getting OSX to work on corporate LAN - help needed

zozo
Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I have an NT laptop running and its (obviously) working fine. I tried copying all the parameters of the LAN settings and trascribed everything I found onto OS X (10.2.3).

I right clicked on the "Network Neighborhood" and got the TCP/IP parameters (DHCP) and the ONLY thing I cant set from what I have found is a "Workgroup" name. The "Computer Name" I have just renamed it from the "Sharing" 'control panel' in OSX, but not even sure if thats the way to go.

Actually now that I look better, in the NT DNS Tab; there is space for the "Host Name" and it has my login name. Where the fub would I put that in OSX parameters? Is the same as "DHCP Client ID" in OSX?

I also copied all the Proxy settings, etc etc. Alas, nothing.

Grrr... good thing OSX "THRIVES" on a Windows network. Damn you Steve, you come here and configure my Mac.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    just to show as an example what the futz I'm talking about...

and also

What other info does one need?
  • Reply 2 of 13
    xaqtlyxaqtly Posts: 450member
    [quote]Originally posted by ZO:

<strong>I right clicked on the "Network Neighborhood" and got the TCP/IP parameters (DHCP) and the ONLY thing I cant set from what I have found is a "Workgroup" name. The "Computer Name" I have just renamed it from the "Sharing" 'control panel' in OSX, but not even sure if thats the way to go.</strong><hr></blockquote>

ZO, I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to do. Are you trying to get the Mac to see the rest of the network and pull a DHCP address? Are you trying to get the NT laptop to see the Mac, or vice versa? Are you trying to set something up as a DNS or WINS server?

I suspect the answer to your problem may be simpler than you think, but I gotta know what you're trying to do first.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Can't remember exactly, but don't you set workgroup name with netinfo in OSX?
  • Reply 4 of 13
    I have 2 computers. a Mac and PC running NT4.

The corporate LAN has the parameters you see above in the screenshots. Its where the PC is hooked up onto. The Mac is on a separate internal network.

I took the Mac and tried plugging the Ethernet cable from the PC into the Mac and copied as many of the parameters of the PC to the Mac as possible.

Alas, it still doesnt work.

I'll see about setting the WORKGROUP name from NetInfo, but any other help would be nice.

The internal HELP doesnt have anything regarding Workgroup servers, etc
  • Reply 5 of 13
    I cant fgure out the NetInfo configuration thingy...

agh...
  • Reply 6 of 13
    help... anyone...
  • Reply 7 of 13
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    let's help ZO.. the man who told me so many things about women... ZO, can you make a list with all the info that you can get from your NT-Laptop ? It would help us, I think.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    I right clicked on the "Network Neighborhood" and got the TCP/IP parameters (DHCP) and the ONLY thing I cant set from what I have found is a "Workgroup" name. The "Computer Name" I have just renamed it from the "Sharing" 'control panel' in OSX, but not even sure if thats the way to go.

The "Sharing" name that you assign your computer is indeed what Windows clients will see when/if they logon to your computer.

Actually now that I look better, in the NT DNS Tab; there is space for the "Host Name" and it has my login name. Where the fub would I put that in OSX parameters? Is the same as "DHCP Client ID" in OSX?

Yeah. with regards to DHCP, hostname and DHCP client ID are the same.

It would help us if you told us what you were trying to do exactly. Are you trying to serve files to Windows clients? Are you trying to connect to Windows servers? Are you just trying to get a DHCP address so you can get on the Internet?

If you're just trying to get on the Internet, try this (it usually works on my network, which is 90% PC, with a Windows NT server passing out DHCP addresses).

Find the DHCP server's address, and find a private IP address that's not being used by any other computer on your network.

Open your Mac's network control panel, and manually set your IP address to the Private IP that's not being used. Set "Router"' as the DHCP server's address, Subnet mask as 255.255.255.0, and don't forget to fill in a DNS address. Any DNS server will work, for example, 207.217.77.82 is earthlink's.

Hopefully this will get you onto the internet. For some reason, a lot of DHCP servers don't like to hand out IPs to a computer they haven't seen before...maybe that's your problem?
  • Reply 9 of 13
    jbljbl Posts: 555member
    I think I had the same problem as you (sure sounds that way). I spent a couple hours trying to figure out what was wrong. Then I went out and bought a copy of DAVE (it only cost $50 because I used it before Jaguar). I had it working in 10 minutes (including the download time).

Anyway, I am interested in hearing how to do this without DAVE, but if you or your company value your time, it may be easier just to buy DAVE.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Actually, I was wrong. To change the Windows Workgroup Name, you use the Directory Access utility.<a href="http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=107137"; target="_blank">Mac OS X 10.2: How to Change the Windows File Sharing Workgroup</a>
  • Reply 11 of 13
    Tulkas, thanks a ton.

So far so good on a different network. I previously couldnt get seen from others, now will see if that works.

Does one know if the Directory Access is also Location Specific or I have to reset that? IE If I make a new Location 1 and set the Directory to WORKGROUP and then have a different Location to Directory DEVELOPERS, will it keep the preference also in each Location?
  • Reply 12 of 13
    [quote]Originally posted by Gizzmonic:

It would help us if you told us what you were trying to do exactly. Are you trying to serve files to Windows clients? Are you trying to connect to Windows servers? Are you just trying to get a DHCP address so you can get on the Internet?

If you're just trying to get on the Internet, try this (it usually works on my network, which is 90% PC, with a Windows NT server passing out DHCP addresses).

Find the DHCP server's address, and find a private IP address that's not being used by any other computer on your network.

Open your Mac's network control panel, and manually set your IP address to the Private IP that's not being used. Set "Router"' as the DHCP server's address, Subnet mask as 255.255.255.0, and don't forget to fill in a DNS address. Any DNS server will work, for example, 207.217.77.82 is earthlink's.

Hopefully this will get you onto the internet. For some reason, a lot of DHCP servers don't like to hand out IPs to a computer they haven't seen before...maybe that's your problem?[/QB]<hr></blockquote>

Thanks to you too. All I'm trying to do is be qble to surf the web from the Corporqt LAN so I can also have access to the Intranet. Also, I cant even browse normally.

I'll try your suggestions this evening and give feedback.

Ciao!
  • Reply 13 of 13
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    The workgroup setting shouldn't matter for TCP/IP access unless you're actually talking about a domain, where your computer gets networking information from a Windows NT domain controller.

As to location-based workgroups, I believe you'll need <a href="http://homepage.mac.com/locationmanager/"; target="_blank">http://homepage.mac.com/locationmanager/</a>; for that.

A workgroup is a logical set of computers for SMB / CIFS access. Changing a workgroup will just move the computer to another set, but *should* not affect networking connections to computers in other workgroups. So you could set it up that every computer in your home network has different workgroups, if you want to make your life hard (as you'll have to choose the right workgroup each time).

A domain, though, is a workgroup with at least one central domain controller, the primary domain controller ("PDC"). Mostly, you'll have multiple domain controllers for backup reasons.