Mailbox e-mail client fills 1M reservations, adds 'shake to undo' in update

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Dropbox-owned Mailbox announced on Thursday that it has filled one million reservations as part of a rolling release to iPhone users, and is marking the event by issuing version 1.1 of the app which adds "shake to undo" to its feature set.

Mailbox Logo

In a post to the official Mailbox blog, the company also said it had finished moving into its new office after being acquired by cloud storage giant Dropbox last week. According to reports at the time, the popular e-mail client was picked up for between $50 and $100 million.

Mailbox reached the one million member mark after just six weeks of availability, with demand remaining high for access to the iPhone-only app. In an early look, AppleInsider found the client's unique "to-do" list interface to be an effective method of sorting and managing e-mail messages.

Now added to the software's feature set is the new "shake to undo" capability, which takes the idea of undoing text changes, as seen in Apple's iOS, to app-wide e-mail management.

Mailbox Shake to Undo

While a queue still remains for Mailbox, reservations can be placed through the free to download app and will be filled in the order in which they are received.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    poochpooch Posts: 768member
    dropbox has demonstrated that they [URL=http://www.forbes.com/sites/karstenstrauss/2012/07/19/dropbox-security-breach-security-in-the-cloud/]can't be trusted[/URL] with users' personal data. why would i also give them my email account passwords so they can scan my mailbox "for me"? just search the intertubes for "dropbox security breach".
  • Reply 2 of 9
    mistergsfmistergsf Posts: 241member

It's been almost a month and I still can't use it.  "Failed to Authorize" when trying to set up my Gmail account.  Support was trying to help me at first and now, nothing. Nada, No help whatsoever.  I gave up on it.

• Reply 3 of 9
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member

Now if they'd only support more than Gmail....

• Reply 4 of 9
    afsfafsdfasdf
  • Reply 5 of 9
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Shake to *anything* almost always strikes me as a lame idea. It really doesn't make sense, even shake to roll dice seems contrived. I still get apps that read a drop to a soft chair as an undo. I try to turn it off because it's dumb.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    I agree with Jeff. In my experience it is a clumsy and non-intuitive UI element. Most people don't even know you can shake to undo and a shake is easy to invoke when you don't intend to and it usually takes a couple of tries when you do. I guess it's better than no undo, but when I want to shuffle songs I just tap the button.
  • Reply 7 of 9

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pooch View Post

dropbox has demonstrated that they can't be trusted with users' personal data. why would i also give them my email account passwords so they can scan my mailbox "for me"? just search the intertubes for "dropbox security breach".

you lost me at 'intertubes'

• Reply 8 of 9

shake to anything is dumb and slightly dangerous

• Reply 9 of 9
    _rick_v__rick_v_ Posts: 142member
    Adding my voice to the chorus: "Shake to [something]" is dumb. Hard to use, except for when you didn't want it to.

I always turn it off for any given app that supports it.