Apple in search of engineering manager to oversee next-generation Apple TV

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Apple this week buoyed rumors of a more advanced version of its Apple TV product being under development with a new job listing that seeks an engineering lead to help oversee development of features destined for the much-anticipated overhaul of the platform.

Apple TV

The listing, which turned up on Apple's own jobs listing website Thursday, seeks a qualified engineering manager with a proven track record of technical leadership, delivering consumer products with aggressive schedules.
The Apple TV team is looking for an experienced engineering manager to help deliver the next generation features for Apple TV. Bring your creative energy and engineering discipline, and help us bring the Apple experience to the Living Room.
The call put out by Apple comes on the heels of back-and-forth rumors over whether Apple will use a media event sometime in the next couple of months to, at a bare minimum, discuss plans for an overhaul of Apple TV that would materialize later in the year.

"It will have the simplest user interface you could imagine," Jobs was quoted as saying. "I finally cracked it."
While industry watchers have for years been predicting that Apple would expand its Apple TV device from a niche product into a bustling platform that would reshape the television experience, the company has thus far produced only minor updates to the device through software and processor upgrades -- this despite claims made by late Apple co-founder Steve Jobs to official biographer Walter Isaacson that he had "finally cracked" the secret to the future of television.

Rumors that 2013 could finally be the year for Apple's TV revolution received a shot in the arm earlier this week when an analyst for Jefferies Equity Research said he'd heard chatter of a March media event from Apple that could lay the groundwork for a launch later in the year.

Although those rumors were quickly shot down, other analysts -- including the well-respected Gene Munster of Piper Jaffray -- have since gone on to advise clients that Apple is still likely to introduce an updated version of Apple TV within the next 6 months, with an updated version of its operating system that could serve to 'prime the pump' for the ultimate television.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member
    Most people agree the full app store would be a killer addition to the Apple TV. I guess Apple's dilema is what to use as a remote. The current remote would be useless for playing games for example. iOS is a touch screen operating system and since you can't touch your TV screen that presents a big hurdle. Using an iPod touch, iPhone, or iPad if done in a very clever way might be an option but also presents unique problems. For many apps you need to look at the screen while controlling it but you wouldn't be able to look at your iPad and TV at the same time.

Perhaps they would have to do something similar that they did with iPad designed apps. Developers could modify apps specifically to work on an Apple TV. Then have a remote app for your iOS device that is smart enough to see what app you are using on your Apple TV and configures the controls for that app in a way that you don't need to look down often to use it.

Personally, I wish they could make a remote along the lines of the PS3 controllers since they are comfortable to hold, very sturdy, hold a charge a long time, and very responsive. But if they bring the whole app store to the Apple TV, figuring out the remote control will be the biggest issue and most important to it's success.

They also have the option of doing something like the Microsoft Kinnect or Playstation Eye and I believe there were some patents by Apple for something like this not that long ago. Even if they do that, they will still need something for the couch potatoes as well who don't want to stand for an extended amount of time to play apps.
  • Reply 2 of 22
    Two predictions for the next Apple TV hockey puck:

1. No optical drive. Apple is still working hard to stamp out (pun intended) rotating plastic discs forever. They don't want you to play them. They don't want you to burn them. The Apple TV will never have a disc slot. Because Apple wants you to store your wedding videos on your Macs or, better yet, in iCloud. DVDs and Blu-Ray discs are the new floppy.

2. No DVR function. Apple is extending the "no disc burning" beyond plastic. They're working to eliminate home recording of content entirely. And how could they eliminate time-shifting of content? By providing real-time streaming like they've done for iTunes Festival concerts and on-demand playback of recorded content. Been there, done that, and it's all way beyond the proof-of-concept stage now.

Eliminating those two features will allow Apple to keep the Apple TV device simple, cheap, and small. An "iCloud receiver" in your living room.

There are also several reasons why Apple doesn't actually need to ship a big-screen device (and why it still wouldn't be a "television" per se even if they did.) And there's a lot to be said about the critical role of iAd in Apple's plans for the TV industry. But those are different threads. All in good time.
  • Reply 3 of 22
    I agree. There are some categories of games or apps that would initially work well regardless. Driving games for example, if you're merely using the iOS device as a steering wheel during game play and maybe one one quarter of the screen is gas, another brake, and the other two are for weapons or options. It's a bit Wii-mote in that respect.

Another thought, didn't Apple file a patent for a haptic feedback through a touch screen? If so, that would be useful in creating more complex controls that could be operated via touch without looking.

For apps, the iOS device acts just like a touchpad, which people are already very familiar with using while looking at the screen and adjusting hand/eye coordination and the movement on the touchpad to moving in space on the screen.

• Reply 4 of 22
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member

If they're just putting out a job posting for this now we won't be seeing anything anytime soon.

• Reply 5 of 22

I guess the Apple TV will be Steve Job's last swan song since he's "cracked" the user interface.

• Reply 6 of 22

Quote:

Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

Two predictions for the next Apple TV hockey puck:

1. No optical drive. Apple is still working hard to stamp out (pun intended) rotating plastic discs forever. They don't want you to play them. They don't want you to burn them. The Apple TV will never have a disc slot. Because Apple wants you to store your wedding videos on your Macs or, better yet, in iCloud. DVDs and Blu-Ray discs are the new floppy.

2. No DVR function. Apple is extending the "no disc burning" beyond plastic. They're working to eliminate home recording of content entirely. And how could they eliminate time-shifting of content? By providing real-time streaming like they've done for iTunes Festival concerts and on-demand playback of recorded content. Been there, done that, and it's all way beyond the proof-of-concept stage now.

Eliminating those two features will allow Apple to keep the Apple TV device simple, cheap, and small. An "iCloud receiver" in your living room.

There are also several reasons why Apple doesn't actually need to ship a big-screen device (and why it still wouldn't be a "television" per se even if they did.) And there's a lot to be said about the critical role of iAd in Apple's plans for the TV industry. But those are different threads. All in good time.

Love how you are so sure of yourself. :)

• Reply 7 of 22
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

[...], better yet, in iCloud. DVDs and Blu-Ray discs are the new floppy.

[...]They're working to eliminate home recording of content entirely. And how could they eliminate time-shifting of content? By providing real-time streaming like they've done for iTunes Festival concerts and on-demand playback of recorded content. 

I hope they keep the ability to store full videos and stream from iTunes. My vacation home has no cable so the only Internet access I have is my 4G cellular wifi hotspot which is too slow and expensive to stream movies (no LTE there yet). I usually load up my 2TB firewire drive with movies before I go.

• Reply 8 of 22
    mstone wrote: »
    I hope they keep the ability to store full videos and stream from iTunes. My vacation home has no cable so the only Internet access I have is my 4G cellular wifi hotspot which is too slow and expensive to stream movies (no LTE there yet). I usually load up my 2TB firewire drive with movies before I go.

And then play them via your Mac?

Where is this vacation home and am I invited?
  • Reply 9 of 22

Originally Posted by GadgetCanada View Post

I guess the Apple TV will be Steve Job's last swan song since he's "cracked" the user interface.

I still think he was making one last joke in saying that to terrify the rest of the TV market.

Apple will certainly expand their television presence, but it's not the "interface" that will be the reason for their success. 

• Reply 10 of 22

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

And then play them via your Mac?

Where is this vacation home and am I invited?

Yes through iTunes.

Did I say vacation home? I meant vacation shack.image Remember the one Crocodile Dundee had? Sort of like that. Spectacular view though. 

I just bought it last year but once I renovate I'll let you know.

• Reply 11 of 22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I still think he was making one last joke in saying that to terrify the rest of the TV market.

Apple will certainly expand their television presence, but it's not the "interface" that will be the reason for their success. 

That would have been just like Steve, eh?  May he RIP.

And I agree.  The "future" of the Apple TV won't be interface or console.  It's breaking the stranglehold that cable providers have over content, just like iTunes did to the major music labels.  Can you imagine being able to just select the channels you want to subscribe to w/o the 100 others you never watch?  Game changer.

• Reply 12 of 22

Quote:

Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

That would have been just like Steve, eh?  May he RIP.

And I agree.  The "future" of the Apple TV won't be interface or console.  It's breaking the stranglehold that cable providers have over content, just like iTunes did to the major music labels.  Can you imagine being able to just select the channels you want to subscribe to w/o the 100 others you never watch?  Game changer.

Or make your own movies and sell them through the App store Movie store, minus 30% of course.

• Reply 13 of 22
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member

Quote:

Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

Most people agree the full app store would be a killer addition to the Apple TV. I guess Apple's dilema is what to use as a remote.

Personally, I wish they could make a remote along the lines of the PS3 controllers since they are comfortable to hold, very sturdy, hold a charge a long time, and very responsive. But if they bring the whole app store to the Apple TV, figuring out the remote control will be the biggest issue and most important to it's success.

I couldn't agree more. Dedicated hardware game controllers are a must for this product to play with the big box. And I agree with your thinking of the PS3 controller as a good analogy. I hope Apple has the sense to see this.

But the other dilemma, does an Apple TV box with an App Store negate the want or need for customers to buy a TV from Apple, if and when they produce one alongside the Apple TV box? I say yes. I say they should wait until they have a decent TV Show package to subsidise the price of admission for their TV, and release the TV subsidised on-contract with a TV subscription, and keep the App Store exclusive to the TV product itself.

And yes, improve the Apple TV box, and provide all of the TV content they can for it, but keep the TV App Store exclusive to iTV to push people towards the far improved integrated experience, give Apple total control over the consumer's living room experience and seal the deal with a revolutionary (& subsidised) TV from Apple that cost perhaps $699.

• Reply 14 of 22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

If they're just putting out a job posting for this now we won't be seeing anything anytime soon.

Not only that, but it tells me they don't really have a concrete plan for the apple tv. The wording "aggressive schedules" caught my eye. I've only owned Macs for 6 years or so, but I would never describe their schedules as aggressive. Another reason why I don't think they have a plan here.

• Reply 15 of 22

Quote:

Originally Posted by amador_o View Post

Not only that, but it tells me they don't really have a concrete plan for the apple tv. The wording "aggressive schedules" caught my eye. I've only owned Macs for 6 years or so, but I would never describe their schedules as aggressive. Another reason why I don't think they have a plan here.

Nah, they only put this listing up to make the analysts head explode.  They already have an engineering manager for Apple TV image

• Reply 16 of 22
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    mstone wrote: »
    Yes through iTunes.

Did I say vacation home? I meant vacation shack.:lol:  Remember the one Crocodile Dundee had? Sort of like that. Spectacular view though. 

I just bought it last year but once I renovate I'll let you know.

Sounds good. I'll bring my banjo.
  • Reply 17 of 22
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    Add a mic (for Siri) and an accelerometer/gyroscope to the current Apple TV remote, and you have a compact and pretty good controller for playing Apple TV specific games as well as improved interface navigation capabilities - as long as its integrated properly into software of course.
  • Reply 18 of 22

Quote:

Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

Most people agree the full app store would be a killer addition to the Apple TV. I guess Apple's dilema is what to use as a remote. The current remote would be useless for playing games for example. iOS is a touch screen operating system and since you can't touch your TV screen that presents a big hurdle. Using an iPod touch, iPhone, or iPad if done in a very clever way might be an option but also presents unique problems. For many apps you need to look at the screen while controlling it but you wouldn't be able to look at your iPad and TV at the same time.

I disagree that most people have this view. Most geeks that think Apple has to give them what they want, sure. But outside of that small group most people probably have no opinion on the matter.

As for myself I disagree with the notion that the Apple TV needs the App store. You can Airplay/Airplay mirror basically everything off your device. So there's  your full store and your remote. There are even SDKs for using your apps with Airplay and with using an iPhone or 3rd party game controller.

• Reply 19 of 22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

If these are the first people they are hiring sure but it might not be 

• Reply 20 of 22
    haarhaar Posts: 563member
    um, the ultimate tv WILL be a 4K set... (3840x2160)... but at 25000 dollars and less...

but, with apple being state-of-the-art, i will be VERY tough for them to release a state-of-the-art tv at a usual resolution of 1080p... every feature that could be in a TV has already been thought of... so an apple TV screen would need to be mind blowing... (but For Apple it is not impossible... they do have a history of doing so...)

an apple tv at 150 dollars that could be a MythTv frontend(wth 2X advanced Deinterlacing) would be great...