Rumored HTC handset looks even more like an iPhone 5 in leaked photo

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
A photo of what is thought to be the next-generation HTC One handset was purportedly leaked to the Web on Friday, showing the smartphone clad in a "slate and black" colorway similar to Apple's iPhone 5.

HTC M7

Codenamed "M7," the rumored handset is slated to launch in Europe and North America next week and takes a number of design cues from Apple's most recent iPhone, including chamfered edges, top and bottom screen "borders," and now what appears to be a black anodized frame.

First spotted by Unwired View, the leaked image yields no additional clues as to the design of the HTC device. A similar photo of the same phone, this time in silver, was seen earlier this month and was thought to be an image meant for members of the press.

As for the device's internal hardware, speculation points to a 4.7-inch full HD display and Qualcomm's 1.7GHz quad-core Snapdragon processor.

Other rumors have pegged the M7 as being HTC's successor to the HTC One, and note a launch will likely take place on Feb. 19. Pricing is expected to be in line with current models, starting at $200 for the 32GB version and moving to $300 for the 64GB iteration.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 54
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member

Makes sense that cell manufacturers would copy an original.

• Reply 2 of 54
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Everybody wants to be Apple. That's a fact. Even the iHater crowd secretly wish to be fanboys but they can't bring themselves to do it. So they live vicariously on sites like AI, MacRumors, MacNN and the like.

Apple, proudly doomed and going out of business since 1976.
  • Reply 3 of 54

The chamfers? Definitely. The angle of the curves? Yeah. 

The rest? Eh, not really. Is there a back shot? The front here looks more like the back of the iPhone.

And I'm reminded of that great quote: "The back of our computer looks better than the front of theirs!"

• Reply 4 of 54
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    Good point [B]ikrupp[/B].
  • Reply 5 of 54
    I am actually surprised that not much has been made of resemblance between the BlackBerry Z10 and iPhone 5. This is getting ridiculous.
  • Reply 6 of 54
    I think what we need to take away here is that the iPhone 5 could have a 4.7" screen by only slightly increasing it's dimensions. That is if that photo is to scale.
  • Reply 7 of 54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

The chamfers? Definitely. The angle of the curves? Yeah. 

The rest? Eh, not really. Is there a back shot? The front here looks more like the back of the iPhone.

And I'm reminded of that great quote: "The back of our computer looks better than the front of theirs!"

"Angle of the curves"? Curves have angles? Maybe you are referring to the radius?

I do agree about the back of the iPhone 5. Despite Apple's videos, I really do not think most people (even here) appreciate the marvelous engineering embedded therein. But here is the problem - it is covered up on >75% of the units.

• Reply 8 of 54
    Looks like the Blackberry z10. Or iPhone 5. I dunno. I thought fandroids hated the iPhone design.
  • Reply 9 of 54

Well that agreement Apple had with HTC looks to be 86'd...

• Reply 10 of 54

Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

"Angle of the curves"? Curves have angles? Maybe you are referring to the radius?

Yeah, the arc; you're right. 

But here is the problem - it is covered up on >75% of the units.

Do we have reasonable numbers for the people that use cases?

• Reply 11 of 54
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    I've seen some other 'leaked' pictures online and this phone looks almost nothing like the iPhone 5.
  • Reply 12 of 54
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

I've seen some other 'leaked' pictures online and this phone looks almost nothing like the iPhone 5.

Not only that, but this image sure doesn't look like a "photo", especially with that oh-so-perfect little glare line.

• Reply 13 of 54
    I guess I'm a "fandroid" now, at least I ditched my iPhone 4 in favor of a GS 3 last year. Anyway, I don't have an issue with the iPhone aesthetics so much as I do with the OS and phone screen size. The iPhone "design" is pretty nifty otherwise.
  • Reply 14 of 54
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Looks more like a BB Z10... (which in turn looks like an iPhone 5)
  • Reply 15 of 54
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    So they put the display on the back. Genius¡ Seriously though, the back of the iPhone 5 does look elegant with those thinner strips so I can see why another would find that styling attractive. I dislike the lack of a Home Button on this (and the BB Z10) but each certainly looks nice.
  • Reply 16 of 54
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Do we have reasonable numbers for the people that use cases?

If the number comes from Apple is it automatically reasonable? If so then 78% of iPhone buyers get a case for their phone too. (Apple does surveys?)

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10000872396390443687504577567421840745452.html?mod=googlenews_wsj

• Reply 17 of 54
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

It looks like a photoshop job to create controversy, I'd be surprised if this actually comes to market.

• Reply 18 of 54
    Why does everybody copy apple?!?
  • Reply 19 of 54
    It would be a beautiful phone if the logo were laser-etched in the bottom part so the screen would be centered as in the iPhone's. And the two little holes--or whatever they are--break the cleanliness of the phone.

Oh, and it doesn't run iOS, so why bother. Otherwise it's a very attractive phone.
  • Reply 20 of 54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Looks more like a BB Z10... (which in turn looks like an iPhone 5)

speaking of that phone....the bezel is ridiculous. I saw it compared to a Nexus 4 and while both phones are pretty much exactly the same size the screen size difference is obvious.

But that's off topic.