MacBook Pro turned off after plugging in iPhone USB Cable

Comments

• Reply 21 of 42
    Hi. I faced the same problem yesterday and read what the others had done. I only did the other one where he waited it out and let the battery drain. I waited but I don't know if it has actually been drained but it has been 24hrs, I plugged in the charger of the mac and it still hasn't gone back on. I don't have tools to open the back and I'm worried I have to pay a lot to the store if I take it there since I dont have an AppleCare.
  • Reply 22 of 42
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    asdfghjho wrote: »
    Hi. I faced the same problem yesterday and read what the others had done. I only did the other one where he waited it out and let the battery drain. I waited but I don't know if it has actually been drained but it has been 24hrs, I plugged in the charger of the mac and it still hasn't gone back on. I don't have tools to open the back and I'm worried I have to pay a lot to the store if I take it there since I dont have an AppleCare.

You just need a small screwdriver to open the back.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Screwdriver-Kit-30-in-1-Set-Tools-for-Computer-cellphone-Fast-Shipping-US-Seller-/321180756305
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Qvs-CA215P-23-Piece-Computer-Maintenance-Kit-Tool-Kit-With-Precision-Screwdriver-/390805866789

Shut down the laptop, unplug it, turn it over and remove all the screws, putting them somewhere safe. Some are longer than others so remember where they came out. Then just lift the base off. You will see the battery connector near the warning sign:

Just pull that upwards gently with either your fingers or one of the tools in the kit. Wait for a short while and then plug it back in again. Place the back cover on but without replacing the screws, turn it over and try turning it on. If it's ok, shut it down and screw the cover on. Don't turn the screws too tightly just enough until you feel them getting tight.
  • Reply 23 of 42

yay! It worked! My fingers hurt from opening the damn screws.

• Reply 24 of 42

this has now happened to me multiple times, when the computer shuts it self down i unplug the phone cable and turn the computer back on, then i wait a while to plug it back in ( like 5 minutes after i have logged in) i plug the usb side in first, then the phone plug side into my phone, this seems to work. i have no idea why the computer shuts down but i seem to have found a solution that works for me. Hope this was helpful :)

• Reply 25 of 42

This just happened to me. Little bit of a pain in the butt, as I have one of the Uni-body Macbook Pros where you cant just pop the battery out. But Immediately after taking the battery out and putting it back in it fired right back up and the charger is charging again.

Thanks!

• Reply 26 of 42

I just registered just so I could say THANK YOU to everyone on this thread.

My daughter's MacBook Pro had the exact same problem after using a cheap aftermarket USB cord she had just plugged in to charge her iPhone.  Her MacBook died as soon as she did.  Charger light would only light up a very dim green.

I removed the bottom cover and simply disconnected the battery for a minute or two and then reconnected (search YouTube for "how to change MacBook battery" to see how to do this). 

It fired right up after that!

Thanks again.

• Reply 27 of 42

The trick posted by Dan (dsrwdc) works. I had the same problem: plugged my iPhone 5 into the Macbook Pro using an aftermarket cable, got a message that the USB was disabled because it was using too much power, restarted the Mac, but it crashed halfway into booting up and wouldn't start neither on battery nor plugged in.

All I had to do was remove the back, disconnect the battery, and plug it back in. Worked like a charm. I was worried I would have to replace the battery, but that wasn't even necessary.

Here comes the best part. Before finding this forum, I took my Macbook to the Apple store in hopes they would tell me what's wrong. One of their geniuses took it to the back room and claimed to have done all kinds of resuscitation procedures but to no avail. The girl told me that the battery was not an issue, the logic board was fried and Apple would gladly replace it for me for a flat rate of $280. $280 for something I have fixed myself in 15 minutes!!!

Thank you so much, Dan!

• Reply 28 of 42

Try a different USB cable, i did that and the issue has never occurred again.

• Reply 29 of 42
    dcymdcym Posts: 1member
    Hi, I've experienced the same issue and I've purchased a small screwdriver kit and tried removing almost all the screwdrivers with the exception of a few extremely tight and stubborn ones. I've waited for more than 24 hours and it's still not responding either, not sure if the draining of battery method works.

I'm currently living in a city which has no AppleCare stores, only premium resellers so I'm not sure if sending it to those shops is a good option.

I was hoping if anyone else had another method of fixing this besides unscrewing the bottom of the MacBook as I don't want to risk spoiling the screws too.

Please let me know if there is an alternative way!

Thanks so much :)
  • Reply 30 of 42
    Hello friends!! I had the same problem... I attached the belkin after sales cable to iphone and connected to Mac and suddenly the screen become blank. Even the Mac charger did not show any green or Amber light.. I was really scared at the moments and thinking of losing all the data...
    Then sumHow I read the above post ... Guys thanks a lot for all this info.. I brought the PH 00 screwdriver from market for just INR 90 and by the above procedure the problem is resolved... Thank you thank you thank you !!! :-)
  • Reply 31 of 42
    amy95amy95 Posts: 1member
    Thankyou so much for the information above! I'm an architecture student so all of my work is computer based. I have an assignment due tomorrow and this happened to me tonight after plugging in my cord and I was freaking out! Thank you everyone for the great information it worked a treat !
  • Reply 32 of 42
    rosy35rosy35 Posts: 1member
    Just wanted to say a MASSIVE thank you as I had the problem of a dead MacBook after using a cheap phone usb so even though mine is one of the newer models, managed to get the back off carefully and rejoin the battery section and hey presto! Now working absolutely fine! So a massive thank you as the cable had fried not one but two of our MacBooks and now this has saved us a massive bill!
  • Reply 33 of 42
    I made an account just to say thank you!!! I followed what was suggest about unplugging the battery though I didn't pull the whole thing out and it worked!! My macbook wouldn't turn in after using an after market USB cable and I didn't think anything of it til I saw this. I can't tell you guys how relieved I am and how much I appreciate the advice!!!
  • Reply 34 of 42
    I've had the same problem. I plugged an after market iphone 5 charger and the macbook died. Unfortunetaly, i have removed the battery for more than 8 hours. Tried to plug it back and i dont get further than half the loading screen. The macbook immediatly turns off after that.
    I have an appointment at the apple store but i would love to save the charge of the fix. I am using the macbook pro mid 2012. Please, if someone has a solution for me, i will be forever in yiur debt. Thank you.
  • Reply 35 of 42
    I need help, should I wait for the artery to drain out or just go for opening up the back and use the "unplug the battery method". In not sure if myApple Care is expired. I'm worried about voiding the warranty if I open it up....please advise. REALLY NEED HELP.
  • Reply 36 of 42
    shaunnjess wrote: »
    This has happened to me several times. Exactly what you are saying... As soon as USB touches port, computer goes blank, will not respond to anything, power cord light very dimly lit. The only thing I've found that fixes it is to wait it out. Once the battery completely drains, it will once again come on and function normally. I've taken it to the apple store and they know nothing about the problem, and could not do anything. I've had to do this several times. Does anyone know of another solution besides waiting it out? This needs to be fixed. It's getting extremely frustrating.

How long should I wait? Should I leave the the MacBook open as if it is on to drain or keep it closed. NEED HELP, please advise, everyone seems to say opening it up and unplugging and re plugging it back in is the way yogi but I'd like to avoid it unless i really have to.
  • Reply 37 of 42

i think you should just unscrew the bottom of the mac and disconnect and reconnect the hard drive. its happened to me so much that ive not screwed the bottom of my mac. lol. when it goes off, i just flip it over and so what i got to do.

• Reply 38 of 42
    me too I made an account just to say thank you! I'v had the same problem with my MBP 13" and i  followed what was suggest about unplugging the battery  and it worked!!  :D  Thank you again
  • Reply 39 of 42
    Thank you SO much for this info!!!! Had the same exact thing occur.. took to Apple Store, had to schedule an appt for later this week. Meanwhile my whole life is on the computer (I will be getting an external hard drive!) Disconnected the battery like recommended and all is good!! THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!!
  • Reply 40 of 42
    jlanddjlandd Posts: 873member
    kristinv said:
    Thank you SO much for this info!!!! Had the same exact thing occur.. took to Apple Store, had to schedule an appt for later this week. Meanwhile my whole life is on the computer (I will be getting an external hard drive!) Disconnected the battery like recommended and all is good!! THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!!
    Has anyone tried just reseting the SMC?