Apple studied Nike sport watches in mid-2000s for materials and processes research

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
In a follow-up to Monday's report speculating that an "iWatch" could be more profitable than a dedicated television set, it was discovered that Apple ordered boxes of Nike watches nearly ten years ago to study the devices' materials and how they were were manufactured.

It was briefly mentioned in today's "iWatch" story that Apple SVP of Industrial Design Jony Ive ordered "boxes of a sports watch" made by Nike, though the exact purpose of the request was not revealed.

Nike Watch
One of the Nike watch designs Apple's design team reportedly studied.

Scott Wilson, the former Nike creative director who sent Ive the watches, told Business Insider in an email that he thought the order was for personal use by Apple employees.

"We just gave them to them as designer bro deals," Wilson said. "He and others in the design group just requested them and we sent them a ton of Nike Presto Digital Bracelets and the aluminum Oregon Series Alti-Compass watches."

The Nike watches in question were models from the company's 2002-2004 lineup.

It was only until one of Apple's design team members reached out with questions about the watch materials and processes that Wilson realized the company was in fact conducting research.

"This meshes up with their research in watch manufacturing during that timeframe which has been documented in previous stories," Wilson said. "They definitely drew upon watch industry techniques and manufacturing in their products since the first iPhone. Interesting that it may come full circle to an actual iWatch at some point."

The fact that the Cupertino company was conducting an investigation into watch design is intriguing, though the research doesn't necessarily signal a planned move into the sector. Designers often study designs from one industry and apply their findings to products in a totally different market.

The news comes as rumors heat up regarding a so-called "iWatch" accessory that could materialize as soon as this year.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    Jony intends to copy them! /s
  • Reply 2 of 19
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member

Or he started to work out, not in.
  • Reply 3 of 19
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member

Crapple are such copycats. Companies that copy deserve to die. I hope Nike sues them into oblivion.

/s

• Reply 4 of 19
    tkell31tkell31 Posts: 216member
    Sweet, they started almost 10 years ago so should be ready to launch any day now. Thanks for this cutting edge story.
  • Reply 5 of 19
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Sad thing is there's enough stupid people that will believe this.

• Reply 6 of 19
    chandra69chandra69 Posts: 638member

Apple is becoming very less secretive, now a days.  The thrill is going off, on products launch.

• Reply 7 of 19
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    richl wrote: »
    Crapple are such copycats. Companies that copy deserve to die. I hope Nike sues them into oblivion.

/s

Perhaps they will; looks like they have something on them.
  • Reply 8 of 19
    ALL YOU HATERS. THE APPLE IS FULFILLING THE DESTINY OF IT'S PREVIOUS U.S. CULTURE FOR 100 YEARS. FIRST THERE WAS THE ROCKETSHIP TOT HE MOON, IT WAS KNOWN IN SILENT MOVIES (YES, MOVIES WERE SILENT 100 YEARS AGO!!). THAT WAS A NEW GENERATION OF COMPUTER CONTROL COMING FROM THE INDUSTRIAL AGE AND IT BECAME THE APPLE COMPUTER. THEN THERE WAS WATCHES IN COMIC BOOKS MANY DECADES LATER. YOU WANT HANDS FREE INFORMATION EXCHANGE WITH AN APPLICANCE, IT GOTTA GO SOMEWHERE, DEF NOT A SEGWAY STRAPPED TO MY FACE ON THE GOOGLE GLASSES. PREACH.
  • Reply 9 of 19
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    This is shaping up to be a lot like a lot of their product releases. Historically I say there are too many rumours flying around for this not to be happening this year.

ALL YOU HATERS. THE APPLE IS FULFILLING THE DESTINY OF IT'S PREVIOUS U.S. CULTURE FOR 100 YEARS. FIRST THERE WAS THE ROCKETSHIP TOT HE MOON, IT WAS KNOWN IN SILENT MOVIES (YES, MOVIES WERE SILENT 100 YEARS AGO!!). THAT WAS A NEW GENERATION OF COMPUTER CONTROL COMING FROM THE INDUSTRIAL AGE AND IT BECAME THE APPLE COMPUTER. THEN THERE WAS WATCHES IN COMIC BOOKS MANY DECADES LATER. YOU WANT HANDS FREE INFORMATION EXCHANGE WITH AN APPLICANCE, IT GOTTA GO SOMEWHERE, DEF NOT A SEGWAY STRAPPED TO MY FACE ON THE GOOGLE GLASSES. PREACH.

Health tip: Espresso should not be consumed intravenously.
  • Reply 10 of 19
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

This is shaping up to be a lot like a lot of their product releases. Historically I say there are too many rumours flying around for this not to be happening this year.

Queue up all the Dick Tracy watch patent trolls. I already saw one surprisingly Apple-like on TV the other day.

http://www.imsmart.com/en/store/buy-i-m-watch/color-buy

• Reply 11 of 19
    solipsismx wrote: »
    Health tip: Espresso should not be consumed intravenously.

LOL. Gives new meaning to "double shot of espresso."
  • Reply 12 of 19
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    mstone wrote: »
    Queue up all the Dick Tracy watch patent trolls. I already saw one surprisingly Apple-like on TV the other day.

01_green-watch-home.jpg

That's actually kind of cool, assuming it's color eInk.
  • Reply 13 of 19

iwatch will be just an iphone accessory. The iPhone was the pinnacle of Steve Jobs original vision, the true ubiquitous (self contained) computer for everyone and that was helped by it's initial price being kept low because of telecom subsidies. The iwatch will be just one small sliver in the billions of 'internet of things' that will come from everywhere and nearly everyone.

• Reply 14 of 19
    grkhetangrkhetan Posts: 17member
    Did you forget that Apple has already made an attempt at a watch with the iPod Nano was discontinued last October, 4 months ago? A study so long ago, may obviously have been used for that.

• Reply 15 of 19
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by RichL View Post

Crapple…

Haven't heard that in a while. Almost missed it!

Almost.

Originally Posted by Chandra69 View Post

Apple is becoming very less secretive, now a days.  The thrill is going off, on products launch.

Prove this is happening. See, they're just as secretive as they've always been. The media just screams louder (and more ludicrously) these days.

Originally Posted by grkhetan View Post

Did you forget that Apple has already made an attempt at a watch with the iPod Nano…

Ah, but that wasn't. 

• Reply 16 of 19
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

That's actually kind of cool, assuming it's color eInk.

I didn't think about that. You're right, it really needs to be bright for outdoor use. Perhaps that is where all the battery juice is going.

• Reply 17 of 19
    ankleskaterankleskater Posts: 1,287member

So ... one of the top design teams in the world need boxes of watches to figure out how they are made? One, two or three wouldn't quite do the job?

• Reply 18 of 19
    teresateresa Posts: 2member
    mstone wrote: »

01_green-watch-home.jpg

I like this design! I am in the market for an everyday watch, this would look cool! :)

I am just worried that something that took Apple this long to create will be copied in no time by you know who. :\
  • Reply 19 of 19
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,885member

The tech will be Apple but if the market pitch is like Swatch, watch out! Designer tie-ins, limited model runs, ad placements in fashion mags, special one-off designs. If they do this right, you'll have people buying several of these, one for each day and mood.  Swatch but with a higher price range and higher margins.  Aside from the usual outlets, they'll be selling these in boutiques and the fashion counters of major department stores. That's another leg on the stool for you that extends Apple's presence into an arena where it has mostly been in the periphery.

Meanwhile Google's creepy stalker spectacles is going to bomb so fast and so bad, the social misfits who conceived of this misbegotten product won't know what hit them.  I mean who wants to be around a person wearing those things?