Logitech's Keyboard Folios complement, protect Apple's iPad & iPad mini

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Owners of both sizes of Apple's iPad saw their accessorizing options expanded on Tuesday, with Logitech announcing new Keyboard Folio cases for both the iPad and iPad mini.

The new Keyboard Folio cases from Logitech wrap around either an iPad or iPad mini, protecting the tablet and giving users access to a compact Bluetooth keyboard. The attachments feature built-in Smart Cover functionality, allowing them to put an iPad to sleep or wake it by closing or opening the case.

The Keyboard Folios feature built-in magnets that hold the iPad when in typing mode. They also come with a USB cable charger, which provides the Folio's internal battery with up to three months of power, assuming two hours of use per day.

The Keyboard Folio for iPad and Keyboard Folio for iPad mini are available for preorder now at Logitech's site. The devices come in an array of color and fabric options.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    cash907cash907 Posts: 893member
    Wow. Bulky and ugly. They got out of the gaming and audio accessory fields to focus on this?
  • Reply 2 of 13

Another folio in a long line of products I have never cared for.  It would be nice if a company made a slim folio that looked exquisite and the iPad was able to be removed easily.

• Reply 3 of 13
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cash907 View Post

Wow. Bulky and ugly. They got out of the gaming and audio accessory fields to focus on this?

Their Ultrathin iPad keyboards are nice: no folio, less bulky.

And they still make all kinds of gaming and audio stuff, as well as their decades-long bread and butter: mice! I don't think iPad cases are their focus at all.

• Reply 4 of 13
    pembrokepembroke Posts: 230member
    Interesting. The products look clunky but functional.

But what kind of production was that? A white shirt with a white background? He almost come across as a talking head!

Just because one is VP of Brand Development, it doesn't mean one ought to present the products. Why didn't he think to get someone able to pitch the product with an enthusiastic tone in their voice - if not hire a professional, perhaps open up a competition amongst the members of his department?

The same goes for Philip W. Schiller, he's not a great presenter. I reckon he should open up a competition amongst his staff to present on behalf of the company. Perhaps he could briefly appear and then hand over to someone with 'that certain something'.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    allenbfallenbf Posts: 993member

Quote:

Originally Posted by pembroke View Post

The same goes for Philip W. Schiller, he's not a great presenter. I reckon he should open up a competition amongst his staff to present on behalf of the company. Perhaps he could briefly appear and then hand over to someone with 'that certain something'.

Spot on, Nor Craig Federighi, for that matther.  Neither are great presenters.  People can say what they want about Forstall but he wasn't horrible at presenting, at least.

• Reply 6 of 13
    chandra69chandra69 Posts: 638member

Bulky. Bulky.

• Reply 7 of 13
    pembrokepembroke Posts: 230member

Quote:

Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

Spot on, Nor Craig Federighi, for that matther.  Neither are great presenters.  People can say what they want about Forstall but he wasn't horrible at presenting, at least.

Agree, Forstall's presentation delivery was 1st class. 

• Reply 8 of 13
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,727member

What's up with that ring?  Did he win a Super Bowl or something?

• Reply 9 of 13
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Quote:

Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

Yup. That's what made me the most sad about his departure, he was the only guy I looked forward to at keynotes after SJs death, as I always felt like he channeled many of SJs presentation qualities, and has that charm, charisma, and dramatic flair. The rest of Apple's executive team fall flat at that role. 

• Reply 10 of 13
    dsddsd Posts: 186member

No dancing and it doesn't click. How can anyone take Logitech seriously?

• Reply 11 of 13
    homiehomie Posts: 44member
    yeah, those look huge. Why would I want to triple the thickness of my iPad? I like my Ultrathin fairly well but the magnets are not strong enough and it won't fold backward.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    cash907cash907 Posts: 893member

Quote:

Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

Their Ultrathin iPad keyboards are nice: no folio, less bulky.

And they still make all kinds of gaming and audio stuff, as well as their decades-long bread and butter: mice! I don't think iPad cases are their focus at all.

I guess you missed the news after CES. They're moving out of gaming and audio, as well as remote controls and video surveillance, all to focus aggressively on the smartphone and tablet accessory market.

http://www.technologytell.com/gaming/106268/logitech-will-exit-the-console-accessory-business/

Quote:

“We have initiated the process to divest our remote controls and digital video security categories, and we plan to discontinue other non-strategic products, such as speaker docks and console gaming peripherals, by the end of Calendar Year 2013,” said Darrell in a press release. When asked for clarification, Logitech told us the company will continue to make PC gaming accessories. Only console peripherals will be discontinued.

Logitech blames its Q3 results on what it calls “continued weakness” in the PC sector around the world. On the flip side, mobile accessories such as its Ultrathin Keyboard Cover for the iPad have been doing quite well. Moving forward, Logitech will focus more on tablet and smartphone accessories. At the same time, it hopes to strengthen its presence in the PC market by getting rid of the divisions that aren’t profitable anymore. That includes its Harmony remote control business and its digital video security products.

As for their keyboards and mice, both have been turning into bigger pieces of junk with every new iteration. My MX5500 combo from 6 years ago is light years ahead of anything they have on the market right now, short of their high end PC gaming keyboard and mice line. For some reason, they've chosen to move almost entirely to chicklet-style keyboards for their mainstream line. Why in god's name would desktop users want to recreate the cramped, shallow, spongey keys of laptops on their desktop? That's like buying a full sized SUV with the cabin and cargo space of a coupe.

• Reply 13 of 13
    pshakyapshakya Posts: 1member

ipad mini is a non bulky slim and attractive gadget. It is the nano verson of ipad so it has all facilities like audio, rear camera,3G,gaming etc. As it is very attractive it also needs a bit of care that is why we have got the covers which come with a keyboard http://www.jsxltech.com/collections/c1-appleaccessories-c2-keyboard-c3-ipadmini/products/white-shark-3-in-1-keyboard-case-folio-stand-for-apple-ipad-mini?customer_posted=true. This is a very attractive gadget which all the ipad owners must have.