Apple releases OS X 10.8.3 with Safari 6.0.3, new iTunes integration and bug fixes

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Apple on Thursday finally released OS X 10.8.3 after months of beta testing, bringing a number of new features to Mountain Lion including the ability to redeem iTunes gift cards for the Mac App Store using a Mac's built-in camera, Windows 8 Boot Camp support and a fix for the "F:///" detection bug, among others.

OS X 10.8.3

Just two days after the latest 12D78 beta build was seeded to developers, Apple has released a public version of the latest incremental update for Mountain Lion in OS X 10.8.3.

Of the various system improvements and bug fixes, 10.8.3 brings a unique iTunes gift card redemption redemption feature that allows users to snap a picture of the physical card straight from the Mac App Store using the Mac's built-in camera. Also added to the OS is Boot Camp support for Macs with 3 terabyte hard drives and compatibility with Microsoft's newest Windows 8.

The release also fixes an obscure detection bug discovered in February that crashed almost any OS X app when the phrase "F:///" was entered into a text box.

Updated features described in the release notes:
  • The ability to redeem iTunes gift cards in the Mac App Store using Mac?s built-in camera
  • Boot Camp support for installing Windows 8
  • Boot Camp support for Macs with a 3TB hard drive
  • A Fix for an issue that could cause a file URL to quit apps unexpectedly
  • A fix for an issue that may cause Logic Pro to become unresponsive when using certain plug-ins
  • A fix for an issue that causes audio to stutter on 2011 iMacs
  • Includes Safari 6.0.3
Apple has provided a complete list of changes in a dedicated article on its Support Webpage.

OS X 10.8.3 is a 540.46MB download (793.69MB for the Combo version) and can be downloaded through Software Update or Apple's Support Downloads page.

In addition to the new version of Mountain Lion, Apple issued security updates for client and server iterations of Lion and Snow Leopard. Those updates are alos available through Software Update, and come in at 31.42MB for Lion, 79.33MB for Lion Server, 316.63MB for Snow Leopard and 391.63MB for Snow Leopard Server.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 98
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member
    And I bet they will announce OS X 10.9 during the Galaxy S4 event.
  • Reply 2 of 98
    They also released a firmware update to 15" Macbook Pro with Retina display.
  • Reply 3 of 98
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Well, so it's here. I really wonder why it took so long, I can only presume because of thorough testing and theirs shouldn't be any hiccups with this version. Hope that is the case. For them, I hardly ever have problems with a .3 release.
  • Reply 4 of 98
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    Wow, nice update.
  • Reply 5 of 98
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member

Sucks.  My $4,200.00 MacPro will not run 10.8.  I was able to modify the os to run but not stable enough for every day use.  Yet the box it came in says Xeon 64 bit workstation and yet the 10.8 os requires a true 64 bit rom.  Contrary in terms.  64 bit workstation and a 32 bit rom on a $4,200.00 computer.

• Reply 6 of 98
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member

Been reading a few posts about Safari crashing more.....downloading now to see.

• Reply 7 of 98

• Reply 8 of 98
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member

Fusion Drive support in Disk Utility?  Bueller?

• Reply 9 of 98
    robogoborobogobo Posts: 378member
    tylerk36 wrote: »
    Sucks.  My $4,200.00 MacPro will not run 10.8.  I was able to modify the os to run but not stable enough for every day use.  Yet the box it came in says Xeon 64 bit workstation and yet the 10.8 os requires a true 64 bit rom.  Contrary in terms.  64 bit workstation and a 32 bit rom on a $4,200.00 computer.
    Yeah.
  • Reply 10 of 98

This makes no sense to me unless you have a MacPro from before 2008. Those aren't supported. Or you may have an unsupported video card.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tylerk36 View Post

• Reply 11 of 98
    macinthe408macinthe408 Posts: 1,050member

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

This makes no sense to me unless you have a MacPro from before 2008. Those aren't supported. Or you may have an unsupported video card.

Probably has what I have, which is a MacPro 1,1, which until Mountain Lion came out, was touted in every piece of literature Apple could produce as being 64-bit. All of a sudden we're told that it's not really truly 64-bit as it still has some 32-bit code in the ROM, so go ahead and die even though it's a more than capable computer (but not capable enough to run ML, even if you upgrade the video card). 

I hacked it to run ML, but it's a big PITA and more of a proof-of-concept-to-my-own-ego; proved to be too unstable to be of daily use. 

• Reply 12 of 98
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Includes a secret Denial Of Service tool to hit the Samsung Mobile activation servers...

;)
  • Reply 13 of 98
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

I think Safari 6.0.3 might have the performance-improved scrolling for the rMBP, seems like it anyway.

• Reply 14 of 98
    I've got to get a MacBook Air so that I have mountain lion.

I'm running an orig. intel iMac with SL...an iP4s and I think I'm missing out on the capabilities of ML an iCloud...
  • Reply 15 of 98
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Been reading a few posts about Safari crashing more.....downloading now to see.

From when? Mine is from 2009, and has no problem. If it's so old it won't run 10.8, and you don't need cards, a new iMac is much faster.
  • Reply 16 of 98
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    C
    Probably has what I have, which is a MacPro 1,1, which until Mountain Lion came out, was touted in every piece of literature Apple could produce as being 64-bit. All of a sudden we're told that it's not really truly 64-bit as it still has some 32-bit code in the ROM, so go ahead and die even though it's a more than capable computer (but not capable enough to run ML, even if you upgrade the video card). 

I hacked it to run ML, but it's a big PITA and more of a proof-of-concept-to-my-own-ego; proved to be too unstable to be of daily use. 

Considering the performance if such an old machine, if there isn't something you need as a plug-in card, a new iMac would be much better, as for one thing, it's far faster. It also has newer interfaces, and an excellent monitor.
  • Reply 17 of 98
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

As with previous Apple updates, it appears to include a number of unmentioned improvements:

I feel considerably more energetic

My posture seems to have improved

There has been a slight increase of funds in my bank account

My car appears to have been washed

A number of potholes near our apartment appear to have been fixed

The sky also appears to be a little bluer with retina display graphics extended to the real world.

However, I'm not sure of this last one. It might just be me.

I highly recommend this update.

• Reply 18 of 98
    loptimistloptimist Posts: 113member

Just curious if anyone has confirmed that windows 8 specific drivers (esp. for the trackpad gestures) are included.

I am currently downloading the bootcamp drivers but it does NOT indicate which version / updates I am downloading. 

I highly doubt that Apple would improve its trackpad driver just for Windows 8 but one can only dream.

• Reply 19 of 98
    hrobhrob Posts: 4member

and password for iCloud does not seem to work anymore after the update. "iCloud" in System Prefs suddenly announces password not valid anymore.  

• Reply 20 of 98
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    Yay.