Swatch CEO doesn't believe Apple's rumored 'iWatch' is next tech revolution

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Investors and tech observers are abuzz about the possibilities of a so-called Apple "iWatch," but the CEO of Swatch is skeptical about just how much such a device could replace Apple's iPhone, saying he doesn't believe such a device would be the next smart device revolution.

iMacs

Speaking at a press conference on annual results in Grenchen, Switzerland, Swatch Group CEO Nick Hayek said that the primary difficulty in having a watch replace a smartphone would be display size.

"Personally, I don't believe it's the next revolution," the head of the largest Swiss watchmaker said, according to Bloomberg . "Replacing an iPhone with an interactive terminal on your wrist is difficult. You can't have an immense display."

Hayek also noted that watch consumers often buy the items as jewelry items and often like to change them. Such behavior could represent an obstacle for Apple, as the physical style of any potential iWatch would not likely be readily changeable, though the visual possibilities enabled by a flexible display could mitigate that problem to an extent.

Swatch has had dealings with both Apple and Microsoft, consulting with the former on energy-harvesting technology and with the latter on bringing more interactive features to Swatch's watches. Bloomberg notes that Swatch, like Apple, has licensed Liquidmetal Technologies' alloys for use potential products.

The rumored iWatch is believed to consist of a flexible display that would wrap around a user's wrist, displaying information from the user's iPhone. Apple is said to have a team of about 100 product designers working on the device.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 111
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member

Uh oh. Three words. Dell. Balsillie. Colligan. image

• Reply 2 of 111
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member
    Who said that the watch would replace the phone? I don't recall reading that anywhere.
  • Reply 3 of 111
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,958member

Echoes of Nokia CEO comments about rumors of an Apple phone. 

• Reply 4 of 111
    The folks at Palm, Blackberry, Motorola, and others had similar thoughts when the iPhone released. ;)
  • Reply 5 of 111
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    This is a shock! The CEO of a business that could be in competition with a possible new product category from Apple says that the possible new product wouldn't be a big deal. Where have we heard that before?

While high end watch companies, for the most part, wouldn't be affected by an Apple product, Swatch, and other less expensive watch manufacturing companies would be, and he knows it.
  • Reply 6 of 111
    if real, it wouldn't be designed to replace a phone, but to compliment it.
  • Reply 7 of 111
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    I doubt Apple would try to replace the iPhone with a watch. Instead, I would image the watch would interact with the phone through Bluetooth or wi-fi. For instance, showing notifications, and perhaps being able to answer or place a call via the watch. It would also be cool to be able to control the music features through a watch. Controlling the phones settings through a watch, might be interesting as well.

The watch would be similar to Google's Glass in that it is a supplement or attachment to a phone.
  • Reply 8 of 111
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

i haven't heard about Swatch in years.  Those guys are still around?

• Reply 9 of 111
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    The folks at Palm, Blackberry, Motorola, and others had similar thoughts when the iPhone released. ;)

You forgot the CEO of Nintendo stating that smartphones were not a threat to their business.
  • Reply 10 of 111
    ortort Posts: 39member
    It would be an accessory.

Not everything needs to be a revolution.
  • Reply 11 of 111
    jetlawjetlaw Posts: 156member
    This guy really doesn't get it. It's clear that he is so used to a business model where each new product cannibalizes their own market that he can't even fathom the concept of complimentary product lines. Perhaps this is why hearing the word "Swatch" creates a feeling of nostalgia without any corresponding desire to go buy one of their products.
  • Reply 12 of 111

Does this just make it a given that the watch is real and will be awesome?

• Reply 13 of 111
    chandra69chandra69 Posts: 638member

Microsoft, Dell, Nokia told the same. And now, this  moron.  This fu(ktard is actually afraid. So, he is defending by vomiting out these idiotic words.

• Reply 14 of 111
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    As soon we start hearing from people who "know" an industry comment on how Apple couldn't possibly make changes to said industry we can (historically speaking) be sure Apple is going to 1) enter that industry, 2) change that industry for the betterment of the consumer, and 3) dominate that industry.

bdkennedy1 wrote: »
    Who said that the watch would replace the phone? I don't recall reading that anywhere.

That's exactly what I was thinking.
  • Reply 15 of 111
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member

Exactly! Not that I am sure if this is true or not, but I was just going to comment that at least he didn't say something along the lines of 'We've been in the watch business a long time and we know what we are doing, Apple doesn't stand a chance ... " :D
  • Reply 16 of 111

Quote:

Originally Posted by drblank View Post

i haven't heard about Swatch in years.  Those guys are still around?

Actually, I own a few. They still make a couple of cool, relatively inexpensive ones.

But their design capabilities seem to have significantly declined over the years.

(As an aside, people may not know this, but Swatch is, by far, the largest watch company in the world. They own a number of major luxury brands -- e.g., Omega, Blancpain, Breguet -- as well as high-end jewelry stores. They also have a chokehold on some critical watch components, as one of the biggest component suppliers to the industry. In other words, no one would be more threatened by Apple's entry into this market than Swatch).

• Reply 17 of 111
    An LG flexible display?

Seems like there is a race with Samsung to be the first to release such a device.
  • Reply 18 of 111
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by johnnyb0731 View Post

Does this just make it a given that the watch is real and will be awesome?

The same was said by TV executives over half a year ago. Still no television.

• Reply 19 of 111
    cityguidecityguide Posts: 129member

Quote:

Originally Posted by aBeliefSystem View Post

An LG flexible display? Seems like there is a race with Samsung to be the first to release such a device.

No race. If this come to pass, Apple's implementation will not begin nor end with just the display.

• Reply 20 of 111
    At least AppleInsider stopped using that fake iWatch mock up photo.