Microsoft recommends blocking iOS 6.1 users due to Exchange Server issue

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
In a post to its support webpage on Tuesday, Microsoft addressed a mailbox syncing issue some users are seeing with Exchange Server 2010, suggesting that administrators block or throttle devices running iOS 6.1 until the problem is fixed.

Exchange

According to the online document, the issue arises when Exchange clients attempt to sync a device running Apple's latest iOS 6.1 mobile operating system with Microsoft Exchange Server 2010, causing excessive log growth that affects the server's performance. Microsoft notes that it is currently working with Apple to fix the problem.

Users of the latest Office 365 Online Exchange were also affected, and began receiving error messages reading "Cannot Get Mail" and "The connection to the server failed" when attempting to access the service from an iOS 6.1-based device.

As a temporary workaround, Microsoft suggests admins configure Exchange Server to refuse Calendar item updates, remove and recreate the device partnership, and throttle or block iOS 6.1 device users completely.

The apparent bug could prove to be troublesome for Apple as the company makes a push into enterprise, a market where Exchange is a major palyer. Recent reports point to strong growth for Apple's iOS devices in corporate and government initiatives, a sector previously dominated by BlackBerry.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    The apparent bug could prove to be troublesome for Apple as the company makes a push into enterprise, a market where Exchange is a major palyer. Recent reports point to <a href="http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/01/07/apples-97-inch-ipad-to-get-boost-from-increased-enterprise-tablet-adoption-in-2013">strong growth</a> for Apple's iOS devices in corporate and government initiatives, a sector previously dominated by BlackBerry.

Hmmm. The article states "causing excessive log growth that affects the server's performance."

Now, it's hard to imagine how a client bug would cause excessive log growth OR server performance. Clearly, this is an Exchange bug.

So it's bad for Apple that Microsoft has a bug in their server hardware. Amazing.
  • Reply 2 of 25

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Hmmm. The article states "causing excessive log growth that affects the server's performance."

Now, it's hard to imagine how a client bug would cause excessive log growth OR server performance. Clearly, this is an Exchange bug.

So it's bad for Apple that Microsoft has a bug in their server hardware. Amazing.

Right! I think it's really lame of Apple, that they are incapable to fix Mcrosofts bugs.

• Reply 3 of 25
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,727member

Quote:

It could be a poorly behaved client which keeps reconnecting to the server excessively.  Assuming each connection is logged, then that would cause log file growth and potentially make it slower and slower to access the log file.

Then again, MS should have something in place to throttle client accesses on the server side.  Otherwise it's susceptible to DoS attacks. (EDIT: Looks like they do, as this is one of the workarounds to the problem).

Anyways all hypotheticals at this point...

• Reply 4 of 25
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member

Quote:

I don't see why it's impossible. The server and client work together. If the client does something repeatedly/endlessly (just as an example), the server might log that, and the constant activity might affect performance.

And this didn't happen in 6.0.

Seems like MS is just truthfully stating a workaround that may be useful. Why should MS conceal this fact that could be invaluable to some Exchange admins?

We would hope that most IT departments would never put their users on any new OS update (like iOS 6.1) soon after release. But many personal iPhones are used, and out of the IT department's control.

• Reply 5 of 25
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

I posted this a couple of days ago, courtesy of 9to5:

"AOL’s corporate Enterprise Messaging Operations team has been monitoring a rapidly increasing and unusually large volume of traffic across our enterprise mail environment originating from iOS devices running the new iOS 6.1 update. We have researched this problem and appears to be connected to a recently identified issue that seems to cause these iOS devices to continuously loop while synchronizing a recurring calendar meeting invitation. Similar problems have been reported by a number of sources to several media outlets across the Web in the past few days. While our team continues to work productively and rapidly with Apple and Microsoft to resolve the issue, it has been necessary to temporarily disable the ability to accept or manage calendar meetings using mobile devices to ensure that we maintain the integrity of our corporate enterprise messaging platform. Since this change is limited to managing calendar invitations, by disabling them temporarily we allow our employees to continue to experience the excellent productivity these devices bring to our enterprise until this issue is resolved."

• Reply 6 of 25

You guys saying this is a MS problem and not an Apple problem need to stop. This is a client side problem in iOS 6.1. I'm sure it will be fixed.

On the bright side (sarc) If you are interested in picking up some AAPL shares, this should be good for another $10 off the price tomorrow. :-/

• Reply 7 of 25

So MSFT Exchange Server version 2010 runs fine with iOS 4, 5, and 6... but with the Apple iOS 6.1 update issues arise... and Microsoft sucks.

How many of you guys actually WORK for a company with corporate email?  :D

• Reply 8 of 25
    joshajosha Posts: 901member

Originally Posted by isaidso View Post

You guys saying this is a MS problem and not an Apple problem need to stop. This is a client side problem in iOS 6.1. I'm sure it will be fixed.

On the bright side (sarc) If you are interested in picking up some AAPL shares, this should be good for another $10 off the price tomorrow. :-/

If a client can bog down a server so badly, it indicates a serious server weakness.

DOS hackers must be listening to this one.

So Apple has been asked by MS to help!    I'm sure Apple can give MS good advise on a fix.

• Reply 9 of 25
    I've been having a semi-related problem where my Outlook 2011 has been experiencing frequent hanging and crashes due to some sort of "known conflict" with our corporate Exchange servers. My IT guys recommended I switch over to Apple Mail and Calendar until the situation can be resolved. Obviously something has happened not only with iOS 6.1 but between Outlook 2011 and Exchange as well. I just hope whatever the issue may be it is rectified quickly.
  • Reply 10 of 25
    nagromme wrote: »
    I don't see why it's impossible. The server and client work together. If the client does something repeatedly/endlessly (just as an example), the server might log that, and the constant activity might affect performance.

And this didn't happen in 6.0.

Seems like MS is just truthfully stating a workaround that may be useful. Why should MS conceal this fact that could be invaluable to some Exchange admins?

We would hope that most IT departments would never put their users on any new OS update (like iOS 6.1) soon after release. But many personal iPhones are used, and out of the IT department's control.
    I didn't even know you could prevent users from updating their OS. On my corporate phone I just updated to 6.1 on my own as soon I saw it had been released.
  • Reply 11 of 25
    So does 6.1.1 address this problem?
  • Reply 12 of 25
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,727member

You guys saying this is a MS problem and not an Apple problem need to stop.

This is a client side problem in iOS 6.1. I'm sure it will be fixed.

One person said that, then two people refuted it with logical arguments.

Looks like it's an iOS problem.  However, it's stupid that you can't just blanket set a minimum reconnect interval for all clients on the MS Exchange Server rather than having to create a custom throttling policy just for iOS 6.1 clients.  Because, if someone wants to DoS your server, they can just keep changing the ID of their client and bypass any policy you put in place.

• Reply 13 of 25
    josha wrote: »
    If a client can bog down a server so badly, it indicates a serious server weakness.

That's the point I'm making - and which apparently some people didn't get.

Of course it's possible that there could be a problem with iOS 6.1. But there's no way it should bring a server to its knees.
  • Reply 14 of 25

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoshA View Post

Quote:

You guys saying this is a MS problem and not an Apple problem need to stop. You are just giving fuel to the people who say Apple supporters are irrational brainwashed "fanbois".

This is a client side problem in iOS 6.1. I'm sure it will be fixed. Till then; shuty.

So Apple has been asked by MS to help!    I'm sure Apple can give MS good advise on a fix.

Yeah, excellent job with the spin there. That's just what Apple needs from you.

• Reply 15 of 25

Quote:

Originally Posted by auxio View Post

Quote:

You guys saying this is a MS problem and not an Apple problem need to stop. You are just giving fuel to the people who say Apple supporters are irrational brainwashed "fanbois".

This is a client side problem in iOS 6.1. I'm sure it will be fixed. Till then; shuty.

Do you even read all of the posts before you start slinging the "fanboi" crap?  One person said that, then two people refuted it with logical arguments.

Looks like it's an iOS problem.  However, it's stupid that you can't just blanket set a minimum reconnect interval for all clients on the MS Exchange Server rather than having to create a custom throttling policy just for iOS 6.1 clients.  Because, if someone wants to DoS your server, they can just keep changing the ID of their client and bypass any policy you put in place.

I don't know; did you bother to read MY post? I'm not slinging "fanboi" crap. People like you are giving ammunition to the people who DO sling "fanboi" crap.

Apple doesn't benefit (or need) people making little pussy-ass excuses for them. Apple isn't always perfect. We all know this. So stop whining that this isn't Apple's problem. This time it is. They'll fix it.

• Reply 16 of 25
    isaidso wrote: »
    I don't know; did you bother to read MY post? I'm not slinging "fanboi" crap. People like you are giving ammunition to the people who DO sling "fanboi" crap.
    Apple doesn't benefit (or need) people making little pussy-ass excuses for them. Apple isn't always perfect. We all know this. So stop whining that this isn't Apple's problem. This time it is. They'll fix it.

No, it appears to be Apple's problem that the client is hitting the server too often. It's Microsoft's problem that their server isn't robust enough to handle heavy loads.
  • Reply 17 of 25
    Throttle down the log output or does Exchange Server not offer the ability to write a bourne shell script to filter duplicate error messages?
  • Reply 18 of 25
    Well the fact is that exchange is messed up for me now that I'm on iOS 6.1.1. Apple changed something and it wasn't good.
  • Reply 19 of 25

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoshA View Post

Seriously?  So someone banging on your web server repeatedly, bringing it to its knees is your web server having a serious weakness rather than a DOS attack?

You really should learn how computers work.

• Reply 20 of 25

This must be one of the lamest comments I have ever read on this forum (and I've read a few!).  MS has plenty of bugs in their software but pinning this one on MS!? Give me a break!

I still do not understand what neurologic process occurs in ones mind that kills off all of the neurons when one becomes a "fanboy". I really don't!