Apple releases iOS 6.1.3 beta 2 with lock screen bug fix

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple on Thursday pushed out to developers a new beta build of its iOS mobile operating system designed to address a bug that can allow users to get past an iPhone lock screen even when a secure passcode is enabled.

iOS 6.1.3 beta 2 is available to members of Apple's development community for testing prior to the software's official release. People familiar with the latest build indicated it addresses the security hole discovered last week that could allow anyone to bypass an iPhone lock screen.

Those with access to the new software indicated it is identified as "Build 10B318."

iOS Maps

The software also reportedly includes a number of improvements related to the Maps application in Japan. Specifically, they are:
  • Improved pronunciation of roads during turn-by-turn navigation
  • Optimized directions to more strongly prefer highways over narrower roads
  • Now indicates upcoming toll roads during turn-by-turn navigation
  • Added labels for junctions, interchanges, on-ramps, off-ramps, and intersections
  • Added indicators for transit station buildings, subway lines, and traffic lights
  • Updated freeway color to green
  • Updated icons for some location categories including fire stations, hospitals, and post offices Added 3D buildings including Tokyo Station, Japan Imperial Palace, and Tokyo Tower
The new beta comes only two days after Apple released iOS 6.1.2 to the public, addressing a bug related to Exchange calendars that could drain a device's battery.

Apple first began testing its planned improvements for iOS Maps in Japan with the first beta of iOS 6.1.1 earlier this month. But that software number was quickly used for an update issued to iPhone 4S owners that addressed issues related to battery life and 3G connectivity.

Thursday's beta software release was renamed iOS 6.1.3 for developers because the iOS 6.1.2 identifier was also used this week in the latest public update.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    They should have just waited a few days and included it with 6.1.2. Kind of dumb to make so many updates. Many people probably don't even know that there was a 6.1.2, and now they have 6.1.3 coming......
  • Reply 2 of 18
    This is how Apple is going to battle the jailbreakers: Frequent updates which make it inconvenient to have to keep restoring-update-rejailbreak over and over.
  • Reply 3 of 18

Originally Posted by Cheesehead Dave View Post

This is how Apple is going to battle the jailbreakers: Frequent updates which make it inconvenient to have to keep restoring-update-rejailbreak over and over.

I rather think they've been doing it via adding features that remove the I HATE MYSELF I HATE MY LIFE WHY CAN I NOT REMEMBER ANYTHING IT'S RIGHT THERE PHRASE TWO WORDS IT'S LIKE THE NEURONS RESPONSIBLE FOR HOLDING IT HAVE DIED I KNOW EXACTLY WHERE IT BELONGS AND ITS DEFINITION BUT value proposition (this is what I go through every day) of jailbreaking in the first place. I can't remember the numbers down through the years offhand, but I would not at all be surprised that the proportion of jailbroken to nonjailbroken users has drastically been reduced from iPhone OS 1.0.2 to iOS 6.1.2. In fact, I think I'm gonna go ahead and say that it's absolutely lower now than it was then.

In saying 1.0.2, I'm counting from when jailbreaking as a concept was first organized. A hacktivation existed a week after launch day for 1.0.

But you do make a point about the rapidity of these updates. I don't think we've seen this many this quickly in a long while, if ever, and the size and scope of them makes me just the tiniest bit worried that they don't have every single one of their ducks in a row over there… 

• Reply 4 of 18
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    They don't have their ducks in a row, or the ducks are too close to one another?

;)
  • Reply 5 of 18

QA is a tricky process. Time to regress and validate an upgrade for a bug fix, call it A, and the same process for bug fix B with the large matrix of products they have to test against is not just a sum of the two. It also may have been that one had been testing longer than the other and could definitely have much different sizes of tests. I would argue that one has the potential to be much more harmful than the other so it may make more sense to release these separately. The core QA teams could also be very different (or not).

It looks simple on the surface but I would argue that getting each out as quickly as possible is most important and that with the over the air updates available for so many devices now 2 updates is not that big a deal.

I would also argue that if these were updates for something that was merely cosmetic than holding them and consolidating them would be the best and most simple move but that is not the case with these bug fixes.

Just my thoughts -- BTW I worked in Network QA at Apple for a couple years testing and writing tools for the same back around 89-90. We tested previously released hardware with new systems and previous systems with new hardware (hard to remember the day when each new Mac didn't require at least a new patch). The Matrix was huge back then with far simpler combos.

• Reply 6 of 18

6.1.1 and 6.1.2 DID NOT FIX THE 3G ISSUE. Look at the apple communities forums everyone who has a 4S that updated to 6.1.1 has not had 3G access since they updated.

• Reply 7 of 18

Originally Posted by mike232 View Post

…everyone who has a 4S that updated to 6.1.1 has not had 3G access since they updated.

I somehow doubt that.

• Reply 8 of 18
    Actually the evasi0n jailbreak still worked with 6.1.2. Apple didn't patch it.
  • Reply 9 of 18
    I thought all this was already out?
    mike232 wrote: »
    6.1.1 and 6.1.2 DID NOT FIX THE 3G ISSUE. Look at the apple communities forums everyone who has a 4S that updated to 6.1.1 has not had 3G access since they updated.
    with my 5, I have both had 3G since I got it, but the reason is 98% of the time I have had 4G. The other was in the middle of no where with version of 2G and once no singal.
  • Reply 10 of 18

Quote:

What a load of crap.  While I am sure there are people who have issues, to put the blanket statement that everyone has the issue?  Dumb.  My girlfriend has a 4S on sprint and has no issues, minus that fact that sprint sucks. 

• Reply 11 of 18

Quote:

Some people may be having problems, but I have a 4S on AT&T and 3G works just fine, so definitely not *everyone*

• Reply 12 of 18

Quote:

Like everyone before me who's already disagreed–

My wife has a 4S (on AT&T, for whatever that's worth) and never knew there was supposed to be a problem... no issues here!

• Reply 13 of 18
    I'm on an iPhone 4 (not 4S) and still have 3G issues since 6.1 - Apple needs to send out some comms. People shouldn't have to trawl through the internet to find this out. I prefer when companies are proactive about outages or bugs in software. My bank tells me when my internet banking isn't working via facebook or text's me when interbank transactions from another bank has failed why can't Apple?
  • Reply 14 of 18

Quote:

Originally Posted by cde79 View Post

I'm on an iPhone 4 (not 4S) and still have 3G issues since 6.1 - Apple needs to send out some comms. People shouldn't have to trawl through the internet to find this out. I prefer when companies are proactive about outages or bugs in software. My bank tells me when my internet banking isn't working via facebook or text's me when interbank transactions from another bank has failed why can't Apple?

Perhaps you've already gone through these steps, but I'm curious if you've tried troubleshooting by resetting your carrier connection and other tips:

http://www.apple.com/support/iphone/assistant/calls/#section_2

Did those have any effect?

• Reply 15 of 18

Quote:

Originally Posted by _Rick_V_ View Post

Perhaps you've already gone through these steps, but I'm curious if you've tried troubleshooting by resetting your carrier connection and other tips:

http://www.apple.com/support/iphone/assistant/calls/#section_2

Did those have any effect?

Wow... I'm slightly annoyed and impressed all at the same time that resetting the network settings worked. I'd consider myself to be a power user of apple products (have been using them since 1992) and expect myself to find solutions myself however I was just going round in circles looking at info on the net and entering the correct APN settings and powering off and on my phone to reset the connection with carrier. It's unfortunate that the whole thing coincided with the 6.1 release.

• Reply 16 of 18
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

Now your turn Samsung. It's reported that the same general method will allow someone to bypass the S3 lockscreen too!

http://www.theverge.com/2013/3/6/4071766/galaxy-s-iii-bug-bypasses-lockscreen

• Reply 17 of 18
    gatorguy wrote: »
    Now your turn Samsung. It's reported that the same general method will allow someone to bypass the S3 lockscreen too!
    http://www.theverge.com/2013/3/6/4071766/galaxy-s-iii-bug-bypasses-lockscreen
    This is far worse than Apple's bug. First, it allows full phone access, not just access to contacts, photos and the dialler. Access to all your messages. Whatsapp. Browser. Everything most private to you that's not protected by a separate password.

Second, because of the update procedure, Apple can produce a fix for a flaw like this and make it available to all iPhone users within a week. Samsung, on the other hand, depends on google to give them an updated Android base. Then they depend on the carrier to make the update available. Maybe the update will NEVER come. You simply can't be sure.

These are serious flaws in the android model, folks. Not just some little bug.
  • Reply 18 of 18
    curtis hannahcurtis hannah Posts: 1,833member
    timbit wrote: »
    They should have just waited a few days and included it with 6.1.2. Kind of dumb to make so many updates. Many people probably don't even know that there was a 6.1.2, and now they have 6.1.3 coming......
    Yet 6.1.2 is the most used because the IOS devices downloaded automaitically