US Navy will tap Apple's iPad to battle PTSD with new app

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
The U.S. Office of Naval Research (ONR) is developing an app for Apple's iPad aimed at helping prevent post-traumatic stress among warfighters, a move that could save billions of dollars in associated medical costs.

In the Navy

Naval researchers and developers are working to develop an iPad app to reduce the incidence of post-traumatic stress in sailors and Marines, according to Medical Xpress. The system will undergo field testing at the Naval Center for Combat and Operational Stress Control in San Diego, Calif., this April.

The Stress Resilience Training System (SRTS) is being jointly developed between ONR and the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA). SRTS includes an iPad app that teaches Navy and Marine personnel to understand stress responses and engage in biofeedback techniques meant to mitigate stress symptoms.

The hope is that when warfighters encounter stressful events, previous experience with SRTS will enable them to handle the stress in such a manner that it lowers the likelihood of PTSD or other after effects.

The SRTS uses only an iPad and a heart rate monitor, which is attached to an earlobe. Its four sections ? "Know How," "Techniques," "Games," and "Review" ? give sailors the information they need on stress, as well as how to manage it, before engaging them with exercises and measuring their progress.

In addition to being a major social concern among returning soldiers, PTSD is a notable cost concern. A February 2012 Congressional Budget Office report found that 21 percent of military personnel returning from combat operations in Afghanistan and Iraq suffer from PTSD. The report estimates that it costs about $1 billion in order to treat these individuals.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    "Warfighter"?

Someone tell me this is not the new word for "soldier." Where did it come from? The military? A computer game?
  • Reply 2 of 21
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    So Post Traumatic Samsung Disapproval is recognized by the DSM4?¡

flaneur wrote: »
    "Warfighter"?

Someone tell me this is not the new word for "soldier." Where did it come from? The military? A computer game?

The usage appears to be in wide use by the US government since the 80's so I see no objection to using it here. It's not so much a replacement for soldier but a sub-classification of a soldier who is actively in combat zone.
  • Reply 3 of 21
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member

I plan to try it out.  Maybe it will help me.  :)

• Reply 4 of 21
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    How about reducing demand for PTSD services by invading fewer countries?
  • Reply 5 of 21
    quinney wrote: »

But then that huge military budget would go unused.
  • Reply 6 of 21
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member

I suspect that's going to happen. The one positive of the sequester is that the Defense department gets its budget cut just like everyone else.

Considering that we spend more money than the next 25 countries on the list, a significant cut back in military expense won't be a bad idea.
  • Reply 7 of 21

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

The usage appears to be in wide use by the US government since the 80's so I see no objection to using it here. It's not so much a replacement for soldier but a sub-classification of a soldier who is actively in combat zone.

and soldier is considered bad form for naval and air force personnel (and Marines consider themselves even more unique, since they do it all).

It is less clumsy than "enemy engaged Soldiers, Marines, Seapersons, and Airpersons", and given the Naval Research taking lead, makes sense.

• Reply 8 of 21
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post

and soldier is considered bad form for naval and air force personnel (and Marines consider themselves even more unique, since they do it all).

It is less clumsy than "enemy engaged Soldiers, Marines, Seapersons, and Airpersons", and given the Naval Research taking lead, makes sense.

If this is in any way a big deal whatsoever, why not just create the noun "milit"? Plural with an s.

"Oh, there are milits from all of the branches on the base this afternoon."

Or people could stop being offended by the uninformed. Like fun I can't say "stewardess" anymore.

• Reply 9 of 21
    The heart rhythm monitor technology used in this project is available as an iOS app and sensor from http://www.innerbalanceapp.com
  • Reply 10 of 21
    If this is in any way a big deal whatsoever, why not just create the noun "milit"? Plural with an s.

Or people could stop being offended by the uninformed. Like fun I can't say "stewardess" anymore.

Milit. is already an abbreviation for various forms of the word military. I personally think warfighter sounds drool and uncouth that I think it's likely they optimal term will be defined to something more akin to an Orwellian dystopia. Like calling them Peacemakers or Grammaton Clerics or Consciousness Relocaters.
  • Reply 11 of 21
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

"Warfighter"?

How about "Armed Services Tactical Personnel Engaged in Combat" ?

• Reply 12 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

So Post Traumatic Samsung Disapproval is recognized by the DSM4?¡

Wow, I learned something with this exchange ---

However, I always thought "Soldier" was the way to distinguish active troops from just regular troops... I suppose it was just language drift as Soldier got over-used. Much like the overuse of the term "Hero" for anyone who got injured or shot someone for Uncle Sam.
  • Reply 13 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

How about "Armed Services Tactical Personnel Engaged in Combat" ?

ASsTaPER = "Armed ServiceS TActical Personnel Engaged in Raids"

This acronym should make it easier to remember.
  • Reply 14 of 21
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member

Yeah, another BS treatment to excuse continuing to allow the cause. Just like drugging people when you don't like that they're presenting grief from loss or stress from toxic living conditions.
  • Reply 15 of 21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Sounds like you just want to call/classify them what you want, when they want to call/classify themselves something else that has specific meaning(s) to them.

Example:  Teacher: Ice... Assa...  Aye-sah...   Student (named Aissa):  Ah-EE-sa:  Teacher:  I'll call you Sissy, that's more American.

Personally, I don't care if they call themselves WarFighters, WellTrainedOrganizedStateAssassins or TroopsWhoDefendOurEconomicSystembyKillingandDyingbecauseofOldWhiteGuysInWashingtonAndWallStreet... I just respect a culture/society to self-name.

• Reply 16 of 21
    WellTrainedOrganizedStateAssassins

Assassin: (historical) a member of the Nizari branch of Ismaili Muslims at the time of the Crusades, when the newly established sect ruled part of northern Persia (1094–1256). They were renowned as militant fanatics, and were popularly reputed to use hashish before going on murder missions. ORIGIN mid 16th cent.: from French, or from medieval Latin assassinus, from Arabic ?aš?š? ‘hashish eater.’
  • Reply 17 of 21
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post

Sounds like you just want to call/classify them what you want, when they want to call/classify themselves something else that has specific meaning(s) to them.

No, people just need to not be all uppity when someone from outside their world uses broad words to refer to the specific.

That goes for anything, be it military designations, computer terminology, or ice cream manufacturing.

• Reply 18 of 21
    dsddsd Posts: 186member

But I thought the iPad was just a toy./s

• Reply 19 of 21
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member

Quote:

Originally Posted by dsd View Post

But I thought the iPad was just a toy./s

Who says a toy isn't the right way to go. Toys can be useful. Although I'm not sure exactly how in this particular case it is and could be used. But I'm not a therapist so I don't have the proper data to really judge. But I have read about how bad this particular condition can be physically and mentally so I applaud anything folks are trying to do to help. Even if it means giving them cabbage patch dolls and legos. 

• Reply 20 of 21
    Gee..it's not the fact that we don't financially support them in health and housing.... and make sure they have a job and purpose when they come back?

an iPad app is gonna fix this.

Shit!