Purported Apple 'iPhone 5S' parts show home button, vibration

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
New images have emerged online purporting to show the home button and vibration module for the next iteration of Apple's iPhone.

parts

The images, posted to a Japanese forum and publicized by NWE, are plain shots of detached smartphone components against a white background. The supposed "iPhone 5S" home button bears some similarities to the home button seen in the iPhone 5, however the connectors and circuitry running from the new button are much changed from its supposed predecessor.

The serial numbers shown on each of the home buttons are similar, which could indicate a higher likelihood that the pictured part is indeed from a future Apple device.

Less information is available regarding the supposed vibrational unit for a so-called "iPhone 5S." The unit pictured doesn't bear any serial numbers or other identification, but it appeared on the same site as the purported home button.

partsy

Friday's report notes that it is impossible to determine whether these are indeed parts from a future Apple product. The same site in January published a different set of supposed iPhone 5S and iPhone 6 parts, saying that the devices were slated for release over the next several months.

While rumors and part leaks for forthcoming Apple products are nothing new, rumor mill activity has increased over the last few months, with analysts and investors expecting Apple to release one or more new iPhone models in the coming months. Among the most prevalent rumors is the possibility of a cheaper iPhone, most recently rumored to be made from plastic, with a non-Retina display and summer availability.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 38
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member
    parts...is parts....
  • Reply 2 of 38
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    So .. no fingerprint reader under the button then. Good.
  • Reply 3 of 38
    wingswings Posts: 261member
    I wouldn't say no fingerprint sensor on that button ... it's got at least 10 connections to it (see the connector). You wouldn't need 10 connections just for a button.
  • Reply 4 of 38
    gazoobee wrote: »
    So .. no fingerprint reader under the button then. Good.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. An "under glass" fingerprint reader would be kind of neat, if it did away with the home button, and then a "home bar" could be put in its place with a UI solution that could be swiped up and down like the notification center, but otherwise it seems gimmicky.
  • Reply 5 of 38
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by Wings View Post

I wouldn't say no fingerprint sensor on that button ... it's got at least 10 connections to it (see the connector). You wouldn't need 10 connections just for a button.

Isn't that what the connector has always been?

• Reply 6 of 38
    Is there not a fingerprint reader? There is some reason for the extra contacts on that flex cable. Keep in mind the authentec stuff reads the layer below the surface of your skin. Even if they didn't integrate the fingerprint sensor the extra contacts are for something. They had some reason to go from 2 to 10.
  • Reply 7 of 38

Is it not technically feasible to use the screen as a fingerprint sensor? It would certainly be more user friendly.

• Reply 8 of 38
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    For heaven's sake can we get some Mac Pro rumors for a change?
  • Reply 9 of 38

Originally Posted by xclntgig View Post

Is it not technically feasible to use the screen as a fingerprint sensor? It would certainly be more user friendly.

I mentioned this in another thread, but there's a new touchscreen tech that reads the capacitance of the user touching it. Not only could this be used for multiple accounts on the same device (bad idea, in my opinion), it could be used for security purposes.

"Oh, you know the password but your capacitance differs from my owner's. NOT GONNA HAPPEN, HOTSHOT."

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

"Coming in 2013."

Ooh, when are the next two families of GPUs being released? ATI's 8000 series and Nvidia's… whatever they're on now? That could be an indicator as much as Intel's inability to release Haswell on time chip schedule.

• Reply 10 of 38
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member
    All I need to know. Time to order the BB10. These cables are just an evolution.
  • Reply 11 of 38
    bregaladbregalad Posts: 816member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I mentioned this in another thread, but there's a new touchscreen tech that reads the capacitance of the user touching it. Not only could this be used for multiple accounts on the same device (bad idea, in my opinion), it could be used for security purposes.

"Oh, you know the password but your capacitance differs from my owner's. NOT GONNA HAPPEN, HOTSHOT."

Can a person's capacitance change over time? Could we see the situation where a phone locks out the owner because his/her capacitance has changed by more than the margin of error in the sensor?

• Reply 12 of 38
    bregalad wrote: »
    Can a person's capacitance change over time? Could we see the situation where a phone locks out the owner because his/her capacitance has changed by more than the margin of error in the sensor?

Even if that were the case, you could imagine a software solution that "refreshed" the key within certain thresholds so that it changed over time as well.
  • Reply 13 of 38
    chandra69chandra69 Posts: 638member
    Oh Apple, Samsung S4 is not a great upgrade from S3. It does not mean that you can take some rest and be happy. No Fingerprint scanner? This is shit. If this is the case, 5S is another S4. Shit.
  • Reply 14 of 38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wovel View Post

Here! Here! As soon as I saw those cables I was like "C'MON APPLE!!!! Where's the innovation!!". That's pretty much how I decide what phone to get as well...the cables. I can't wait to see the cables in the BB10¡

• Reply 15 of 38
    bsimpsenbsimpsen Posts: 398member

Quote:

The iPhone 5 home button assembly has only two contacts, as you'll see around 4:45 in this video...

Those two large gold pads were designed to mate to springs on some other subassembly. The speaker connects the same way.

It's possible that they switched to a surface mount connector for assembly related reasons, and that the smallest connector in the family carries 10 pins, but I see evidence of more than two traces in the flex cable. So, I think we are seeing more than two connections in the new assembly. I don't know how Authentec's fingerprint reading technology works, but classic ridge detection would require more complexity than I'm seeing here.

Using methods similar to the magic mouse, Apple could be putting rudimentary gesture detection in the home button. Swiping up/down/left/right across the button surface could be detected with perhaps no more than four sensors and that many additional wires.

• Reply 16 of 38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chandra69 View Post

Oh Apple, Samsung S4 is not a great upgrade from S3. It does not mean that you can take some rest and be happy. No Fingerprint scanner? This is shit. If this is the case, 5S is another S4. Shit.

I think we are approaching the time where the wow factor killer feature will be very very rare in smartphones. It's hard to imagine what more they can put in an iPhone besides NFC and a fingerprint scanner. When the iPhone does get a fingerprint scanner and NFC, what else is there? It's like new computers today. There is nothing about a new computer that simply wow's me with any killer feature that wasn't available 5 years ago. Maybe the retina display but that's it. I agree with your comment, I really want the 5S to have NFC and a fingerprint scanner. If not, I'll be waiting for the 6 hoping it has those features. Basically I want to get rid of my wallet and just carry my phone. Even the book book case is annoying. If I could pay for everything with my phone, use my phone for identification, use my phone to start my car and unlock my house, I'd be happy. I would definitely have to make sure it's always charged though.

• Reply 17 of 38
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member

Quote:

Picture (above) of the iP5 button only has 2 connections. Interesting to see if it will do something extra on the next iPhone.

Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Jeez, is this the replacement for the people moaning about matt screens and blu-ray drives?

• Reply 18 of 38
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wovel View Post

Man! I hope you are jesting with us because if you are serious, you fail at life.

• Reply 19 of 38

Originally Posted by Evilution View Post

Man! I hope you are jesting with us because if you are serious, you fail at life.

I would have thought 'these cables are just an evolution' would have given that away. image

Originally Posted by Bregalad View Post

I thought the same when I first read about it. I imagine that is the case, given that the bases of many biometric systems do change over time, but as with any intelligent software:

Originally Posted by DeanSolecki View Post

Even if that were the case, you could imagine a software solution that "refreshed" the key within certain thresholds so that it changed over time as well.

• Reply 20 of 38
    @digitalclips ... Have you seen the one about the G4 cube redesign idea for the Mac Pro?