Apple looking into futuristic iPhone with wrap-around display and seamless glass housing

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
In a patent filing published by the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office on Thursday, Apple describes a futuristic portable device complete with wrap-around AMOLED display, all-glass construction and face tracking.

Wrap Around
Source: USPTO

With its application for an "Electronic device with wrap around display," Apple looks to create a portable with the most screen real estate possible by using a foldable AMOLED display that is "unrolled" into a transparent structure.

The invention notes traditional handsets and tablets take on a planar form factor that, while aesthetically pleasing and easy to handle, don't use a vast amount of surface area provided in their designs. Proposed is a curved display that wraps around a majority or entirety of a device, thereby allowing for the most screen space to be utilized. Also included are specifications for cutting-edge technology like facial recognition and multiple flexible transparent displays layered on top of each other to mimic 3D screens.

The star of the device is its wrap-around display, which is fitted into the transparent chassis by folding, inserting, and unfolding or "unrolling." In one embodiment, the filing calls for a flexible display to be folded so that a continuous band is formed, on which various graphical assets like photos and video can be shown. By orienting the screen in such a manner, the invention is able to show a much broader set of graphics when compared to a smartphone.

Internals
Bottom view of device with display and internal components.

As is the case with many modern portables, the display is not only a means of content consumption, but also serves as the main user interface. Indeed, some embodiments of the filing require the screen to be the means of input as no other buttons or switches are present. Gestures are used instead, replacing volume and hold buttons, allowing for a seamless glass design.

The invention states glass or other suitable transparent material can be used to provide a stable structure for the device housing, not only allowing for maximum access to the screen, but also for high aesthetic value. In some embodiments, the enclosure is seamless, though variations can be bead-blasted or covered in ink to hide unsightly internal elements from the user.

A glass tube is called for in one iteration, with the patent filing making special note of the radio transparency of glass, which is key to internal wireless communications equipment. Alternatively, metal columns or other structures can be disposed throughout the chassis to provide extra support.

While the external cross section can take on the form of a tube, the inner structure of the housing can be widely varied, from a rectangular to pill-shaped. End caps are fastened to one or both sides of the housing, though in some embodiments, these caps can be removed so that two devices can be connected together to create a larger system.

Embodiments
Various embodiments of the invention.

Because the screen wraps entirely around the device, it is necessary to have a user detection system that can determine how a user is interacting with the unit. To solve the problem, the user is tracked through facial recognition by on-board cameras, with the system outputting visuals on the display based on approximate field of view.

Finally, the device can include multiple transparent displays that are overlaid on top of one another, cooperatively presenting content. For example, one display can show the same content as a second display, but slightly out of sync to give the illusion of 3D imagery. In another example, the second display can simply present a different set of visuals than the first.

Multiple Displays
Illustration of multiple displays overlaid atop one another.

Apple's patent application for a device with wrap-around display was first filed for in 2011 and credits Scott A. Myers as its inventor.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 34
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    I can't wrap my head around it, but I think I'm trying to do it wrong.
  • Reply 2 of 34
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member
    I quite like this one.
  • Reply 3 of 34
    takeotakeo Posts: 445member
    I don't get it.
  • Reply 4 of 34
    barleybarley Posts: 10member
    To me this looks like a phone with a screen on every surface or a watch made up of interchangeable links with content that scrolls over them depending on which side faces the user. Maybe it can be unrolled to make a bigger flat screen.
  • Reply 5 of 34
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member

More than a bit ironic since Samsung are the only company I know of that could make or supply the display that would be required to make this feasible. Not to mention the anti-OLED comments from Cook and a few people on here.

I think a slightly curved face bezelless screen phone is obvious.  I have been thinking about just such for a while, even before I saw the Panasonic Eluga, which is a thing of beauty.

• Reply 6 of 34
    mobiusmobius Posts: 380member

But if it is curved, surely that means you will end up with a streak of light reflecting down a portion of the display however you hold it (or maybe you are just holding it wrong?).

• Reply 7 of 34
    damn_its_hotdamn_its_hot Posts: 1,209member

Quote:

Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

...I think a slightly curved face bezelless screen phone is obvious.  I have been thinking about just such for a while, even before I saw the Panasonic Eluga, which is a thing of beauty.

A Curved back has been around for awhile -- ah lets see the original iPhone. Engadget'e review you refer to was not very complementary to say the least. Last of all a curved and wrapped around screen is quite different than a flat screen with a curved back with flat ends, and no separate speaker, only the ear piece for sound out. Bet that sounds great, I know I would just love to listen to my music thru a phone ear piece which is optimized for voice only. LMAO!

• Reply 8 of 34
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    I hate to be the one mentioning the doom and gloom an all glass phone can bring. So far, there's nothing that can prevent such a phone from breaking. I have some expensive wine glasses that are made up of a glass that's supposed to be practically I breakable, but I can assure everyone that they do indeed break!
  • Reply 9 of 34
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I hate to be the one mentioning the doom and gloom an all glass phone can bring. So far, there's nothing that can prevent such a phone from breaking.

How about they use something that SEEMS like glass but isn't? Something with all the properties of it and the same transmittance and refractive index, but which is able to withstand that which glass cannot without scuffing or scratching.

"Like what?"

I dunno. There has to be something. We've made tens of thousands of materials…

• Reply 10 of 34
    Corning continues to partner with Apple, developing flexible glass surfaces beyond its Gorilla Glass. The latest is the current Willow Glass. Doubtless, there will be more R&D to come beyond that, as well.
  • Reply 11 of 34
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member

deleted

• Reply 12 of 34
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

How about they use something that SEEMS like glass but isn't? Something with all the properties of it and the same transmittance and refractive index, but which is able to withstand that which glass cannot without scuffing or scratching.

"Like what?"

There is an Optical Polymer called Trivex NXT, which has some amazing properties and I think would make for a very tough and transparent casing.  However, it wouldn't be as scratch resistant as Gorilla glass and it might need to be improved with something like a vapor deposited diamond coating. http://www.bigatmo.com/technology/nxt-lenses/

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damn_Its_Hot View Post

A Curved back has been around for awhile -- ah lets see the original iPhone. Engadget'e review you refer to was not very complementary to say the least. Last of all a curved and wrapped around screen is quite different than a flat screen with a curved back with flat ends, and no separate speaker, only the ear piece for sound out. Bet that sounds great, I know I would just love to listen to my music thru a phone ear piece which is optimized for voice only. LMAO!

?  I didn't mention Engadget in any way or refer a review of anything by them, nor did I say that the Eluga was like this concept or anything other than a beautiful design.  When I first saw it I mistakenly thought it had a curved front surface and thought how cool that would be and was disappointed when I realised my error.

• Reply 13 of 34
    mikeb85mikeb85 Posts: 506member

Quote:

Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

More than a bit ironic since Samsung are the only company I know of that could make or supply the display that would be required to make this feasible.

Indeed.  

Apple patenting technology that Samsung has already invented and shown off at trade shows, and that Apple doesn't even have the ability to build...

• Reply 14 of 34

IMO, it looks very like a hip flask.  Would be nice if it had a reservoir to hold a few ounces of liquor!  Handy for when you get a call or txt with bad news.  Haha!

• Reply 15 of 34
    No lightning port?
  • Reply 16 of 34
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Finally, the device can include multiple transparent displays that are overlaid on top of one another, cooperatively presenting content. For example, one display can show the same content as a second display, but slightly out of sync to give the illusion of 3D imagery. In another example, the second display can simply present a different set of visuals than the first.

Wraparound:  Meh.  What happens when you drop it?  Is the display material strong enough to withstand multiple edge hits over its lifetime?

3D effect: Now we're talkin'!  Multiple layers of AMOLED, showing independent images, could be interesting from both esthetic and technical perspectives (pun intended.)  A 3D effect, with the illusion of depth, could be an interesting step forward in small-screen consumer electronics, obviously.  Especially since it wouldn't require any stupid f-ing 3D glasses.  (Note: I mean just the OS and its UI, not 3D media.) 

And using a separate GPU for each AMOLED layer could significantly reduce the amount of processing overall.  Not an Open GL expert (yet), but maybe instead of a single GPU compositing layers, calculating transparency and such, each layer could be rendered all by itself.  The compositing, transparency, overlap detection, etc. could be totally skipped, because it would be done physically with one layer on top of another in the device's display.  For example, if two semi-transparent layers are moving across each other with a single GPU, it (probably) requires calculating each pixel's color and density for every frame.  Using separate displays would eliminate much of the calculation since the images could move in their respective layers with only simple x / y coordinate changes.

Again, I'm a newbie with GPUs, Open GL, etc.  But if you can use multiple lower-powered GPUs instead of a massive single GPU, it might bring cost and complexity down.

• Reply 17 of 34

Great!  The "lavatory roll" iPhone.  Here's an even better idea - make it larger and hollow, then reverse the display orientation.  That way we can just stick our head inside and everywhere we look is display!  Way cooler than Google Glass!

• Reply 18 of 34
    pdq2pdq2 Posts: 270member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

"Like what?"

Ummm... how about sapphire?

http://www.patentlyapple.com/patently-apple/2013/03/apple-may-shift-to-sapphire-crystal-glass-for-future-idevices.html

• Reply 19 of 34
    pdq2pdq2 Posts: 270member
    You know, it's not a big problem, but with a phone like this you would never have to see if it's facing forward (and upright) when you pull it out of your pocket. Kinda like the iPad's screen rotation, this would just decide what side and which orientation to show the image.

Not sure if that would be worth the complexity, but it would sure be eye-catching.
  • Reply 20 of 34
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member

The first iPhone designed to be incompatible with protective cases.