Mophie's juice pack air lets users squeeze eight more hours out of an iPhone 5

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
iDevice accessory maker mophie's new juice pack air battery case for the iPhone 5 is now available for order, allowing iPhone 5 users to pump extra life into their devices' batteries.

The juice pack air packs a 1700mAh battery into an iPhone 5 case that integrates all of the device's major openings and controls. The 2.68oz case adds up to eight hours of talk time or Internet use on 3G or LTE, and up to 10 hours on Wi-Fi. For audio playback, the juice pack air adds up to 40 hours of run time, while video playback gets a 10 hour boost.

The device is mophie's second battery case for the iPhone 5, as mophie introduced the juice pack helium earlier in February.

The new battery case is rechargeable for more than 500 full cycles. A full cycle is when the case is charged from 0 percent to 100 percent. After 500 cycles, charge capacity for the juice pack air may drop to less than 75 percent.

The battery pack is also designed to direct sound from the bottom of the phone to the front. It has a port at the bottom for the headphone jack, and its microUSB charging port will, when connected to a power source, charge both the iPhone 5 and the juice pack air.

Mophie's juice pack air is available for order from the company's site. It costs $100 and is currently available in black. Mophie will also be rolling out red and white versions of the juice pack air, with those color models slated to ship on March 22.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    Silly me. I read the title as:

"Mophie's juice pack lets users squeeze air eight more hours out..."
  • Reply 2 of 16
    What a nice advertorial.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    What they don't mention is that the port for the headphone is deep enough that many (if not most) headphones won't work without using the extension that comes with the battery pack. Unfortunately, that is one more thing to keep track of on a trip.
  • Reply 4 of 16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Larz2112 View Post

What a nice advertorial.

This is a new product and very news worthy.

Especially for those of us who use our iPhones for long periods away from available power sources.

• Reply 5 of 16
    normmnormm Posts: 653member
    You say the case "integrates all of the device's major openings and controls," but it doesn't provide access to the lightning connector, which is the most important connection. Substituting a micro-usb connector for charging only is a major drawback.
  • Reply 6 of 16
    poochpooch Posts: 768member
    i wonder if it's as good as some of their previous models, because those were crap. i know 6 folks, me included, who each went though several of their previous models. the batteries did not charge as advertise and the usb ports on them were extraordinarily flimsy. top that off with poor customer service and you'll never see the six of us spend a cent again with that awful company.
  • Reply 7 of 16

I was very happy with the juice pack for the 4S and I was eagerly expecting this one but them not using a lighting connector and instead having me to carry the micro usb is a definite no. 

• Reply 8 of 16

For the past hour, the link in the article has taken you to a page that reads:

• The product you are trying to view no longer exists

• Reply 9 of 16

Quote:

Originally Posted by mactoid View Post

What they don't mention is that the port for the headphone is deep enough that many (if not most) headphones won't work without using the extension that comes with the battery pack. Unfortunately, that is one more thing to keep track of on a trip.

Well, come on... That's sort of like saying the case itself is just one more thing to keep track of.

i mean, the adapter goes on the end of your earphone cord. Why would you remove it if you have your device inside of an enclosure that requires it. Once it's attached to the end of your earphone jack, it stays there.

• Reply 10 of 16
    So....
    Is there an iPhone 4S in the works?
  • Reply 11 of 16
    I did pre-order one Mophie's juice pack Air to my iPhone 5.

As I was not happy for the built in battery in the iPhone5 (think it is worse then the iPhone4s)
    Now I hesitated because I was not thrilled by my old Mpohie case for my iPhone4S.

This one is slicker, a nice rubbery feeling (not as slippery as the old one, that also started to charge by mistake many times).

So I really like the Mophie's juice pack Air (the only downside it makes the long phone even longer). But is has better button to start charging and it will not go of by mistake. They supply a dongle so you can use any earphones (of course it is one more item to carry).

But hey, it has a nice feeling and it gives many more hours when you are on the road and it the rubber skin will protect your iPhone 5 when you drop it.

Stefan Sweden
  • Reply 12 of 16
    A time will come when a device will be self sustainable without any need for charging.
  • Reply 13 of 16

Pooch said "i wonder if it's as good as some of their previous models, because those were crap. i know 6 folks, me included, who each went though several of their previous models. the batteries did not charge as advertise and the usb ports on them were extraordinarily flimsy. top that off with poor customer service and you'll never see the six of us spend a cent again with that awful company."

Agree. I bought one of their battery packs a couple of years ago for my iPhone 4. I don't the batteries held a charge for more than a few month despite fancy LED's and switches. I later bought a cheap battery pack for less than $20, and it still works fine. For my iPhone 5 I use a larger generic battery pack (Pan Tech A) with a USB cable if I can carry a backpack. Someone mentioned the Mojo Refuel, which seems attractive because you can swap batteries. 

• Reply 14 of 16

Quote:

Originally Posted by NormM View Post

You say the case "integrates all of the device's major openings and controls," but it doesn't provide access to the lightning connector, which is the most important connection. Substituting a micro-usb connector for charging only is a major drawback.

That is what wi-fi sync is for.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mactoid View Post

That is why you would use Bluetooth headphones.

• Reply 15 of 16
    brokenwolf wrote: »
    That is what wi-fi sync is for.

Maybe I'd rather sync and charge properly.
    That is why you would use Bluetooth headphones.

Unacceptable solution. Bluetooth doesn't serve proper quality.
  • Reply 16 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Unacceptable solution. Bluetooth doesn't serve proper quality.

While I agree with regard to many Bluetooth headphones, I don't think that's a universally applicable statement. My Nokia 905 headset is really quite awesome when connected via BT. Much better than merely "proper". Too bad they don't make 'em anymore. I'd get another set, even at the price.