Briefly: Steve Jobs' 1996 return to Apple depicted in rare set of photos

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
The photos were taken on Dec. 20, 1996, the night when late Apple co-founder Steve Jobs returned to the company he created after being forced out by the board eleven years earlier.

Jobs Returns
Steve Jobs (right) with then-CEO Gil Amelio. | Source: Tim Holmes

Captured by Mac OS Evangelist Tim Holmes on an Apple QuickTake camera and posted to Flickr (via Daring Fireball), the photos show Jobs' first night back at Apple HQ, which took place at the company's theater dubbed the Town Hall.

"I called Mitch, my wife who also worked there at the time, and told her meet me there," Holmes recalls. "We had no idea what was about to happen?"

Jobs claimed he was ousted from Apple by former Apple CEO John Sculley, who supposedly conspired with the company's board to force the tech guru out after the two had a "falling out." Sculley in 2012 said he never fired Jobs, and admitted that his positioning as Apple chief executive was a "big mistake."

In a commencement speech at Stanford in 2005, Jobs said that "getting fired" from Apple was "the best thing that could have ever happened" to him.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    Gil Amelio probably had no idea what was about to happen either.
  • Reply 2 of 19
    jaaycojaayco Posts: 46member

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheUnfetteredMind View Post

Gil Amelio probably had no idea what was about to happen either.

From what I've read, Gil seemed to have a pretty reasonable idea what would happen if Steve came back. Steve never played "second fiddle" to anyone. Bringing him back was effectively Gil "falling on his sword" for the good of the company. Thankfully they had a leader at the time willing to make that sacrifice, or at least take that gamble...

• Reply 3 of 19
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    I read the bio, and IIRC there was no mention of Steve being fired. There was no hard line, saying this or that had happened. It was more about feelings, assumptions and such. I'll try to find the paragraph in question, where its detailed, but it might have been scattered throughout a whole chapter. If I have time tomorrow I'll post it.
  • Reply 4 of 19
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member

Quote: 

"I tend to take a camera everywhere, so I had my Apple QuickTake camera, which Steve Jobs killed within the year. The colors are way off due to the poor quality of digital cameras in 1996, Steve's jacket was black in real life."

I wonder why Steve Jobs would've killed off a digital camera that rendered black as bright purple...  Hmm...

• Reply 5 of 19
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member

Is that Steve on the left?  eeehhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!

• Reply 6 of 19
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Steve was fired. The board voted him out. Sculley is delusional.
  • Reply 7 of 19
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member

Quote:

Originally Posted by tylerk36 View Post

Is that Steve on the left?  eeehhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!

On the right in purple. I can't tell whether you're trying to be hilarious or just being dense.

• Reply 8 of 19

In this picture, Gil is on the left, Steve on the right:  Should anyone at AppleInsider.com already know that?

• Reply 9 of 19

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

I read the bio, and IIRC there was no mention of Steve being fired. There was no hard line, saying this or that had happened. It was more about feelings, assumptions and such. I'll try to find the paragraph in question, where its detailed, but it might have been scattered throughout a whole chapter. If I have time tomorrow I'll post it.

What they did was take away his power to make strategic decisions on behalf of the company.  He then quit on his own.  Which, as he's widely reported as saying in hindsight, was the best thing to ever happen to him.

• Reply 10 of 19
    jony0jony0 Posts: 378member
    If I remember correctly I believe he was simply taken off the Macintosh project for being a bit too pushy and reassigned to other duties. He left shortly after and felt as if he was fired. I'll have to check the bio.
  • Reply 11 of 19
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by Jony0 View Post

I'll have to check the bio.

Because that's absolutely accurate¡

• Reply 12 of 19

It must have been devastating for Steve to be ousted from the company he started...what was it? 10 years. What strength of character and what a comeback.

Me, I would have gone to bed and pulled the covers over my head.

Stevo, what an inspiration. :)

P.S. I wonder what Forestall is up to? And I mean that in a kind sense. :)

• Reply 13 of 19
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,823member

Thank you Gil, thank you. :)

(We had that QuickTake camera at that time but it never captured such auspicious images lol.)

• Reply 14 of 19

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Steve was fired. The board voted him out. Sculley is delusional.

Not the way history sees it. Jobs was demoted in May of 1985 and then Jobs resigned 5 months later. Jobs retained his position as Chairman during those 5 months. If he had been fired as you state then there would have been no need for him to write a resignation later to Mike Markula at the end of those 5 months.

• Reply 15 of 19
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

He's dressed all low-key and smiling, and inside he's thinking "In 3 months I'll be running this place." :)

• Reply 16 of 19
    caseycasey Posts: 1member

Sixteen replies so far and not one of them wondering why the guy's wife was named Mitch? 

• Reply 17 of 19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Casey View Post

Sixteen replies so far and not one of them wondering why the guy's wife was named Mitch? 

Well, it doesn't matter... for one.

For two... my buddy went with a gal name Michelle, but the only name I ever heard her being called was Mitch.

• Reply 18 of 19
    stevehsteveh Posts: 480member

Quote:

Originally Posted by John.B View Post

I wonder why Steve Jobs would've killed off a digital camera that rendered black as bright purple...  Hmm...

There were reasons for killing the line, but this wasn't one of them. Remember that digital sensors from 1994-5 were very different from what we take for granted now, particularly in low-light performance. CCD (mostly what was available back then) and CMOS sensors don't have the same spectral response as the human eye; it takes a lot of design tweaks, and a lot of software processing to get the results you expect now.

The old QuickTake 100 does surprisingly well when you consider the available tech at the time, especially given the price at introduction ($750, about $1175 in todays dollars), compared to a contemporaneous professional DSLR like the Kodak DCS-1, which sported 6 megapixel resolution and an introductory price in 1995 of $28,000 ($42,650 adjusted).

The QuickTake line suffered the fate of Steve's strategy of stripping non-core/excess/unfocused products to stop losses and refocus Apple on what it should be doing, it would have been an OK product for any number of other companies at the time, and in fact some models were sold/developed by Fuji and Samsun. It just didn't fit where it was.

• Reply 19 of 19
    Keep those coming. Apple's history is a remarkable one.