Rumor: Purported 'iPad 5' case shows slimmer design akin to iPad mini

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Images of a case purported to be that of Apple's next-generation full-size iPad appear to show a slightly thinner tablet with smaller side bezels, much like the current iPad mini.

iPad 5 case
Source: MacRumors

It should be noted that case makers are notoriously unreliable in "leaking" designs of future Apple products, as they obtain information from suspect supply chain sources that many times offer up incorrect data in exchange for a paycheck. A 2011 expos? on the operations of popular manufacturer Hard Candy revealed that the company spent tens of thousands of dollars to get a leg up on competition, and bought moldings it believed to be a next-generation iPhone. The leaks ended up being false, leaving the company with $50,000 worth of useless cases worth only their scrap metal value.

An aftermarket accessory maker used specifications from what it calls a "reliable source" to build the latest, pictured iPad case, which features a slim-bodied design with thin bezels on the left and right of the iPad's display, allowing for a more narrow device width when compared to the current iteration, said MacRumors.

Little else is revealed in the one photo that shows the alleged purpose-built case alongside those made for the iPad mini and current-generation iPad. A hole near the top of the case is said to be meant for the rear-facing microphone, while the bottom port holes show a dual-speaker arrangement like the stereo offering of the iPad mini. A second photo (below), shows the side profile of the three cases in alternatively-colored material.

iPad 5 case

Recent rumors suggest that Apple may move to a twice-a-year model refresh cycle, which could see an upcoming fifth-generation iPad release sometime in March.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 56

Dear Brazil,

You're not getting this in 2013.

Love,

The company you sued over planned obsolescence.

• Reply 2 of 56
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Dear Brazil,

You're not getting this in 2013.

Love,
    The company you sued over planned obsolescence.

Ha, good one.

Everybody else, I have one word for you. Are you listening?

IGZO
  • Reply 3 of 56
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    It's shaping up to look like a Summer release.
  • Reply 4 of 56
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member

I just don't see why Apple would go with narrow side bezels for the 10" iPad.  It makes no sense.  In the mini (which I admit i was wrong about the bezels in it) makes sense because you can grip the device with one hand (awkwardly but you can).  With the 10" iPad, it makes no sense, in fact, it would make holding it more difficult, granted they have improved the accidental touch issues with the Mini but it assumes we all hold the iPad in landscape mode (quite the contrary in my case).  It might make typing with two thumbs better in portrait, but I never do this to begin with.  LIke I said, i have been wrong about it before,  so we'll just see when it's released.

• Reply 5 of 56

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

yeah, usually these kinds of leaks hint at an imminent release is forthcoming.  Typically we see parts leaks about a month or two before the unveiling.  All I want is lighter weight.  I wouldn't even care if they continued the trend of keeping around a non-retina model to save space.  I'm fine with my iPad 2, just want it lighter. It's fine being as thick as it currently is.  That's not the issue, it's the weight that's always bugged me.

Edit: ok, the weight and the sharper "teardrop" edges kind of bug me too.  It's fine if you're holding it for 10 minutes, but any longer and it becomes a bit uncomfortable.

• Reply 6 of 56
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    antkm1 wrote: »
    I just don't see why Apple would go with narrow side bezels for the 10" iPad.  It makes no sense.  In the mini (which I admit i was wrong about the bezels in it) makes sense because you can grip the device with one hand (awkwardly but you can).  With the 10" iPad, it makes no sense, in fact, it would make holding it more difficult, granted they have improved the accidental touch issues with the Mini but it assumes we all hold the iPad in landscape mode (quite the contrary in my case).  It might make typing with two thumbs better in portrait, but I never do this to begin with.  LIke I said, i have been wrong about it before,  so we'll just see when it's released.

I see your point but remember that it'll surely be lighter than the iPad 3 and 4. Adding to it being lighter as well as being less wide I'd wager that if Apple is going to do it then they have tested it to make sure it's not a huge step down in usability.

On my iPad 3 my thumb and edge of the palm don't appear to be more than about 80% on the edge. I think they could reduce it a bit and still not be an issue. I've noticed that eBooks, webpages, and other apps heavy with text aren't all the way to the edge of the display. I think there could be room for a reduction without affecting the pleasure. (That's what she said.)
  • Reply 7 of 56

Quote:

I see your point but remember that it'll surely be lighter than the iPad 3 and 4. Adding to it being lighter as well as being less wide I'd wager that if Apple is going to do it then they have tested it to make sure it's not a huge step down in usability.

On my iPad 3 my thumb and edge of the palm don't appear to be more than about 80% on the edge. I think they could reduce it a bit and still not be an issue. I've noticed that eBooks, webpages, and other apps heavy with text aren't all the way to the edge of the display. I think there could be room for a reduction without affecting the pleasure. (That's what she said.)

right, and I agree it could get a tad narrower, but not to the extent of the Mini.  No way.  It's fine on the mini because 90% of your hand holds it from the back of the device, not from the bezel.  When I hold the mini, my thumb is more a stabilizer than a grip.  On the 10" iPad, my thumb is full-grip on the front.  Now, with a lighter iPad that might not be an issue anymore.  That's why I said I'll see it fist before I fully judge...even though for me the jury is already out :P

• Reply 8 of 56

Quote:

Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

I assume that they want to keep the screen size 9.7", so if they're going to eliminate mass by eliminating volume, they either have to make it thinner, or slim down the bezels. Or both. Something's gotta give. The smaller bezel makes sense because not only do they lose surface area of the body, they reduce the surface area of the glass, which should reduce weight.

• Reply 9 of 56

Quote:

It is, isn't it.  Add that to the rumors of the iPhone 5S launching in the summer, it's gonna be a big launch summer for sure.

• Reply 10 of 56
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

What's the word on what sort of CPU is going to be inside?

The same as iPad 4, or is there some new CPU ready by the time the iPad 5 comes out?

I'm looking forward to the iPad 5, since I deliberately skipped the 4, but I'm hoping that the iPad 5 is even more powerful than 4, otherwise I'll wait for iPad 6, and that probably won't be that far away, if Apple has indeed bumped up their release schedule.

• Reply 11 of 56
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Does anyone notice those side flaps on the iPad mini and iPad 5?  What would be the purpose of those?  I don't think they are "kickstands".

I don't know about these.  I think they are just prototypes.

I'm sure they will pretty much look like the iPad mini that they currently sell only bigger to accommodate the larger screen.  I think making the black bezel around the iPad a little thinner, but too much thinner would be nice.

I would like to see a flash for the rear facing camera.

• Reply 12 of 56
    antkm1 wrote: »
    right, and I agree it could get a tad narrower, but not to the extend of the Mini.  No way.  It's fine on the mini because 90% of your hand holds it from the back of the device, not from the bezel.  When I hold the mini, my thumb is more a stabilizer than a grip.  On the 10" iPad, my thumb is full-grip on the front.  Now, with a lighter iPad that might not be an issue anymore.  That's why I said I'll see it fist before I fully judge...even though for me the jury is already out :P

Let's pretend it kept the same weight but it was 1/4" inch shorter on each side so that the width in portrait goes from 7.31" to 6.81". How much lighter would it feel by simply having the farthest point from the fulcrum of your hand (am I stating that correctly?) by 1/2" closer?
  • Reply 13 of 56
    "I just don't see why Apple would go with narrow side bezels for the 10" iPad. It makes no sense."

I could be unique, or at least in the minority, but whether I hold my iPad 3 in portrait or landscape, I don't grip it with my fingers on the glass. For me, the bezels could be as narrow as those on the mini with no issues, especially if it's lighter and thinner.
  • Reply 14 of 56
    "What's the word on what sort of CPU is going to be inside?" A6X. Maybe a process shrunk version. It's too soon for the A7.
  • Reply 15 of 56
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Quote:

Uh, I'm sure that if Apple did decide to narrow the bezels, they did extensive useability testing to make sure it wouldn't be an issue. I'm all for reducing the bezel, there's some room to do that since there's so much of it, and a smaller overall footprint and less dead space is a good thing. I use the iPad mini with 2 hands all the time and not once has the smaller bezel been an issue. 

• Reply 16 of 56
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Haysdb View Post

"What's the word on what sort of CPU is going to be inside?" A6X. Maybe a process shrunk version. It's too soon for the A7.

If that's the case, then I guess that it won't be any more powerful. If they use a smaller die CPU for the iPad 5, then I suppose that it'll get slightly better battery life, like the iPad 2 did, when Apple updated the CPU for the second revision of the iPad 2.

• Reply 17 of 56

Originally Posted by Haysdb View Post

A6X.

Zero sense.

• Reply 18 of 56
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

yeah, usually these kinds of leaks hint at an imminent release is forthcoming.  Typically we see parts leaks about a month or two before the unveiling.  All I want is lighter weight.  I wouldn't even care if they continued the trend of keeping around a non-retina model to save space.  I'm fine with my iPad 2, just want it lighter. It's fine being as thick as it currently is.  That's not the issue, it's the weight that's always bugged me.

Edit: ok, the weight and the sharper "teardrop" edges kind of bug me too.  It's fine if you're holding it for 10 minutes, but any longer and it becomes a bit uncomfortable.

The thing that worries me is that the only leak of actual iPad mini v2 parts, shows it to be thicker than the current mini.  

http://************/2013/02/21/unverified-rear-shells-for-next-generation-ipad-mini-surface-on-chinese-forum/

Granted it's only a little bit thicker, but if IGZO screen and better camera and all that equals a thicker, heavier iPad mini (even by a tiny bit) I certainly won't be buying it and I think a lot of folks will feel the same.  

This also shows the ineptitude of the writers on this site in that any self respecting rumour monger would immediately want to compare the thickness suggested by this case leak with the thickness indicated by the actual parts leak, but not only didn't they think to do it, it's possible they aren't even aware of the existence of the earlier parts leak.  

The whole point of this site used to be ... (and admittedly I'm talking years ago before the iPhone and resurgence of Apple etc.) ... that it would assemble all the rumours and try to make sense out of them.  Nowadays, all AppleInsider seems to do is just publish whatever dreck everyone else is publishing, verbatim, and without comment or any real analysis.  I guess no one wants to stick their neck out anymore.  

As much as everyone seems to criticise him, DED is the only writer on this site that actually tries to take a bunch of information, make sense out of it, and publish an actual analysis.  Whether you agree with his conclusions or not, and whether he is right or wrong, at least he seems to actually try to be a journalist.  

• Reply 19 of 56
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

I just don't see why Apple would go with narrow side bezels for the 10" iPad.  It makes no sense.  ...

One good obvious reason would be better thumb typing in portrait mode of course.  

For the record, even though it's rarely out of my hands all day, personally I almost never pick up the iPad mini in one hand in the way that you are referring to.  

It's certainly possible to do it, but I don't find it comfortable or handy at all, and I have large hands.  

So the benefit you see to the smaller side bezels I don't see at all, and the benefit you don't see, I would welcome.  Different strokes etc. ...

• Reply 20 of 56
    I'd say it's a case (no pun intended) of a company jumping the gun.