Apple releases beta build 12D74 of OS X 10.8.3 Mountain Lion with no known issues

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Apple on Thursday seeded build 12D74 of its OS X 10.8.3 Mountain Lion update to developers, the latest in a string of betas since the first build was released in November of last year.

12D74

Build 12D74 comes weeks after Apple released the tenth beta earlier in February, which resolved an obscure detection bug that caused many OS X apps to crash when the phrase "F:///" is typed into a text field.

People with knowledge of the beta have informed AppleInsider that, as with the past few beta builds, the most recent comes with no known issues and asks developers to focus on the same five areas: AirPlay, AirPort, Game Center, Graphics Drivers and Safari.

The news comes on the heels of a continued reports of increased traffic from Macs running the as-yet-unannounced OS X 10.9, which suggests an unveiling of the next-gen operating system could be imminent.

While the latest seed comes more than three months after developers first began beta testing OS X 10.8.3, AppleInsider traffic logs are already showing the presence of Macs running an OS X 10.9, suggesting an unveiling could occur soon. Apple first announced OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion over a year ago on Feb. 16, 2012.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    eluardeluard Posts: 319member
    What the hell are they doing with this point upgrade?
  • Reply 2 of 9

Originally Posted by Eluard View Post

What the hell are they doing with this point upgrade?

Testing it.

• Reply 3 of 9
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    They have a new way of distributing beta versions of the OS now, the Mac App Store itself can do it. They may have decided to leverage this to do more betas than in the past, in which case it's always going to be like this from now on.

In Ubuntu you can choose to point your updater at an older-but-stable or a newer-but-unstable branch, and this is kind of analogous to that, but Apple have decided only developers are allowed to use the unstable branch.

Or maybe (and this is what I hope) they have decided to "get serious" and knock off like 100 Radars in 1 release.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Testing it.

They've been testing this update since November. Not that it really matters to me, but this is a little ridiculous. There better not be any major issues with this update. 

My concern is if there is an issue down the road...am I going to have to wait 4-5 months for a fix because they want to keep releasing betas of the next update?

• Reply 5 of 9
    I've been reading various sites. Lion only went as far as 10.7.5, not long after we had Mountain Lion. Could it be Lynx is in the not too distant future.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member

The first seeds of 10.9 should be here soon. 10.8 was first seeded in February last year.

• Reply 7 of 9
    @macxpress- there is *currently* a huge issue with outputting from a macbook to an HDMI monitor. Colors are messed up and we've been waiting for MONTHS to get this rectified. Funny thing is, if you run Windows on your Mac the colors via HDMI work great. You can view the thread here:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4080525?start=0&tstart=0

v10.8.3 is supposed to fix this but ever since I got this MBP in September 2012 I've had this issue. :(
  • Reply 8 of 9
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member
    They probably added several 10.9 features into 10.8.3 like they did with the Messages beta last year and want to release both of them together.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    slide023 wrote: »
    I've been reading various sites. Lion only went as far as 10.7.5, not long after we had Mountain Lion. Could it be Lynx is in the not too distant future.

I think you may well be on the right track (although not sure about name).