New Chevrolet Sonic ad touts Siri Eyes Free integration

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Just over a month after its first models with Siri built in became available, Chevrolet has begun touting the compatibility with Apple's digital assistant in a new ad campaign featuring the iOS eyes free feature.

In a possible nod to Apple's signature minimalist design, the 30-second spot shows a white Chevrolet Sonic being driven around a virtually all-white space, the driver interacting with Siri by pressing a steering wheel-mounted button that activates the iOS digital assistant.

Chevy's Sonic integrates with Apple's Siri by way of Chevrolet MyLink, an infotainment system that brings a user's smartphone capabilities into alignment with the vehicle. With Siri and MyLink working in concert, users can make voice-activated, hands-free calls to iPhone contacts, play songs from their iTunes libraries, listen to and compose texts and iMessages, and access Calendar functions.

Chevy is the first automaker to bring Siri Eyes Free integration to market. Along with the Sonic, Chevrolet is also rolling out the Spark, another model with Siri built in. Both cars will feature the steering wheel button that activates Siri, allowing users to interact with an iPhone without looking down to see responses.

In addition to Chevy, nine other automakers have pledged to integrate Siri Eyes Free functionality into some of their models. Those include BMW, Mercedes-Benz, Land Rover, Toyota, Jaguar, Audi, and Honda.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Sound doesn't appear to work with Safari for Mac but worked with Chrome.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    ssls6ssls6 Posts: 49member
    Worked fine for me
  • Reply 3 of 13

Sound didn't work for me either using latest ML and Safari

• Reply 4 of 13
    jpvnjpvn Posts: 40member
    i want it!!! i hate the woman that talks to me in my infiniti....
  • Reply 5 of 13

Wow, that commercial was a lot better than I expected. It's exactly the type of commercial I'd expect to see coming from Apple.

• Reply 6 of 13
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Pretty nice commercial. Gotta love the (return of the) 'two iPhones walk into a bar' again!
  • Reply 7 of 13

Go Chevrolet... Go Apple...

• Reply 8 of 13
    Simple and good ad. The whole thing is about Siri and not the car, yet I think a lot of people will go for that (for better of worse).
  • Reply 9 of 13
    But is it integrated with the navigation system? That would be a serious advance. For example, to be able to ask, while on the highway, a question such as 'how far is the nearest Chinese restaurant?', then 'how long will it take to get here,' following which, to be able to say, 'ok, navigate me there' would be really useful functionality.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    But is it integrated with the navigation system? That would be a serious advance. For example, to be able to ask, while on the highway, a question such as 'how far is the nearest Chinese restaurant?', then 'how long will it take to get here,' following which, to be able to say, 'ok, navigate me there' would be really useful functionality.

I think it would just use Siri's navigation access with your iPhone.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    Woohoo! Go Chevy! I'm die hard Chevy's fans! Chevy's running in my family blood! Boy, I'm glad that Chevy or GM the first company to recognize Apple's Siri!
  • Reply 12 of 13
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,949member
    I liked the last comment on the audio track about American ingenuity. Nice resonance with Chevy's old ad meme about being as American as apple pie. Apple needs to play up its American roots when going up against foreign Samsung. Play to middle America's desire to buy American. (I know the iPhone is made in Asia so spare me those comments at least.)
  • Reply 13 of 13
    If only all commercials were without sound...