iCloud authentication down for some after OS X 10.8.3 rollout [u]

Posted:
in iCloud edited January 2014
Users of Apple's iCloud, which provides a single login for a number of services including Mail and Messages, are seeing authentication errors, with the problem coming just minutes before the company released the latest OS X 10.8.3 update.

Update: As of 3:02 Pacific, the iCloud login issue has been resolved.

iCloud Status
iCloud System Status (timeline shown in HST). | Source: Apple

According to Apple's System Status webpage, the iCloud issues began a little before 2 p.m. Pacific, a few minutes before the company released the latest Mountain Lion update.

The problem, which manifests itself as a password or user ID error, is limited to iCloud's Account and Sign In feature, which could affect user access to other services like Messages. Apple notes that all other iCloud assets operating normally, meaning that users who are able to authenticate their accounts with the attached services will go unaffected.

From the Status Webpage:
Users may incorrectly receive an authentication error when attempting to use iCloud. Setting up a new iCloud account from an eligible device may be temporarily unavailable.
It is unclear if the iCloud problems are related to the OS X release, and Apple has yet to offer additional information regarding the matter.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    My password has been rejected. I reset my password, but I yet to see if it works.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    davidadavida Posts: 57member
    I can't log in using an appleid from my iphone, but can with iTunes on MacOS.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    Just talked to Apple and they have confirmed their login servers are not functioning. They suggested checking again in 2-3 hours.
  • Reply 4 of 14

Reset my password and can now receive mail.

• Reply 5 of 14
    davidadavida Posts: 57member

It now works for me. Apple status page shows as fixed.

• Reply 6 of 14
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    IAccording to Apple's System Status webpage, the iCloud issues began a little before 2 p.m. Pacific, a few minutes before the company released the latest Mountain Lion update. "

So NOT related to upgradoing a local computer to 10.8.3.
  • Reply 7 of 14

Had the same problem. Here's the fix that worked for me.

1. Go into system preferences and click on iCloud

2. Sign out of iCloud

3. It may fail, it did for me

4. Sign out again

5. Once you get the login screen you can then sign back in and everything worked

I did this after resetting my Apple ID password. Once i was logged in via the System Preferences panel then i could login to icloud.com with my new password.

• Reply 8 of 14
    fithianfithian Posts: 82member
    Mail kept asking for my password on one of my 5 macs. The others had no problems. I checked the settings for Mail on the failing mac and the iCloud account and found authentication was by Password. I switched to to Apple Token and everything was fine after that. Go figure.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    Just installed 10.8.3 (8:12 pm, EST) and iCloud broke. Mail works fine on other Mac that is still on 10.8.2. Seems the issue is not entirely fixed.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    As an Apple developer I have been running 10.8.3 for a long time on several Macs and there have been many versions. Every one, including the latest has worked flawlessly with iCloud so I am puzzled by the number of folks posting about such problems. The better part of me believes they may have issues then the not so good part of me wonders if some of that missing Scamsung money is showing up. :D
  • Reply 11 of 14
    skipaqskipaq Posts: 17member
    I don't believe this has anything to do with the rollout. iCloud rejected my password three days before the update. The only way to get logged in again was to reset my password. That suggests some issues with iCloud itself and perhaps with server updates doing strange things. It took about an hour of trying before I could get all my devices logged in.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    plagenplagen Posts: 151member

Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

...then the not so good part of me wonders if some of that missing Scamsung money is showing up. image

As much as I hate conspiracy theories, it's hard not to believe this one :)

• Reply 13 of 14
    This really stressed me out. I tried getting into my account and was rejected, so I went to the "iForgot" page and entered my birthdate. Rejected! Turns out I didn't have a year assigned to my account (it showed up as -1), so I managed to get that straightened out, but for a few minutes I thought my account had been compromised. Phew.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    bobo28bobo28 Posts: 59member
    Two says later my iCloud accounts are still acting a bit erratic. Seems to get my mail upon logon and then reject the password for any subsequent mail. If I put in a new password, it does the same thing. Right now I'm just logging out & back in to get my iCloud mail.