Leaked images supposedly show off parts of a Retina iPad mini

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Images posted to a Chinese Internet forum on Thursday show what is claimed to be the rear casing for an iPad mini with a high-density retina screen.

iPad parts

The images, which emerged first on Weiphone, show what looks like the rear case for an iPad mini. Notably, the writing and logo on the case are bright blue, where current mini models have black or silver detailing.

iPad parts

The parts shown in the images also appear to be thicker than current builds for the iPad mini. This fact is the cause of speculation that these pictures show off components from a forthcoming Retina iPad mini.

When Apple improved the resolution on the full-size iPad to Retina quality, the device wound up somewhat thicker than its predecessor so as to accommodate the bigger battery necessary to power the Retina screen. It is likely that a Retina iPad mini will have to undergo the same design modifications.

iPad parts

An iPad mini with Retina display has been expected from Apple essentially since the company revealed the current model, which sports the same resolution as the iPad 2. Currently, rumors suggest that the next mini will pack a 324ppi display. Bringing Retina to the device, though, will not be cheap. Observers estimate that doing so will add 30 percent to the total cost of the device.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 64
    Thicker? I can see why, from an engineering perspective. I'm a tiny bit surprised from a marketing perspective.
  • Reply 2 of 64
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member

Retina iPad mini?

I returned my iPad mini after trying for a week to tolerate the screen (this after coming from an iPad 3). Just couldn't stand it. 

• Reply 3 of 64
    Blue logo obviously means its retina, duhhh
  • Reply 4 of 64
    Why would Apple make the text and logo blue? Fake.
  • Reply 5 of 64
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member
    Thicker?

Not interested
  • Reply 6 of 64

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

Thicker?

Not interested

No need to share your disinterest. That way, we all save some time.

• Reply 7 of 64
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member

"Retina" will trump a few mm rather easily.

OTOH that would seem to diminish the odds that the display tech would be IGZO as the potential power savings from that display type would have allowed a similar battery size from what I've read.

• Reply 8 of 64
    Perhaps the blue coloring means the bezels will come in colors other than Black and White? Like the rumor that the next iPhones will be available in different colors.
  • Reply 10 of 64

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Why would apple make the text and logo blue? Fake.

They've not yet been cut out, is all.

Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

Thicker?

Not interested

The retina iPads were thicker. Plenty of people remained interested in them. The mini would still be thinner than the iPad, wouldn't it?

• Reply 11 of 64
    jfc1138 wrote: »
    "Retina" will trump a few mm rather easily.

OTOH that would seem to diminish the odds that the display tech would be IGZO as the potential power savings from that display type would have allowed a similar battery size from what I've read.

So IGZO is not ready for prime time yet? Anyone would have an idea why?
  • Reply 12 of 64
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

They've not yet been cut out, is all.

The retina iPads were thicker. Plenty of people remained interested in them. The mini would still be thinner than the iPad, wouldn't it?

Pretty much this. When I had the iPad mini, I was amazed by how thin it was. Adding a little bit more thickness back is worth it for decent battery life with a Retina display IMHO. The form-factor was damn near perfect to me, just couldn't get past the screen. Hell I'd even be willing to pay a little bit more money than the current $329 starting price.

• Reply 13 of 64
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Currently, rumors suggest that the next mini will pack a 324ppi display.

How is AppleInsider still can't figure out that the iPhone has a 326 PPI display, not a 324 PPI display? This has been common knowledge in the tech world since 2010.

Why would apple make the text and logo blue? Fake.

Maybe they want colors on the iPad mini like on the iPod Nano in comparison to the iPod Classic which means the back logos and the front edge? I don't think that's the most likely scenario just to see how it could fit if this is authentic.
  • Reply 14 of 64
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Until we know we don't know, right? 0.1mm is thicker, technically speaking but hardly a big deal. I am very happy with the mini and have no problem with the resolution. For the ones that can't handle less than retina, I am sure the added thickness will be an acceptable compromise. 

The rest of the world will just think it is awesome and get busy using it.

• Reply 15 of 64
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    mazda 3s wrote: »
    Pretty much this. When I had the iPad mini, I was amazed by how thin it was. Adding a little bit more thickness back is worth it for decent battery life with a Retina display IMHO. The form-factor was damn near perfect to me, just couldn't get past the screen. Hell I'd even be willing to pay a little bit more money than the current $329 starting price.

But how much thicker is still acceptable? How much heavier is still acceptable? These are important considerations with handheld devices, and with the iPad mini in particular. I think the thickness is currently low enough that adding a little bit won't be an issue but weight is less forgiving. Hopefully they won't have to increase the battery by 70% (or more) to make the ASIC push 2048x1536 pixels to the display and still last 10 hours.
  • Reply 16 of 64
    xflarexflare Posts: 199member
    A few mm extra thickness would be a lot more noticeable on a smaller device like the Mini compared to the full size iPad.
  • Reply 17 of 64
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    I hope this is fake, the bright blue lettering on the back looks chintzy and for the Mini to go down the same thicker and heavier route as the iPad 3 is a technological and marketing faux-pas. The Mini's main attraction is its light weight and compact body. With all of Apple's resources at its disposal they should be able to do better than this - if its real?
  • Reply 18 of 64
    The logo in those shots (ignoring that it's blue) doesn't look right either... it looks like the bottom part of the Apple is skewed somehow, extended to the right too far under the bite.
  • Reply 19 of 64
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

Retina iPad mini?

I returned my iPad mini after trying for a week to tolerate the screen (this after coming from an iPad 3). Just couldn't stand it. 

Yup. Exactly how I felt after playing with them whenever I go into the Apple Store. 

It's too small for my taste too, but I could live with that in exchange for the weight if it were Retina. The combination of text being too small and standard resolution display is just unbearable after the clarity of the 3rd iPad. I left the jaggies behind and I'm not going back.

• Reply 20 of 64
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

I'm not feeling that blue Apple logo at all, if this is for real. I much prefer my all stealth black iPad Mini.

It also looks a bit chubbier, which is to be expected if it is indeed retina. Expect it to also be slightly heavier, have slightly worse battery life and also to get a bit warmer when using it.