, on start up, I have to look at two icons, choose one, wait and then click to input password before I can log in.

Before as an only user, it was quick. I only had to type in my password because the cursor was already in place…bingo I was in!

I don’t appreciate having extra steps and preferences forced on me.

This is clumsy, and intrusive. It’s not worthy of apple!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

No. Just turn it off.

Stops showing up on the login screen, which isn't a big deal in the first place, since you don't have to waste any time to get to it. Use the keyboard to select usernames instead of the mouse!

I leave it on so that if someone's ever stupid enough to steal my Mac Pro (good luck), they can log on, it can connect to Wi-Fi, and the security software I have installed on it can home in on its location. Cops within the hour.

Not in Lion 10.7.5.... even if the guest user is turned off in Users & Groups by me, the administrator, the guest icon continues to show up at log in. If you choose to log in as "guest user" you are presented with a dialog box that says

"This computer will restart to a secure Safari-only system for the Guest User."

It then goes through a restart, which is slow, and the "guest" has access to Safari. Guest User can then get into their email accounts and open any emails. I tried to download an attachment but couldn't...thankfully!

When the guest leaves his options are to shut down or restart, not log off, which is another time consuming process before the owner of the computer can log in.

To add this unnecessary, unavoidable interface takes away from the fluidity that was available to me when I purchased this Mac.

• Reply 4 of 5

Originally Posted by richeh View Post

Okay, enough of that nonsense, and of the huge font. 

You're right; it's different in 10.7.5. Haven't used Lion in a while, sorry. Here's how to remove it. 

System Preferences/Security & Privacy/Privacy/Advanced.

• Reply 5 of 5

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Okay, enough of that nonsense, and of the huge font. 

You're right; it's different in 10.7.5. Haven't used Lion in a while, sorry. Here's how to remove it. 

System Preferences/Security & Privacy/Privacy/Advanced.

That was the solution! I had called Mac about it and the senior phone tech told me it was just part of the system and didn't know how to get around it. I appreciate your help and, I'll try to lay off big fonts. Withdrawal will be hard!...Thanks