Training docs reveal Macs, iPhones, iPads heading to Staples in late March

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
The timeline for Apple gear to go on sale at office supply chain Staples may have gotten a bit clearer, as internal training documents point to a late-March date for the retailer to begin selling not only Apple accessories, but iPhones and iPads, as well as Mac notebooks at some locations.

iMacs

Mac Rumors shared on Wednesday screenshots from training materials for Staples sales associates. The screens describe sales curricula for the iPhone 5, Apple TV, and Mac notebooks.

Those materials showed that the training modules needed be completed by March 26 or 27, likely indicating that the retailer will begin selling Apple products shortly thereafter.

iMacs

Reports that Staples was preparing to sell Apple products emerged earlier this year, with a Staples executive tweeting the news, though without specifics. Subsequent reports brought word that the retailer would be carrying Apple TV and accessories.

The addition of Apple's higher-end merchandise to Staples' offerings will put Apple products in more than 1,500 outlets across the United States, considerably expanding the computer maker's accessibility. Staples' reputation in the enterprise sector could also aid Apple in accelerating the growth of its presence in the enterprise segment.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Based on my Staples experience I assume the curriculum says, "Make sure products are dirty and somewhat broken looking and when customer attempts to ask you for you help try to avoid them. If you can't get away make it appear as if it's your first day by offering no useful information."
  • Reply 2 of 6
    tatemstatems Posts: 1member
    I doubt that they will be getting the iPhone. Canadian Staples have had Macs for a few months now, and the iPad for a year or two, but no iPhone. We were still trained for all three though.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    allenbfallenbf Posts: 993member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Based on my Staples experience I assume the curriculum says, "Make sure products are dirty and somewhat broken looking and when customer attempts to ask you for you help try to avoid them. If you can't get away make it appear as if it's your first day by offering no useful information."

Glad to see they're consistent across the organization, then.  My last trip to Staples...was my last trip to Staples.

• Reply 4 of 6
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

"That was easy.®"

• Reply 5 of 6
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    If you ever suspect your sales assistant has only had 10 minutes training on a product, well these screenshots prove it :)
  • Reply 6 of 6
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    allenbf wrote: »
    Glad to see they're consistent across the organization, then.  My last trip to Staples...was my last trip to Staples.

Wow, I don't think I ever heard of a person going to Staples twice.

If they are going to try and give customer support and service, I sure hope they'll nail it ¡